Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mitchnz  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2022 02:56:16(UTC)
mitchnz

New Zealand   
I am a complete novice when it comes to the wiring on my layout. I have a mate helping me and every time we finish a section we find that the lights on the points are lit up at all times. He has decided that is being caused by a short in the wiring but as every thing else is working he takes the bulbs out. I have just finished a section by myself and am unable to find any wiring fault but the lights on the points are as usual lit up. My question is "is this a fault or are the points supposed to remain lit up to make it easier to determine which way the points are set.". Any assistance would be appreciated thank you.
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2022 04:51:48(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mitchnz Go to Quoted Post
I am a complete novice when it comes to the wiring on my layout. I have a mate helping me and every time we finish a section we find that the lights on the points are lit up at all times. He has decided that is being caused by a short in the wiring but as every thing else is working he takes the bulbs out. I have just finished a section by myself and am unable to find any wiring fault but the lights on the points are as usual lit up. My question is "is this a fault or are the points supposed to remain lit up to make it easier to determine which way the points are set.". Any assistance would be appreciated thank you.

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the Forum!
Yes, traditional M-track points have lights that stay illuminated. It has nothing to do with a short in the wiring.
If you take out the light bulbs the points will work just as well, they just will not have illuminated directional markers.

On our older M-track layout I removed one of the lights that was inside a tunnel entrance since it was more or a distraction than a help.
Other points I had inside tunnels I left the lights working. Its all just a question of personal preference.

Cheers
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline mitchnz  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2022 05:00:58(UTC)
mitchnz

New Zealand   
Thank you. That will make life a lot easier.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mitchnz
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2022 05:56:58(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thank you. That will make life a lot easier.

I should add that some M-track users take out the lights because they are quite bright and might not be the look they are going for but also they do require more consumption of power which may be an issue on a larger layout. Removing the lights helps conserve power. However, you would need a layout of substantial size to make a difference. (Anyone who has done this already and can address the issue?)

Some others replace the bulbs with LEDs but that is too much work for me.
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2022 11:58:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
The lighted turnout lanterns are a bit of a nostalgic thing for many - if you have a layout that you like to run at night, ie lights in the houses, street lights etc, the turnout lanterns just give another feature to add to the overall effect.

Personally, I like them but they are not to everyone's taste. The older M-track ones are large and chunky and hard to miss.

Then they reduced them in size quite considerably with the release of the curved turnouts, and K-track, and even more-so with C-track.

Because they are now an option with C-track rather than built in, not so many modellers would bother.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Gregor  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2022 13:11:18(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Some others replace the bulbs with LEDs but that is too much work for me.

You can buy LEDs with the appropriate fitting and suitable for 24V. Installing them is just as much effort as replacing the normal bulb when it's time is over.

UserPostedImage

I use these in some of my tinplate coaches as well to bring down the power consumption.

Best regards,
Gregor

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2022 14:48:04(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I am often amazed by how long the old bulbs last.

Not long ago I got a package of old rusty M track that had been in someone's damp shed for years. Of the twelve sets of points the lights still worked on eleven even though some appeared quite blackened.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2022 11:42:17(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   

Hi Mitch,

Glad you got a quick answer. If you find yourself stuck at any stage, there are a few of us here in the Auckland region who can offer advise.

Cheers…

Mike
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2022 15:08:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I am often amazed by how long the old bulbs last.

Not long ago I got a package of old rusty M track that had been in someone's damp shed for years. Of the twelve sets of points the lights still worked on eleven even though some appeared quite blackened.

Hi Michael
It is not a matter of these lamps being old but rather a matter of how long they have been lighted.
The bulbs being in a very small space have a very short life (on a normal use, you would replace them once a year or so.
Same with 7039-7043 signal. I replaced the bulbs with high quality LEDs and they last forever with little current draw.

What is a high quality LED replacement for 60000 Märklin lamps?
- socket is firmly attached / molded with the LED
- the LED includes a bridge rectifier so that it works with both polarities or in AC

Look for them in German ebay for LED ms4 19V (not always there and holiday time is not the best for this).
Avoid regular LEDs flimsily attached to an MS4 socket w/o rectifier. Avoid also Viessmann LEDs (real s..t quality)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/38424661...1ffdc:g:b5sAAOSwjKtg2Z0X

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB