Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Valiantsteam  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2022 12:44:42(UTC)
Valiantsteam

United Kingdom   
Good morning from a very damp Hertfordshire in Great Britain .
I have a Marklin 16051 which was purchased brand new about 2 months ago from a dealer in Germany who had it still in stock.

The engine runs fine and is very well made.
The Boiler feed pump does seem a bit of a mystery though and i wonder have any other 16051 users or others with Marklin engines that have boiler feed pumps experienced any problems with getting the pump to inject into the boiler .
I did read elsewhere that pinching the plastic tube from the pump to the water supply gets the pump going and i admit i have not had the engine in steam yet to try this .
Does the pump airlock ? when we first steamed it i am 99.9% sure the pump was feeding the boiler but in subsequent steams i have my doubts .
I am very experienced in full size traction Engines many many years restoring and operating them but this is my first experience of an model engine with an eccentric driven water pump i am more used to a hand pump as per wilesco models or of course on full size engines either a high or low pressure steam injector .

Any advice will be welcomed
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Valiantsteam
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2022 14:18:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
HI ...Valiantsteam (funny first nameBigGrin No first name?)
Welcome to this great forum of Märklin train enthusiasts.
Disclaimer, I have no experience in steam engines.
Here is a video of the same engine

Some suggestions:
- bleed the feed pump (Speisepumpe) so to be shure it is not locked with air inside while a transparent tube is sucking a mixture of 95% of distilled water and 5% tap water.
Sans titre.png
(I use a medical serynge instead of a rubber bellow allowing to see if water is coming in and providing way more suction power.

- a manual rotation of the main axle while the engine is cold allows to see if the pump "sucks" water or not (Is the water level in the side water cup, going down)
- the steam engine Märklin 16051 was made in 2005 and available in 2005-2006 so, if it has not been used for all this time, the direction valve just after the feed pump may be stuck
- check in the injection valve (preventing pressure steam to go through the injection pump) is working OK
- be sure to use "superheated oil" for the pistons and regular lubrication oil for axles and mechanical parts

The users manual is here: https://static.maerklin....bcd02080931584349993.pdf

Sorry to bother you with things you probably already know.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Valiantsteam  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2022 14:54:20(UTC)
Valiantsteam

United Kingdom   
I have sorted the problem out now.
I removed the feed pipe from the pump to the boiler feed valve the gland on the pump end was only finger tight so i suspect it was pulling in air .blew through the pipe and it was all clear primed the pump with water from a syringe and turning the flywheel by hand the pump was delivering.
Put the engine in steam and primed the tube from the water supply to the pump using the syringe and Voila the pump works fine and i suspect airlocks were the problem .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Valiantsteam