Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2022 14:05:29(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I Purchased the new Marklin TT late last year and it never worked from the beginning. I sent it back for repairs and after some weeks I was informed that there was nothing wrong with it, so they sent it back to me. When it arrived I tried it and still it didn't respond. So I asked someone who was an electronics engineer and a train enthusiast. He couldn't get it too respond, so back it went and again I get an email to say that there's nothing wrong with it. I explained that I had someone with electronic knowledge to look at it and I suggested that they keep the TT and send me the version 2 TT when it becomes available. A reply email from Frank Mayer agreed to do this.
Last week in the post I received a "new" TT (74861) not the version 2. The note inside said "Turntable has been completely replaced and tested for function." I placed it on my layout and it worked. Thank you.

Now the question remains - why did on 2 occasions did the staff say that there was nothing wrong with the TT ? My answer to this question is that they didn't test it at all. In other words - B.S. The decoder was fault right from the start, so who repair staff, in my opinion, are either telling untruths or are not doing their job. I'm extremely disappointed with this experience and I'm losing confidence with Marklin.

The other question is, Why are they bringing out a version2 so soon after the introduction of the TT , and why is it taking so long to be released ?
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2022 14:38:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Drongo

Difficult to say what exactly happened in your case.
My own experience with Märklin is:
- when they say they tested, they did indeed
- they are not good at fixing non-systematic failures: they make a quick test and when it works, they go to the next subject.

Just an assumption on my part: the difficulty may lie with the MFX accessory behaviour (nothing to do with Loco MFX) which not so well documented.
It also depends on the Digital command you are using.
By changing the TT, they forced on your system a new registration procedure that went better this time

When connecting an MFX item for the first time, be extra careful to have as little other digital items and careful not to switch off the unit or remove the wiring (bad contact during the registration). Most of the MFX issues lie there.

Why is Märklin releasing a new version? This is only a color change, no design change.

All the above is just my opinion.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2022 15:07:15(UTC)
Copenhagen

And to the other question; why the delay? More or less everything is delayed nowadays because of all the problems the world is facing.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2022 15:32:39(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
And to the other question; why the delay?

I suppose one part is shipment delay (from "down under") and the other is with Märklin (my experience is 3 to 4 month)
Jean

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2022 15:43:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've given up on Märklin many years ago, I still buy the odd 36000 series but this is it., it's too expensive to send locos back for repair and you get tolled there is nothing wrong. Happen to me many years ago with a previous Australian Märklin dealer, it was the E BR E 19 with a cogwheel have the side wasn't there after I've opened it.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2022 19:16:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
it was the E BR E 19 with a cogwheel have the side wasn't there after I've opened it.

John

This seems to need some proofreading to make it make sense.

Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2022 05:58:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
it was the E BR E 19 with a cogwheel have the side wasn't there after I've opened it.

John

This seems to need some proofreading to make it make sense.

You're not wrong
I'll start again, bought a new E 19 electric loco 3769, it wouldn't work so I send it back to the distributor in Sydney (many years ago), he looked at it and said there was nothing wrong with the loco, (the problem in those days and most probably today there is not a distributor in Australia who can repair Märklin trains officially). instead of him sending the loco back to Märklin, he sent it back to me. after I've opened the loco I found 1 of the cog wheels was sheared on 1 side hence it wouldn't work.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline HO Collector  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2022 22:14:51(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
I've given up on Märklin many years ago, I still buy the odd 36000 series but this is it., it's too expensive to send locos back for repair and you get tolled there is nothing wrong. Happen to me many years ago with a previous Australian Märklin dealer, it was the E BR E 19 with a cogwheel have the side wasn't there after I've opened it.

John

Just sent back a model that broke down 2 weeks after arrival, Marklin paid for the delivery back to Germany. I got the shipping labels 3 days after emailing them.
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2022 14:12:55(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've wired up the TT and carefully installed it, only to find that I have 10 inserts and 6 of them haven't been made correctly i.e. the rails are not electrically isolated. So now I have to unwire the TT and lift the TT out of the layout so that I can cut the connects so as to isolate the rails. Now this is just plain bad manufacturing, and proves that Marklin's quality control is non existent. Whoever is responsible for quality control is not doing their job and the production manager should be made aware of this. Years ago I visited Marklin and spoke to Frank Mayer and told him that the track item 74230 had a fault and he totally ignored me. Obviously, people from Australia are idiots and know nothing. I'm very disappointed and again the senior management at Marklin are lacking respect for their customers.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2022 15:03:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Drongo
I am a bit lost with your post.
I can't find track 74230. Do you mean 24230? What fault is there please?
You write: "the rails are not electrically isolated". Are you talking about a short between the studs and the rails?

