Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2022 06:14:46(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hello, this is my first post.

I’m building my very first model railroad (unless you count the oval tracks from childhood). For budget reasons I’m on MS2. Hopefully will be able to change to CS3 in a year or so.

Will my track work with MS2 if I already pre install contact tracks? Do I need to have Link/S88 even thou it cannot yet be connected anywhere?

Also what would be the go to solution to test if contact tracks work? An LED maybe?

Thanks guys!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2022 14:05:49(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, i don't see why not. You will only need to swap out the leads to the MS2 connector box and install the CS3's. Then you can plug your MS2 into the front of the CS3 for an extra controller. The CS3 also now has a third pop-up controller accessable (per latest software update) by touching the Loco's symbol on the menu, and using your mouse or stylus. Also connect the S88 a/c feedback decoder to the CS3, and contact tracks. It comes woith a blue network cable, which plugs into the bottom of the CS3 plus.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2022 14:27:00(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Hello, this is my first post.

I’m building my very first model railroad (unless you count the oval tracks from childhood). For budget reasons I’m on MS2. Hopefully will be able to change to CS3 in a year or so.

Will my track work with MS2 if I already pre install contact tracks? Do I need to have Link/S88 even thou it cannot yet be connected anywhere?

Also what would be the go to solution to test if contact tracks work? An LED maybe?

Thanks guys!

Hi
A warm welcome to our forum. A first name would be more friendly.

The track wiring is the same BUT it is better to observe a strong cable section 0.5 mm² and have it connected to every 2 m track section.

Regarding contact tracks, yes you may wire them in advance BUT I suggest you wait until you have the CS3 because the placement of these contact tracks (where they are) matters a lot and nothing beats trial and error (so you may very well have to change them later.

CS3, CS3+ and Link88
- all a matter of personal taste. My preference is for a CS3 (60226) a Link88 (60883) and its power supply 60361. This is because 1 it is cheaper and you get 3 busses instead of 1 and 16 contact entries
- this compares with a 60216 with a 60881

How to test contact tracks?
Märklin scans contact tracks by sending +5VDC into the contact rail BUT with a current-limiting resistor in series (10 kOhms or so). So one possibility is to connect the contact rail to the + of a 5 VDC with a 1kOhm to 5.6kOhm resistor is series with the LED (anode side) and the LED Cathode to the contact rails while the 0V (return of the 5 VDC supply is connect to the 0 (rail - ground) of your layout.
Another possibility is to use a 14 VAC / 16VAC Power supply connected on one side to a 16 V Bulb and the other PSU connected to your layout ground (0) and of course the other side of the bulb is connected to the contact rail.

Attention: I both cases the PSU must be "Galvanically separated" or floating.

Note: with a CS3, you have the possibility to work with impulse (signal flank) or with a status (an entire contact zone which is busy or free). This is why a little testing will help before starting a nice wiring.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline einotuominen  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2022 16:18:19(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Thanks for the advice!

Maybe I’ll leave enough room around the tracks to change/install the contact tracks later on. And finish the scenery after that.

BR,
-Eino
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by einotuominen