Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bgemski  
#1 Posted : 04 August 2022 23:24:10(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Hello all
I have a question I hope someone can help out. I just received a Marklin 37976 PRR Mikado in excellent condition. I am using the CS3 Plus. The locomotive is seen as it should, mfx decoder, has lights but no sound at all. It runs great forwards and back no issues, as said has the lights that I can turn on and off but the other functions (sound) there is none at all. According to the manual it should have sounds. I didn't try the smoke since it is not installed. I dug further into the manual, and it states the address from the factory is set at 40. I have the NY Central Mikado as well I did not realize that it was also set at address 40 BUT it has the older decoder and is non mfx. Could that have been an issue? Evne though one is fx and the other mfx?
Not sure how to proceed from here, I am thinking that it may need to be sent out, but again not sure. Any ideas? Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Oh and as a side note my other Mikados all have sound and do work properly.
Online kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 04 August 2022 23:31:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bgemski Go to Quoted Post
Hello all
I dug further into the manual, and it states the address from the factory is set at 40. I have the NY Central Mikado as well I did not realize that it was also set at address 40 BUT it has the older decoder and is non mfx. Could that have been an issue?

No, that is NOT the source of your problem. It will only be a problem if attempting to run both locos on a system that does not send mfx protocol - and then both locos would run simultaneously.

Your problem is more likely to be a faulty speaker, or the speaker wiring is faulty, dry soldered joint, or something similar.

Offline bgemski  
#3 Posted : 04 August 2022 23:48:46(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I didn’t think that would be an issue looks like i will have to open her up and see the connections and wires for the speaker.
Thank you Alan!
Online kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2022 00:03:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I didn’t think that would be an issue looks like i will have to open her up and see the connections and wires for the speaker.
Thank you Alan!

If this is an early mfx decoder that used a 100 ohm speaker, then these were well known for going open circuit.

Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2022 00:16:06(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
The speaker may have become disconnected. I have a tendency to try resetting the loco before opening it up. Has not helped very often but even if it solves the problem once it is worth the effort. I think you need to be on a programming track to do a reset. Also very first thing to check is what level the volume is set. It might be at zero.
Offline bgemski  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2022 01:25:06(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Just got done checking the speaker and connections all look fine, Re registered it on the cs3 controller still no sound. Looks like I’ll be sending this one out to a dealer to see what they say.
Not really happy but it’s out of my hands
Offline bgemski  
#7 Posted : 05 August 2022 01:26:48(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
The speaker may have become disconnected. I have a tendency to try resetting the loco before opening it up. Has not helped very often but even if it solves the problem once it is worth the effort. I think you need to be on a programming track to do a reset. Also very first thing to check is what level the volume is set. It might be at zero.

Volume was set at 255 according to the cv value, I believe at this point it’s the speaker
Offline bgemski  
#8 Posted : 05 August 2022 01:29:18(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Alan!

If this is an early mfx decoder that used a 100 ohm speaker, then these were well known for going open circuit.

Yeah I’m thinking the speaker isn’t good. All the connections are solid and the volume was not at zero according to what the CS 3 read. I have Re registered it a few times but same result in the end.
Offline bgemski  
#9 Posted : 05 August 2022 01:49:41(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Thank you guys for the help! I appreciate it!
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2022 15:42:58(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
An ohmmeter across the speaker would tell you if there is continuity in it.
Offline bph  
#11 Posted : 07 August 2022 11:58:40(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
sometimes the speakers just "die", other times the speaker amplifier on the decoder is blown, eg because of a short etc.

But try to replace the speaker first, according to Marklin its part no E120174 (28 mm, 8 Ohm, 1 watt)

you can of course use most "slim" 28mm 8ohm speakers, eg this one https://www.puiaudio.com/products/AS02808MR-LW152-R and there are other good/better options also.

If the speaker output is not working you have to replace the decoder.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline bgemski  
#12 Posted : 07 August 2022 18:45:01(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hi
sometimes the speakers just "die", other times the speaker amplifier on the decoder is blown, eg because of a short etc.

But try to replace the speaker first, according to Marklin its part no E120174 (28 mm, 8 Ohm, 1 watt)

you can of course use most "slim" 28mm 8ohm speakers, eg this one https://www.puiaudio.com/products/AS02808MR-LW152-R and there are other good/better options also.

If the speaker output is not working you have to replace the decoder.

UPDATE
I opened up the tender yesterday and it’s the connection but inside the speaker. Not the wires going from the decoder to the speaker itself. I have a few extra speakers from digital upgrade kits in the past. I will throw one on and button her back up.

Thank you all for the replies and advice. Much much appreciated!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bgemski