Regarding the TT 74861, my understanding is:
- all access tracks (74861) are not connected to the TT so you have to do it yourself
- both rails of 74861 are connected as for any C track I think so you may have to cut the electrical strap under the track. IMO, it is way better to start the detection farther from the TT

Here is a picture by Julie of France of the access track wiring (https://forum.3rails.fr/t/presentation-de-julaye/17387

74861 plaque demontee R.jpg
Cheers
Jean
Offline Drongo  
#11 Posted : 23 October 2022 05:48:56(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Drongo
I am a bit lost with your post.
I can't find track 74230. Do you mean 24230? What fault is there please?
You write: "the rails are not electrically isolated". Are you talking about a short between the studs and the rails?

Regarding the TT 74861, my understanding is:
- all access tracks (74861) are not connected to the TT so you have to do it yourself
- both rails of 74861 are connected as for any C track I think so you may have to cut the electrical strap under the track. IMO, it is way better to start the detection farther from the TT

Here is a picture by Julie of France of the access track wiring (https://forum.3rails.fr/t/presentation-de-julaye/17387

74861 plaque demontee R.jpg
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,
Sorry my mistake with the part number - it should be 24230. The fault that I reported to Marklin, and they didn't take any notice, was if you turn over the track you can see the track connections. With the track curving to the left, the extreme left connection is the problem. It is a female connector and the space between the legs is too large and the male connector from the next track doesn't make contact. Therefore the electrical connection is broken. Most times this doesn't matter if you have both rails connected and the "B" power will still work. However, if you are using occupancy sensors and the rails are isolated then there are problems.

Regarding the TT, I'm using Traincontroller and the rails need to be isolated so as the sensors detect track occupancy. The bridge of the TT does have the rails isolated but the inserts are not. This causing some confusion, i.e. you either have the rails connected or not. Too simple, but after all it's a Marklin designed TT.

Regards
Greg
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 23 October 2022 05:52:19(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
BTW - when I was removing the inserts I lost one of the infinitely small bits which goes in to the insert for the decoder to determine whether the insert is a track or not. Obviously, Marklin don't supply extras for such a situation, so now I have to buy a box of 74871.
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 24 October 2022 04:58:28(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Does anyone who lives in Australia have any spare tabs for the inserts of the TT ? I've asked my friends nearby who have the TT and they don't have any and would like to have some spares as they constantly fall out and disappear into the never never.
Regards GREG
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2022 10:16:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Now the question remains....

Now the question remains why it always seems to be Greg that gets all the faulty stuff......

Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 24 October 2022 13:57:21(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Now the question remains why it always seems to be Greg that gets all the faulty stuff......

I guess I was just born lucky. Blushing Blushing Blushing
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 26 October 2022 05:59:54(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Dave, thanks for the sarcastic remark. The real point of this thread is to advise others that this product from Marklin is a piece of S@#T and Marklin know that it is but won't admit it. That's just plain gutless and to make matters worse for me, the tiny little tabs that fit into the inserts keep falling out because the TT is so flimsy. Obviously you don't have this TT and you aren't experiencing these annoying problems. Marklin should never have released this item for sale and all the propaganda in the world will not change the situation. Only the gullible people will fall for this propaganda.
Today I tried to use the TT and the small tabs kept falling out - the design is terrible - only an idiot would design this way. The tabs should be replaced with some electronic detector, but that would add cost to the TT and that means less profit, but the TT would function better. They are just plain stupid people at Marklin.
Offline Drongo  
#17 Posted : 08 November 2022 05:57:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well the TT is having it's 3rd trip back to Germany and this is the last time I'll send. They can keep it - I don't want shitty products like this polluting our country, the Germans can take care of disposing it.

It's the worst product that Marklin has ever produced, and they've produced some doosies in the past. This TT was so badly designed that it should never have been released for sale. The small tabs which fit into the inserts keep falling out and if you glue the tabs then the bridge gets caught on the tabs and won't move. No decent designer would have done this - only a moron. And to rub salt in the wounds - Marklin management won't admit that the product is faulty. I cannot trust Marklin again - their reputation is shot !!!

Anyone who wants to defend this product doesn't own one, so don't make a comment unless you own one.

Regards
Greg