Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2022 02:06:59(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

At the moment I am using the mDecoderTool for some mSD/3 file updates. I only used it a couple of days ago and today it is prompting for the latest software update. The old version was V3.42 and the new version is V3.50. New version thus installed.

Notes for the update, see below.

best regards
David

mDecoderTool3 v3.5.0 Release Note
Copyright (C) 2022 Gebr. Märklin & Cie. GmbH

CURRENT NOTES

> The sound library is divided into two sections, Märklin Sounds "mBibliothek" and Customers own sounds "eigeneBibliothek". Own sounds stored in the "mBibliothek" will be lost when updating the Märklin sound library! Own sounds belong in the "eigeneBibliothek"!

CHANGELOG

Version 3.5.0 - 16.08.2022
- Feature: The mDecoderTool3 converts decoder projects, mLD3/mSD3 retrofit decoders in track H0/G with/without sound among each other
- Feature: In the mDecoderTool3 the new function icons of the control unit CS3 are available for selection
- Modified: The 'Program Settings' dialog has been revised, settings that were previously only contained in the menu have been added and summarized
- Modified: Add text to the context menu to show and hide the toolbar
- Improvement: The area programming ways with new button 'Read decoder' to read a decoder with the decoder programmer (60971)
- Improvement: The 'Program Decoder' dialog is now displayed consistently, regardless of whether you program with/without sound
- Improvement: The Functions tab in the details board with a new 'minus' button 'Delete trigger/action' to make it easier to delete assignments except via the context menu
- Improvement: The selection list of function icons in the detail board in closed state has been supplemented by a missing tooltip
- Improvement: The sound size for the sound memory display in KB in the dashboard is now determined independently of whether the sound file (snd) and project have the same name
- Improvement: Some CV names, texts, terms and expressions in the mDecoderTool3 and the decoder templates revised, unified and named more clearly
- Improvement: In the dialog 'Test Decoder' the dark tacho/locomotive background is adapted to the gray values of the control center CS3, so that black locomotives, especially steam locomotives, can be recognized better
- Bugfix: If the baud rate was selected manually in the settings for the decoder programmer (60971), a restart of the mDecoderTool3 is no longer necessary
- Bugfix: In the detail board in the tab functions, when deleting a trigger that has not yet assigned an action, all triggers without assigned action were deleted
- Bugfix: In the detail board in the tab functions, the logical functions were displayed incorrectly for the mLD track H0 for universal current/field coil motor (60906)
- Bugfix: If a decoder is programmed via the Central Station programming path, the central station finally performs a reset and re-registers the decoder. The selection of the locomotive in the mDecoderTool3 is no longer valid and is now deleted to be able to select the newly registered locomotive again
- Bugfix: The number of input characters for decoder name and user data was not limited to a maximum of 16 characters
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2022 07:01:39(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Lots of bug fix Huh

But they forgot that the program crashes when CS3 is shut downs and loses connection ThumbDown

Parallel open windows should be a good feature ThumbDown

It should be possible to read CV values from mounted decoder thru CS2/CS3 ThumbDown
Of course, if they make it possible to read out decoders CV from CS3, they would not be possible to sell USB devices Sneaky

The fact that they didn't development the option of connecting programming tracks directly to the USB Decoder Programmer 60971 is a real handicap Mad

So what have they done since October 2020 during covid-19 period Confused
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jonas_sthlm
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2022 19:32:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jonas_sthlm Go to Quoted Post

They were isolating ...

Offline jonas_sthlm  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2022 06:35:57(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jonas_sthlm Go to Quoted Post

They were isolating ...

Then you should have plenty of time to work with applications Huh
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2022 00:06:41(UTC)
bph

Norway   
It seems that the possibility to program factory-fitted decoders directly with the USB tool was not added. (have only tested with one decoder)
The programming of factory-fitted decoders through the CS3 works as before.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2022 06:59:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Is that just limited to changing existing settings or can you completely upload a new sound project?

Guess I should try!

Version 3.5.0 download link - https://www.maerklin.de/...d3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 21 September 2022 11:21:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Is that just limited to changing existing settings or can you completely upload a new sound project?

Guess I should try!

Version 3.5.0 download link - https://www.maerklin.de/...d3msd3/mdecodertool-mdt3

You can basically change everything, as long as you modify the original decoder project from Marklin and the decoder firmware is above 3.2.xx (note some decoders are only 32MBit, and no warnings are given.)

