Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2022 06:21:10(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
After watching numerous video model layouts of both European and American layouts, my overall impression is: Europeans devote their time to running while Americans are more into switching and control, at least of the larger layouts run by multiple operators. I see more passenger trains on the European layouts and mor freight on American layouts. I am looking for a line here that positively separates European from American layouts. European layouts seem to be multi-level varying from sea level to high mountains. American layouts seem to limit their operations between sea level to small hills. Of course, I'm looking at very large club layouts that have lots of space. European layouts seem to focus on scenic views and countryside while Americans seem to focus on industrial settings, like steel mills and the like. Although I've brought up the question of sharp "S" curves in the past, I understand they are a result of limited space with limited long runs. The "S" curves, although lacking authenticity, do add more interest to a layout. I find European layouts tend to spend more effort on non-railroad activity, like scenery, buildings and roadways. American layouts on the other hand seem to add roadways and buildings as an afterthought. I'm generalizing as I've not seen all but based only on what I've seen.

On my own layout, I have attempted to combine railroad and non-railroad in as much as possible a 50/50 balance. but being a small layout (11'x12'), I have to take a modelers license and squeeze as much as I can into the space available. I am using Marklin M-track, so my curves are going to be short. My setting seems to vary between European, UK and American. I wanted to model an American layout, but Marklin has a very limited selection of American prototypes, so I am running European trains in an American setting. Anyway, it's my railroad, so I hope I don't offend anyone.

When I started building my railroad empire, I was torn between 2 rail and 3 rail. 2 rail was authentic, but I found out lately that there were some 3 rail railroads, so that is when I accepted Marklin as being just as authentic as any 2 rail. To anyone who scoffs at 3 rail, just remember real steam locomotives and diesels don't run on electricity or DCC.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2022 09:07:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Ron, it is very hard to design a layout whatever size you have, smaller layouts in general seem to be more cluttered and as you've mentioned you like to put as much onto the layout as possible., my layout for instance 13m x 5m is created with modules and there are 19 of them and each module represents a scene, I had a rough idea what I wanted but since than changes occurred, the round house is no longer present and the track system has been simplified, leaving almost no room for shunting., the word compromise comes to light but at what stage are you willing to compromise ?, the only thing I've feared when I started building my layout was boredom, will I get bored with trains going around in circles, some modelers overcome this by buying more trains, locos and rolling stock to avoid the shortfall of ripping it all up again and start again or choose a different rail gauge. ,
I've never regretted using K-track (3rail) and after 42 years of use, I'm satisfied with the outcome.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2022 10:02:55(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Compromise it is unless one has a spare warehouse.

But the smaller the space the more one has to be creative.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2022 17:13:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
Compromise it is unless one has a spare warehouse.

But the smaller the space the more one has to be creative.

It's a very fine line between more or less

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Mr. Ron  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2022 18:05:17(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I never thought it would be so hard to design a layout. Even with a warehouse to work with, I would still be at a loss. I guess the huge layouts are designed by professionals who have a good background in art. It appears that you need an art background to make a layout that presents an authentic picture, that I don't have. On my 11'x12' layout, I've chosen the area where I live and made copies of shops, houses and businesses around me. I don't have any railroad right-of-way near me, so the trackwork has to be imaginary, really not much to go with. On top of that, I am using foreign railway equipment in an American setting. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but the final result should be interesting to say the least. Right now, I'm tackling a 4% grade and learning as I go. I will keep you all posted as I progress onward and hopefully upward.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2022 23:03:47(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I would recommend some day dreaming and make a note of the things you dream about, then think about if/how they could be worked into a layout.

I’ve always found a combination of looking at pictures, and day dreaming, gets the creativity going.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2022 05:28:52(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
To anyone who scoffs at 3 rail, just remember real steam locomotives and diesels don't run on electricity or DCC.

Hornby live steam 00 gauge. It still uses power from the rails to heat the water. But to have speed & direction control at 1:76 is pretty impressive. Not to forget a steam whistle.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2022 13:55:38(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Quote:
Mr Ron wrote:
" I've chosen the area where I live and made copies of shops, houses and businesses around me."

I think that is "Art" in itself. Onward and Upward!ThumpUp

Caveat: I am still in the Analogue Mode with KLVM and beer cars (yes...same numbers - renumbering...LOL not this boy!), so to "operate" freight or passenger to a schedule and placement, et. al (using car cards or what ever computer-run system and 'control cabs' with walk-around capability might be used to run a full-on switching layout??) Way too big a change for me (And once I got "In to" Märklin and European, I never went back to US outline trains.)

Rule #1: My railroad, my rules Love Your railroad, your rules Love

It's a Beautiful RailWorld in which we live! Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations! Cool Whatever works for you, go for it! ThumpUp
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline artfull dodger  
#9 Posted : 19 September 2022 04:05:13(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
One also has to consider what the real railroads in Europe are like when compared to the USA. Europe has mostly electrified its operations, so overhead catenary is needed unless you model the earlier steam era. Having working overhead catenary is very easy with Marklin's set up and lots of fun as well. One of my main draws to Marklin's system is the tighter curves, no need for reverse blocks with the 3 rail AC powered trains(or overhead catenary). Passenger rail travel is much more common in Europe and the UK vs the USA. My uncle, who originally lived in Germany is the one who got me into Marklin with a started set when I was a boy, then with LGB for my garden railway later in my teenage years. Back when my train budget was much tighter, modeling with Marklin helped give focus at model train shows. Instead of being overwhelmed by the tables full of trains, it was the hunt for one or two Marklin freight wagons or passenger coaches, maybe an engine. Or even vintage Kibri and Vollmer buildings. The hunt and joy to find one or two items to buy was very enjoyable, vs the inablity to buy everything else that might interest me if I was modeling in 2 rail DC and USA prototypes.
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline CN  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2022 06:48:16(UTC)
CN

Thailand   
Agreed ! The hunt and joy to find one to buy was enjoyable ..😄
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CN
Offline Mr. Ron  
#11 Posted : 22 September 2022 01:06:24(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Every now and then, a spark of creativity hits me, and I go to work. Other times, I just mull over what I have with no idea of what comes next. I think taking a break and forgetting trains for a while helps me to rejuvenate. I am at a crossroads in my life right now, so I will wait and see what destiny is planned for me. I wish to thank all who have read and replied to my ramblings-on. Anyway, Happy model railroading.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron