Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jags  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2022 09:13:14(UTC)
Jags

United States   
I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with any of the Marklin Z 2-10-0 class 42/44/50/52 Steam Locos. These would be models:

Along with some others.

How well do these models haul? How many standard Era IV passenger coaches can they handle? What about the difference in the 3 pole vs. 5 pole motors? How about slow speed operation? How well do they work in a "double-header" situation?

Any opinions, observations, and experiences would be much appreciated especially from those of you that own any of these models.

I'm thinking of putting together a Nostalgie Istanbul Orient Express consist as is shown below:

Thanks in advance!!

MY NIOE Composition sm.png

Edited by user 23 July 2022 02:13:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline parakiet  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2022 12:58:57(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Do you have grades?
Offline Jags  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2022 23:06:30(UTC)
Jags

United States   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
Do you have grades?

I have no grades. Everything is flat.

Thanks!

Offline Jags  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2022 11:56:08(UTC)
Jags

United States   
I just received my two class 50 Locomotives! 8154 and 8884. Unfortunately, one of them had a broken brush so now I have to wait for a new set to arrive. The other one was brand new, and it took a few minutes to break in, but it's running great now. Can't wait to get the other one up and running to see how well they will work as a double-header pair.

Here are my observations so far regarding the one Loco that I do have working at this time. As far as hauling is concerned, it's pretty easy to pull five of the standard passenger coaches. The trick is to keep the speed slow. It seems that no matter what type of load you have, if you run the speed too high the wheels do slip. Even when the Loco is just running solo! There seems to be a "magic spot" where the wheels are actually rotating at the correct speed that matches the forward motion of the Loco. Give too much juice and the wheels spin faster and start to slip but the speed does not get faster.

These Locos are 3-pole but seem to be able to go very slow and steady. In a way they are actually behaving very much in a prototypical way. I've seen many videos where Steam Locos have slipping issues. Much the same as these little Z scale Locos.

Here they are:

50s