Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roger W. Hooper  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2022 17:49:28(UTC)
Roger W. Hooper

United States   

Hi fellow hobbyist -

Some of you may remember me with the problem with the Marklin 55413. The same problems have appeared in my other Marklin loco number 55082
Both engines have sound responses and front lights on the engines and rear lights on the tenders work. However, I do not get smoke, lights in the cabs and driver illumination on either one of the engines. I also have a KM1 engine that as soon as you turn on the power it starts whistling!!!!
I'm beginning to think it is my power supply. I'm using an ECOS ESU control station and have never had any problems in the past. Could it some how be acting up? I am getting desperate and open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hoop
Offline gcanton  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2022 04:26:44(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Hello Roger,

Some things to try, I have found because the ECos is multiprotocol and so are the loco's they can get confused as to what they are receiving and what to do. For example a loco that crawls ignoring the controller because it decided it was on DC. Try telling the loco to respond to a single protocol and then the Ecos to output that protocol only. Then play with putting extra data on the track and see if all stays well. It was the Marklin multiprotocol decoders I've known to get confused and need to be told what to respond to. I believe KM1 use ESU loksound decoders so again they they can be set for all or some protocols and even to do some functions when running on DC or AC. Especially if the locos are secondhand and been tweaked. I would put only DCC or M4 on the track and set the locos to ignore AC and DC as a starting point. Having all 3 running at once with smoke and sound will use a fair bit of power but the Ecos can tell you how much is being drawn to see if that is an issue. If you have the Ecos power supply check it is set to a sensible voltage, 16-18 seems good for gauge 1.

Graham
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2022 06:38:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
16 volts is not enough, 18 is the minimum to use. Remember those KM1 locos draw quite a lot of current and if you reduce the voltage increased current draw will be the result.

In addition to the above check the Ecos' total current draw. If it is 3amps or more you will be running out of gas and you'll need an 8 or 7 amp booster.