Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2022 06:48:01(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Dear friends,

I would not consider it beneath me to be the owner of this gem of an historical artifact.
Alas it is up for sale on Ebay.de and you could make an offer to the seller.
I have told Santa that I have been very nice.
Miracles still happen. Alas I also have to pay for my daughters university and a new car.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/394220748737

Would you consider buying this if you could squeeze it out of your budget without too much pain?

Enjoy the photos.
Cheers
Mark

ps. To clarify.
No, I am not the owner.
Do not know the owner.
And only post it for your interest and pleasure.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2022 07:05:01(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I would just make a station if needed & spend the money on rolling stock.

This is made out of high impact styrene sheet layered up. Not that difficult but time consuming. Painted with 150g touch up spray cans.
610821.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2022 07:30:43(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
I would just make a station if needed & spend the money on rolling stock.

This is made out of high impact styrene sheet layered up. Not that difficult but time consuming. Painted with 150g touch up spray cans.

Very nice indeed Toosmall. The words of the professional model building stated with such ease.
Let's see perhaps in 10,000 hours, but hmm
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2022 08:09:21(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Less than a thousand. As long as you have good drawings you can be pretty efficient, crap drawings are a nightmare. You just start with a wall, easiest wall first. Cut out all the window openings by sticky taping the drawing on the styrene and marking the corners of each opening with scalpel blade through drawing. After the openings, layer up the details. A lot of it is repeating of the same size so you can cut and or snap off pieces in multiples. A job like this is more administrative in managing parts.

Walls are pretty easy as each wall is in effect 2 dimensions. It's a completely different story with complex sloping roofs which often look ok on the plans but in reality don't work and it is the model maker who can see the "Escher drawings" before the architect.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 02 September 2022 13:55:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's too much for any station. There are others avaiilable which can be kit bashed to resemble it. Vollmer Baden Baden perhaps? You don't have tp assemble and attach the end annexes.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 02 September 2022 16:44:16(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I bought a Cricut cutter machine a couple years ago for my girls and I that is now collecting dust. We did a few tests on it but have yet to play with it more. My intention was to use it to cut out walls and make a few of my own scratch builds from it. I think now that I am still planning and working on benchwork for a new layout its hard to know exactly what I will build and where until I have my track laid. But the wheels are turning in my head.

That, along with having dozens of kits I have hoarded from shows (stations mostly) and online purchases and probably about 100 or more already built models, including several Faller factory built stations from the 50s or earlier, (I will have to get Marco to help me date them sometime), its going to be a juggling act. I will need to make a push to sort and decide what to keep so that I can find more space in my somewhat small urban dwelling.

Having said all that, I can see great satisfaction in building a series of models from scratch to have something completely unique on your layout. Yet in the end, it seems to be how you put all those ingredients together that gives a layout one's own particular branding; landscape with trains running through and functioning as we dream of them.

I still greatly appreciate the Märklin Leipziger Bahnhof 2036 as a bit of history.Wink
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#7 Posted : 02 September 2022 21:39:05(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
Mark,
Only 9500 Euros for the station?! Man, how can he sell it so cheap? Seriously, I have no idea if the Leipzig station is worth it or not. I know some old stuff goes for crazy prices. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy it. I would rather expand my empire (I have a basement to play with). Even if I were interested, I wouldn't buy unless I really knew my old M and could look at it in person or at least got ALOT of pictures. For that kind of money, it seems to me the possibility of fakes/reproductions is real. Not that I'm casting aspersions on the current seller. Maybe he doesn't even know.

NL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline Bogenschütze  
#8 Posted : 02 September 2022 22:19:47(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
There are others available which can be kit bashed to resemble it. Vollmer Baden Baden perhaps? You don't have tp assemble and attach the end annexes.

Not sure that the Vollmer kit could be an alternative for a potential buyer of this item as it is advertised as "O" scale rather than "HO". I suppose it is still a collectable piece of history to the right buyer but that price is obscene.

As an old friend of mine once said: "Someone, somewhere wants exactly what you are selling and they will pay your price. The trick is to find them!"
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2022 04:04:29(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bogenschütze Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
There are others available which can be kit bashed to resemble it. Vollmer Baden Baden perhaps? You don't have tp assemble and attach the end annexes.

Not sure that the Vollmer kit could be an alternative for a potential buyer of this item as it is advertised as "O" scale rather than "HO". I suppose it is still a collectable piece of history to the right buyer but that price is obscene.

As an old friend of mine once said: "Someone, somewhere wants exactly what you are selling and they will pay your price. The trick is to find them!"

I personally would not pay that price, simply because I have other priorities, however, I have seen many works of art by colleagues sell for for much more than that and I found no value in them for me personally. However if there was the question of rarity, history as well as aesthetics, that propelled the market forward, I could see stations like this selling for that price. I do think the tin work on the station is a thing of beauty.

I would rather have this station than an original lego kit of the Millennium Falcon. Cool as it might be to many.
https://www.moneytalksne...or-thousands-of-dollars/

Some of my friends who trade currency and stocks say that money is just a matter of moving a few decimal points around.

It is a bit sad that money can be an impediment to the enjoyment of craft and beauty.
Which is why for me train clubs, art galleries and museums are in the same category of sharing the joy.
Or making sure you have people over to share your own layout from time to time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2022 06:06:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
.. if there was the question of rarity, history as well as aesthetics, that propelled the market forward, I could see stations like this selling for that price. I do think the tin work on the station is a thing of beauty.

Hi Mark,
That O gauge Märklin station really is a thing of great beauty.
Being made at a time of political upheaval in Germany, there might be some relevance to the more hegemonical attitudes of the day.
This would be as grand a model as any you might purchase in a toy shop.
But if you had the money to buy it (likely twice a weeks office worker wages?) why wouldn't you.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline blid  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2022 12:10:25(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
As far as i remember MTH made this station for Marklin in 2014. Since I’m not into this kind of stuff I didn’t check the price.
I have now found a link to the MTH/Marklin version: https://www.mthtrains.com/10-1026

Edited by user 03 September 2022 22:10:27(UTC)  | Reason: Added a link

OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 04 September 2022 07:09:54(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
As far as i remember MTH made this station for Marklin in 2014. Since I’m not into this kind of stuff I didn’t check the price.
I have now found a link to the MTH/Marklin version: https://www.mthtrains.com/10-1026

Well, I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed by that 'replica' version and the price of the station.
The colours do not look right, printed roof tiles (come on, really?) instead of the original embossed roof.
Surprised to see the labels/signs in English and wondering if the original was in English. I would rather have them in German. Seems to me to be a cheap and somewhat cynical knock-off of the original. Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh for anyone who many have purchased it, but to me that is not really a replica of the original.

I had to look again at photos of the prototype, IRL Leipzig Hauptbahnhof.
I have to say there are some fabulous historical and contemporary photos of the station on the wikipedia entry. Well worth scrolling through the slide show. Inspiring photos for Era 3a 1954 and 1957. All those trenchcoats and hats.
https://upload.wikimedia...bahnhof%2C_Bahnsteig.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipzig_Hauptbahnhof

Offline blid  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2022 12:12:52(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
When Marklin make replicas of the old stuff they make sure they are not exact copies. In this case MTH made three different versions for them. English, French and German.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 04 September 2022 13:10:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
When Marklin make replicas of the old stuff they make sure they are not exact copies. In this case MTH made three different versions for them. English, French and German.

And Marklin may well have made a version of the original with English names as they did supply a lot of product to the UK market between the wars - for example the locos in LMS and other British lines colours and lettering, so supplying a station like this would have been logical with English lettering back then.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan