Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike1  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2022 07:36:38(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Hi, I am new to this forum and any forum infact, hoping someone may be able to help please. I have a dcc layout and just purchased the rev1 reverser, I believe i have done everything correctly with gaps and wiring, however, the engine enters the loop after the gap, but speed reduces to about half, on exit it speeds up to normal speed again. in reverse it runs without a problem. there is a red light and yellow on all the time, possible the yellow light flashes. I am only running an engine and the loop is about a metre long. Bus wires are connected to "in" terminals and droppers connected to "out" terminals then two two places on rails in isolated loop. hoping you can advise, many thanks in advance.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2022 09:43:17(UTC)
H0

Hi, Mike!

Welcome to the forum.

Most users here use Märklin H0 tracks where reversers are not needed.

The reverser you have should show the NORM light or the INV light, depending on the state. If these lights are flashing, then there is something wrong.

Manual indicates: "Works with all DCC command stations which can provide 2.5A output or greater."
Which controller are you using?

The yellow flashing light could indicate the problem. Which yellow light is flashing?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike1  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2022 09:55:30(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Thanks Tom, I have peco tracks, turnouts etc , lights are not flashing, only a yellow flashes when loco traverses the break and I think thats the way it is supposed to work. I have a power cab controller, at this point I cant advise which yellow light flashes i need an assistant for that, its very difficult to identify which light is which on that board. The other thing that happens when it enters the loop and runs about half speed is the motor noise changes "hums" "hunts', still smooth running but half speed. Thanks again, hoping for a solution, cant figure it out.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2022 11:50:39(UTC)
H0

I cannot tell if this is a wiring problem or a defect of the REV1.

I assume the REV1 has different sets of output transistors or triacs for "straight" and "crossover". Maybe one of the transistors is not functioning, causing problems in one direction.
Or maybe there is a problem with one of the rail insulations, only affecting one direction.

If you had two REV1 units, then it would be good to test with the second device. I assume you only have one.

But I could be totally wrong. Maybe someone else has some ideas. People from down under or the USA will respond at different times.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike1  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2022 13:37:12(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Thanks Tom, Nothing to adjust on the rev1 board, if I swap the output wires of the board then the loco will run fine forward but half speed in reverse, swap again and the opposite is true, seems a very simple install, have swapped wires around but nothing changes except as I mentioned, works in one direction but only half speed in the other, yes, nice if I had two units to compare but this was the last one available in Australia that I can see. Hard to prove there is something wrong with the unit if indeed there is, fingers crossed someone will come up with the solution. Thanks, Mike
Offline Rob11966  
#6 Posted : 26 July 2022 14:41:54(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately I am not enough of an expert to comment on your particular module. However, I run a very similar sounding setup to yours - NCE controller, Peco tracks, Trix loco's and a short reverse loop. I used the Lenzlk200 module and it has worked flawlessly. If your system is completely isolated as you have indicated (gaps on both rails on both of the exits of the points), this suggests to me an incompatibility with the NCE system or a faulty module. I know this it not so helpful, but I can reassure you that the Lenz module works well in the event that you have to replace the module.
Rob
Offline Rob11966  
#7 Posted : 26 July 2022 15:09:38(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Mike,
The only other thing to add, is that the Powercab is rated at 2A output - if the REV1 manual states that it works with DCC systems with an output of 2.5A or greater, this may be an issue?
Rob
Offline mike1  
#8 Posted : 26 July 2022 22:48:58(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
OK, appreciate your thoughts and knowledge Rob, can only think maybe a faulty board but how do i prove it?, understand the amperage issue, good thought but it has the power to run perfectly one way, backwards or forwards depending on rail connection just not both directions, yep the loop is isolated both rails, both ends. Cheers, Mike
Offline mike1  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2022 01:42:15(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Hi all, just a quick update, Initially, i tested with two locos, both performed with the same issue, this morning i tried a third, same issue then a fourth, this time this engine ran with no problems!!!!, one out of four has no issue, when i can figure out how I shall try to reset decoders to factory and see if that makes a difference, will come back to advise. Thanks all, Mike
Offline mike1  
#10 Posted : 28 July 2022 10:54:34(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Hi all, Nope, reset decoders to factory, no change, all but one out of five locos run at half speed (appox) in forward but reversing through same loop run fine, the fifth loco runs forward and backward with no problem. Most of my locos are a few years old but my son has some brand new $700 plus locos and they suffer the same fate. Think my only option is to try another reverser, $$ ouch, unless there is someone out there that has an answer. Cheers, Mike
Offline Rob11966  
#11 Posted : 28 July 2022 22:59:12(UTC)
Rob11966

Australia   
Hi Mike,
Sounds like you have tried most things. I'm not sure what gauge of bus wire you are using to feed the reverser but if it is on the smaller side, you could try a larger gauge straight from the powercab, just in case there is a small voltage drop issue. Maybe even an additional track feeder?
The other option is to email the manufacturer. I have found that many of the model train manufacturers are very keen to help with technical advice - it may be a known problem, or they may just swap out the unit for you.
Rob
Offline mike1  
#12 Posted : 28 July 2022 23:58:31(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Thanks again Rob, I am using very heavy 'clear', professional gauge speaker wire for the bus runs and connected the module directly to this, I used hookup wire in short runs to feed rail droppers and the same from reverser to loop in two places . I am thinking its about voltage drop on entering the loop in a state when it has to change polarity, reversing back through the loop the phase is already correct and engine seems to run fine!!!!!. Perhaps as mentioned earlier there is some power issue with the powercab and this rev1 unit. I propose to add another bus feed near the loop entry point to see if any change, beyond that, you are correct I will try the manufacturer and let you know if I can solve this, thanks again, Mike
Offline mike1  
#13 Posted : 04 August 2022 09:32:22(UTC)
mike1

Australia   
Hi all, thank you for your interest, just thought I would advise you that I am an idiot, for some reason I thought the REV1 was a Marklin product, having stressed the powers that be at Marklin they advised it was not one of their products and could not help me. I am now annoying Block signalling who take ownership of this product, have completed many tests at their request, seems the module may be faulty, will wait for the outcome, again, thanks to those that responded here, Regards, Mike