Eg. in my 26922 Baden Class IV h, I replaced the driving sounds with the one from the s3/6 39436, and added some other sound files, Eg some from the 42790 project. Note that the 26922 has a 32MBit 259851 decoder, so space was limited.

The downside is that it takes a lot of time to program decoders with mDecoderTool and cs3. so I had hoped they had allowed that possibility directly in mDecoderTool with the USB tool. But hopefully it might come in the future.....

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 21 September 2022 12:35:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have a decoder that came out of my 55224 Gauge 1 BR194 which was replaced with a LGB 4amp decoder because the original decoder couldn't handle the current draw of the 2 motors in the BR194.

It will be interesting to see if I can replace the BR194 sounds with steam or diesel sounds.
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 21 September 2022 13:43:46(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I have a decoder that came out of my 55224 Gauge 1 BR194 which was replaced with a LGB 4amp decoder because the original decoder couldn't handle the current draw of the 2 motors in the BR194.

It will be interesting to see if I can replace the BR194 sounds with steam or diesel sounds.

Sorry won't work with the decoder from 55224 until Märklin releases the original decoder project, and the decoder might also be too old. The decoder projects are in some way coded to the decoder.
eg my 39030 has a decoder that has too old firmware and Marklin has not released a firmware upgrade for that locomotive/decoder. Marklin has released the decoder project, but because of old decoder firmware (3.0.0.17), changes are not possible.

But in theory, it should work to change decoder projects like that, and I have sort of planned to test something similar to what you have suggested.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2022 16:10:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Marklin has released the decoder project, but because of old decoder firmware (3.0.0.17), changes are not possible.

That suggests to me that the decoder is not an msd/3 decoder, which seems to be the only decoder for which the sound projects have been released. I suspect you have an msd/3 project but an earlier decoder.

Offline bph  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2022 19:59:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Marklin has released the decoder project, but because of old decoder firmware (3.0.0.17), changes are not possible.

That suggests to me that the decoder is not an msd/3 decoder, which seems to be the only decoder for which the sound projects have been released. I suspect you have an msd/3 project but an earlier decoder.

It's an mfx+ decoder and it's visually identical to other msd3 decoders, it also does have boot loader v:6.0.0.0. The 26992 Ivh had firmware 3.0.1.0 and bootloader v:6.0.0.0. and I was able to update that. The decoder project is also identical to what's actually on the decoder and the decoder also has possibilities that earlier decoder generations don't have. So all indications point to an early "mSD3" decoder. Some very early mfx+ decoders have firmware 2.xx.xx and bootloader v:5.0.0.0. and they are also visually different from the mSD3 decoders.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 21 September 2022 20:12:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

It's an mfx+ decoder and it's visually identical to other msd3 decoders, it also does have boot loader v:6.0.0.0. The 26992 Ivh had firmware 3.0.1.0 and bootloader v:6.0.0.0. and I was able to update that. The decoder project is also identical to what's actually on the decoder and the decoder also has possibilities that earlier decoder generations don't have. So all indications point to an early "mSD3" decoder. Some very early mfx+ decoders have firmware 2.xx.xx and bootloader v:5.0.0.0. and they are also visually different from the mSD3 decoders.

So will the firmware not update?
Offline bph  
#13 Posted : 21 September 2022 22:17:41(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Märklin has not released a firmware update for this decoder(236805). They might have overlooked it or it might be a different explanation.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 21 September 2022 23:57:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Märklin has not released a firmware update for this decoder(236805). They might have overlooked it or it might be a different explanation.

Hmm, the only time I have had that happen was with the Shunting Crocodile shortly after it was released, but later on there was an update for it.

The only reason I have found for a decoder to not update is some special feature (in the case of the Crocodile it had the newest telex coupling).

Offline bph  
#15 Posted : 22 September 2022 13:23:56(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Hmm, the only time I have had that happen was with the Shunting Crocodile shortly after it was released, but later on there was an update for it.

The only reason I have found for a decoder to not update is some special feature (in the case of the Crocodile it had the newest telex coupling).

It's only speculation, but there might be a general issue with the decoder(236805), making firmware updates impossible. The firmware updates seem to be linked to the decoder part numbers. E.g take a look in the Firmware folder that belongs to the mDecoderTool (the same place as the sound files are stored)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph