Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cramcke  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2022 17:47:53(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for ideas for lighting my 3-axle 1-scale Marklin coaches. I occasionally find the old lighting kits for sale on eBay, but I would much prefer to use something LED-based. I have found a few providers like ESU that provide the strips, but do not include any way to get the power from the rails/wheels to the strip. Has anyone come up with an aftermarket or handmade solution for lighting these coaches? Searches online have only come up with complicated installations of taillights, which, although likely in my future, are secondary to the primary ask! ;~)

Thank you in advance for your reply.

- Carsten
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2022 04:58:40(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Have you looked into the LED boards made by Massoth for the LGB line of large scale trains. Not sure they can be AC powered, but they work well with DC power or like on my mostly dead rail garden layout, I use a 9vt battery to power each coach. Lasts for hours on a fully charged battery. Routing wires is just a matter of finding the most hidden route from the roof down a wall and thru the floor to get under the car to the wheels. A hot glue gun comes in handy(small hobby version is what I use) to hold wires in place. I have also used the metal foil tape for home AC duct work, but over time the stickyness breaks down, so I mostly use the hot glue gun. Not done any Marklin coaches as of yet, but several of my LGB coaches have Massoth LED boards and 9vt battery holders up in the roof.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!