Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dannyboyz  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2022 15:25:26(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
I have just received a piece of rolling stock from an ebay seller in Italy. The piece has one coupler missing. Under a magnifying glass, I can see that the spring is still there. The little metal plate over the coupler has been bent. So, a couple of questions as I can not, after a quick look, find the answers. a) Are the couplers easy to replace and if so, how? and b) Where can I get the replacement 'fish hook' type couplers? Any advice would be appreciated. I have sent the seller a messager and he has offered to refund €7.00.
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2022 22:25:06(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I haven't swapped any couplers on rolling stock as I couldn't be bothered due to the value of the carriage and I only have two that have an issue and can stick them at the end of the train.

I have replaced couplers on locomotives. The tiny spring will fly off and will take forever to find. So probably best to work inside a plastic bag with oxygen supply, it's that hard to find them, if at all.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2022 22:36:35(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dannyboyz Go to Quoted Post
I have just received a piece of rolling stock from an ebay seller in Italy. The piece has one coupler missing. Under a magnifying glass, I can see that the spring is still there. The little metal plate over the coupler has been bent. So, a couple of questions as I can not, after a quick look, find the answers. a) Are the couplers easy to replace and if so, how? and b) Where can I get the replacement 'fish hook' type couplers? Any advice would be appreciated. I have sent the seller a messager and he has offered to refund €7.00.

The little metal plate is held on by a couple of plastic pins which are melted at the end to hold the plate in place. It is straightforward enough to cut the ends of these pins to release the plate, but then you're left with the challenge of re-fixing it once the coupling has been replaced. A dab of suitable adhesive should do the trick, but I don't have any personal experience. I think the one time I did do this I melted what was left of the end of the pin, and that seems to have done the trick, but there's not much to keep everything secure.

Replacement couplers and springs are held under the part number E166264, but they'll probably not be cheap if you can find them at all. I have a pack here and I'd be happy to post you a couple if that would be of help.

Good luck

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton