Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roger W. Hooper  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2022 16:07:08(UTC)
Roger W. Hooper

United States   
Hi, New to the forum

Rear lights work, front lights, wheel illumination and cab lights do not work.
Also no smoke. Locomotive isn't that old. Tried everything I know to remedy the situation.
Thanks-

Hoop
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Roger W. Hooper
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2022 19:32:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Roger! This model was produced nearly a decade ago. Have you owned since new? Smoke units can fail, or need cleaning. Do all the sound functions work?
Check for pinched wires between the lights and decoder, as there could be an open circuit under the pinch. Led's can also blow if a pinched bare wire shorts on the frame or body.
If those check out ok, the decoder may be suspect. You can also try removing the Loco from your controller, then re-installing it. If functions were left turned on upon shutdown too, they may not operate upon re-boot until turned off first.
Offline Roger W. Hooper  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2022 21:03:25(UTC)
Roger W. Hooper

United States   
Thanks for your response. Never realized that the model had been produced so much earlier. This has been my first Marklin loco. All the sound functions do work Up to this time I have been purchasing KM1 locomotives from Reynaulds. Read on the forum where they do not seem to be vary popular with some of the guys. Have had problems with them too, when it comes to repair. Anyway, I'll try some of the suggestions that you graciously offered. If the decoder is bad, who should I contact to replace it?

Thanks for your time and suggestions

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roger W. Hooper
Offline Roger W. Hooper  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2022 21:04:30(UTC)
Roger W. Hooper

United States   
Thanks for your response. Never realized that the model had been produced so much earlier. This has been my first Marklin loco. All the sound functions do work Up to this time I have been purchasing KM1 locomotives from Reynaulds. Read on the forum where they do not seem to be vary popular with some of the guys. Have had problems with them too, when it comes to repair. Anyway, I'll try some of the suggestions that you graciously offered. If the decoder is bad, who should I contact to replace it?

Thanks for your time and suggestions

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roger W. Hooper
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2022 23:07:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
You could get better info if you gave us the catalogue number of the loco, rather than the road number.

Has marklin produced only one G1 Br41? or could there be more than one possible candidate? I don't know off hand.
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2022 15:25:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Alan, I just googled the br 41 069 and it came up on the search result. 37922
Roger, I don't reccomend Reynaulds for repairs. I don't know who does them there now. Rey does not. They are very busy with custom layout building.
I would contact Guy at AJC Kids in Texas. He is extremely knowledgable, resonably priced, and will steer you in the right direction. He may even be able to advise/help you change the decoder yourself, if it needs one.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2022 16:31:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I presume the loco is under warranty if purchased new so just return it for repair or refund from the dealer. Dont see why you should be liable for any costs for repairs. IF it is new then Marklin will repair under warranty although shipping costs could be high if you dont want to go back to the dealer.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2022 17:33:27(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The Märklin number is 55413, and was first announced in 2015..... BigGrin

Apart from that I can't help you, I might have more tomorrow Blink

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2022 18:03:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

No, it's a 1-gauge locomotive BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2022 18:57:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post

No, it's a 1-gauge locomotive BigGrin

Per.

Cool

I picked that up because he posted in the large scale thread - which is why I asked the question. I figured it wasn't H0 for that reason, and why I wanted more info.

Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2022 19:56:11(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Roger W. Hooper Go to Quoted Post
Rear lights work, front lights, wheel illumination and cab lights do not work.
Also no smoke. Locomotive isn't that old.Tried everything I know to remedy the situation.

Hi Roger BigGrin

Have you had the loco and tender opened yet?

My first guess is the cable connecting the tender and the loco; check that there's no bend pins or damaged connectors.

Check that all wires going from the loco/tender cable is still attached to the PCB holding the decoder in the tender.

Your decoder looks more or less like this one ( Sitting on a bigger PCB ) :

UserPostedImage

On the decoder, the pins you see on the picture sticking up are a bit fragile, they can break off the soldering to the PCB,
if the decoder has been dismounted and re-mounted; I've seen that a few times.

With the decoder still mounted, try to press a little on the decoder, as if to press it further into the connectors where it's mounted.
Put a small piece of plastic where you press, so your fingers doesn't make any problems.

Most likely you can't press the decode further in; but if there are some bad connections around the pins,
you might be able to make them connect with the pressure you put on.

With the pressure still applied, try if you can get the missing functions to work.

If this doesn't help, I would CAREFULLY pull the decoder out of the connectors holding it, and then give it a good visual inspection,
especially around the before mentioned pins - it can be difficult to see if they don't have connection to the PCB, use lights and a magnifying glass.

If all this doesn't show or tell anything, the next thing I would do is to test the decoder alone, outside the loco.

I don't know how much you can do yourself; but personally I wouldn't buy a new decoder until I was very sure that the one installed is definitely dead....... Cool

If you need a replacement decoder, an ESU XL should fit, having the same pins and size etc. You "just" need somebody to program it for you.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum