Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Diesel2000  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2022 14:29:49(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Hello again, I was hoping someone could easily explain to me how to set up turnout routes that can be opened and closed with a single button click. I'm coming over to the CS3 from a Massoth CS and on that system its very easy to set up turnout routes - you add the turnout numbers and the direction you want each of them to throw. I currently have 23 turnouts all digitally controlled with DCC decoders and these are set up into 16 routes for all the various positions I want to access on the layout.

I have configured all 23 turnouts in the CS3 and thought that setting up Events for each route would create the same effect, but so far I have not been able to make those work. The turnouts can all be thrown individually, so thats working, but sequencing them together in Events hasnt worked yet. Does this require setting up the track plan first? I have not done so and was hoping not to have to since I use iTrain for layout control and automation and already have the layout built there. I just want to be able to throw the turnout routes 'manually' so that multiple turnouts will switch together in sequence when I'm running manually.

Here is a screenshot of what I have configured so far

Route Events.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Diesel2000
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2022 16:29:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's a lot for a beginner, even myself. First watch the marklin digital advanced event webinar on youtube by Curtis Jeng and Rick Sinclair, USA Marklin digital consultants.
Then do one pair to get them working properly for you. You may want to make seperate events for each pair, or try sequencing them by two's. There is a one or two milisecond delay per event, but you can lengthen it. Then there are action and condition's to add. that's tricky.
You have to enable the advanced event selection in the event menu first.
Offline Diesel2000  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2022 20:49:54(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
That's a lot for a beginner, even myself. First watch the marklin digital advanced event webinar on youtube by Curtis Jeng and Rick Sinclair, USA Marklin digital consultants.
Then do one pair to get them working properly for you. You may want to make seperate events for each pair, or try sequencing them by two's. There is a one or two milisecond delay per event, but you can lengthen it. Then there are action and condition's to add. that's tricky.
You have to enable the advanced event selection in the event menu first.

Thanks for that. I did go and watch the video and it appears that I in fact had these routes set up correctly as events - the problem I'm having is that Events do not appear to function using the web interface control. They are in fact working when using the screen server through VNC. This is somewhat cumbersome as my layout it outside and I'd prefer to use the web interface for control.

Also, I've noticed that my turnouts are not aligned with how they are showing in the CS3 - ie the green/straight and red/divergent are backwards. Can this be changed in the CS3?

Thanks for the help.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Diesel2000
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2022 11:48:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Diesel
Belated welcome to the forum
Not sure if this is your problem but with the CS3 and the VNC Viewer interface you have TWO pointers (your PC/Tablet pointer and the VNC one). Yes I know, seems crazy. So the point is to bring the VNC pointer at the right place before selecting the route you want.
Not great but easy to get used to it.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline phils2um  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2022 00:10:51(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Hi Diesel,

I believe what you are experiencing is a problem in the web server based control software. I had a very similar experience. An event that I could trigger manually on both the CS3 directly or using VNC. But, although displayed, the event would not trigger manually by the web-based controller. Mine was an event involving a single wagon with an installed decoder. My work-around was to make the event a locomotive function as described on page 89 of the Large Manual. I could then trigger it by opening the "loco controller" for the wagon and pressing the function button to which the event had been assigned. My work-around is probably not practical in your situation.

If you have an old DCC decoder you could dedicate to the task, you could try something similar to what I did. Add it to your loco list as a DCC loco with the maximum number of functions. Then try assigning your routes to decoder function buttons. I just don't know if a loco event can trigger other devices. I've not tried it. You could see if it works by checking with just one of your routes. And, thinking about it, you may not need a real decoder. It may be possible to just create a dummy DCC locomotive with an unused DCC address to have access to the "locos" function buttons. I think I may try this myself now!

I tried to explain what I was experiencing to the "Digital Dudes" during one of their zoom meetings about six months ago but was unable to make them understand. Most likely, because they have little experience using the CS3 for 2-rail garden applications where the primary controller is our phone or a tablet using wifi and the web interface.

Edited by user 27 July 2022 05:09:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil S.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline phils2um  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2022 05:00:27(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: Diesel2000 Go to Quoted Post

Also, I've noticed that my turnouts are not aligned with how they are showing in the CS3 - ie the green/straight and red/divergent are backwards. Can this be changed in the CS3?

Thanks for the help.

I've not found a way to change it on the CS3. Maybe someone else on the forum knows how and can answer. I had to change the throw on my LGB 55524 single channel decoders to match what was displayed on the CS3. I did this by changing CV60, Mode (polarity), from the factory setting of 16 to 80. Remember you need to write 77 into CV2 before you can write a new value into a single CV on the switch decoder. See the instructions on page 6 of the 55524 instruction manual. I cannot recall if I had to change the similar acting CV(s) on my Massoth and LGB 4 channel switch decoders.
Phil S.
Offline Diesel2000  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2022 16:15:09(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the help.

I've not found a way to change it on the CS3. Maybe someone else on the forum knows how and can answer. I had to change the throw on my LGB 55524 single channel decoders to match what was displayed on the CS3. I did this by changing CV60, Mode (polarity), from the factory setting of 16 to 80. Remember you need to write 77 into CV2 before you can write a new value into a single CV on the switch decoder. See the instructions on page 6 of the 55524 instruction manual. I cannot recall if I had to change the similar acting CV(s) on my Massoth and LGB 4 channel switch decoders.

Thanks Phil, I confirmed with the Marklin Dudes (Curtis and Rick) here in the states that there is no way within the CS3 to invert the outputs of the turnouts and need to do it through the decoder. I'm using the new MD Electronics EKW decoders and the programming is straightforward and I can do it all through the Switch POM programming feature on the Massoth CS without having to remove them from the layout and hook up to a programming track output. I have them all aligned properly now, so that was an easy change.

Another thing I confirmed through my own testing is that you dont need to have the turnouts on the CS3 layout board to operate via Events. This is actually a good thing in my case. I dont really want to bother configuring the layout board on the CS3 as I have already done so extensively in iTrain, which is my main automation program and what I plan to continue using. I just want to be able to throw the turnouts when I operating manually with the CS3, like I do today with the Massoth CS. The set up a little more convoluted than the Massoth CS to accomplish this as I learned throughout this post, but I have it set up and working properly now and will continue to go down that path.

I appreciate the help from everyone so far as I get set up on the new CS3. Obviously operating in a garden environment through a device like an iPad presents its own challenges, but I'm intrigued to move away specific devices and to more general platforms as there will be more and more development in that direction and away from supporting hardware.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Diesel2000
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2022 16:36:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Oh wow, Micro Dynamics makes a lot! I saw the Masooth C.S. on a layout on I.G., but I didn't know what it was.
Offline Diesel2000  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2022 16:41:13(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Oh wow, Micro Dynamics makes a lot! I saw the Masooth C.S. on a layout on I.G., but I didn't know what it was.

Micron-Dynamic Electronics. Yes, he has been producing items for G scale for a while and makes a lot of stuff!

Edited by user 11 August 2022 14:00:13(UTC)  | Reason: Micron-dynamics is correct for Marius Degge

Offline phils2um  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2022 19:00:09(UTC)
phils2um

United States   

I just want to be able to throw the turnouts when I operating manually with the CS3, like I do today with the Massoth CS. The set up a little more convoluted than the Massoth CS to accomplish this as I learned throughout this post, but I have it set up and working properly now and will continue to go down that path.

Hi Diesel,

Did you find the secret to manually triggering events with the web browser control Events dropdown? I'd really like to know it if you did!
Phil S.
Offline phils2um  
#11 Posted : 27 July 2022 19:23:45(UTC)
phils2um

United States   

Another thing I confirmed through my own testing is that you dont need to have the turnouts on the CS3 layout board to operate via Events.

Good info! thanks!
Phil S.
Offline Diesel2000  
#12 Posted : 27 July 2022 19:45:37(UTC)
Diesel2000

United States   

I just want to be able to throw the turnouts when I operating manually with the CS3, like I do today with the Massoth CS. The set up a little more convoluted than the Massoth CS to accomplish this as I learned throughout this post, but I have it set up and working properly now and will continue to go down that path.

Hi Diesel,

Did you find the secret to manually triggering events with the web browser control Events dropdown? I'd really like to know it if you did!

Unfortunately no, it appears this can only be done via the vnc viewer screen server. I even downloaded the RailControlPro app as it looked promising, but it also just uses the web browser interface and states that Event cannot be triggered. Hopefully Marklin attempts to fix this!

43147.jpg
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 11 August 2022 12:39:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Message #9 was edited by user 11 August 2022 but no reason given, that would likely have triggered an email if you have the thread tagged to follow/watch.

Most likely it was edited for a typo or correction. It would be nice if there was a "show previous edits" option but that's Juhan's domain Smile

There is a prompt for "Reason for edit", it's nice when people use that but it's not forced (at this stage)

Hope this clarifies
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline phils2um  
#14 Posted : 11 August 2022 15:55:11(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Yes, thanks for checking into this. Next time I'll know!
Phil S.
Offline northstar  
#15 Posted : 24 February 2023 00:07:53(UTC)
northstar

Belgium   

Hi Diesel,

Unfortunately no, it appears this can only be done via the vnc viewer screen server. I even downloaded the RailControlPro app as it looked promising, but it also just uses the web browser interface and states that Event cannot be triggered. Hopefully Marklin attempts to fix this!

43147.jpg

@Diesel2000 The creator of RailControl Pro here. I'm using the CS3 web API's for now, but plan to integrate with CAN to support CS2, events and other things as well. Stay tuned 😉
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by northstar