Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dannyboyz  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2022 22:26:10(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
I received what I believe to be the Marklin 8888 steam locomotive in blue and grey yesterday. On putting the locomotive on my test track - nothing. Eventually, after a bit of persuasion, it started to move. The running has improved a bit, but it seems to be very noisy and is still a bit erratic. The direction of travel makes no difference and the light in the 'nose' can only be seen when there is almost maximum power applied. Is it just a case of it needing plenty of running in, or is it possibly a case of the 'old grease syndrome', (sorry, can not find the proper technical termBigGrin ). I have not applied any oil or done anything else to the locomotive and must admit, I am a bit hesitant to get the little screwdriver out. I do not mind so much with my n gauge stuff, but it is a bit daunting with z gauge stuff. Does any one with more knowledge have any suggestions please?. I should point out that I bought the locomotive as 'used' and without a box, but it does appear to be in virtually new condition.
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2022 01:41:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That is a great locomotive, a Marklin Dealer special model usually signifying limited production from 1994. Here is information I found about it in the z weekly. That is basically a BR 10 with a special paint job and streamlining panels.

http://ztrainsweekly.com...-br-10-steam-locomotive/

Just think, a model almost 30 years old, still looks new and has already shown you some signs of life. It is amazing how these well designed jewels just seem to keep going and going.

You are right, Hardened Oil Syndrome (HOS) may have set in on this locomotive. It will cause the problems you have described. If not cleaned out, this locomotive may run but might be erratic and run hot, eventually burning out the motor. Since you have experience with N gauge, the z scale is not really that much different, mostly it is smaller. The one issue I can see ahead if you decide to dive in is that with the steam locomotives the drive wheels once removed for cleaning, must be re-synchronized (a process you might know as quartering). You can search this site for a discussion on this process. Most users new to Z don’t start working on locomotives with this complexity, but your experience may give you an advantage. There aren’t that many parts, but they are small and easy to lose. Once one goes missing, you likely cannot get the from Marklin but will need to check the secondary market. Good luck, a steady hand and courage will likely get you thru. Just take your time. If you have a small screwdriver, that is usually all you need. A ultrasonic cleaner is helpful and gets your parts really clean, but not for the motor. If you have some lite oil, these usually do not harden. Synthetic oil works well. If you decided to upgrade to a 5 pole motor it is E211909, good luck finding one, but who knows. I don’t have this locomotive, so am not familiar with what is available. Brushes are available if needed, you will probably find these.

I searched the Marklin website and did not locate a parts breakdown and diagram. I will keep looking and share what I find, but I might not find this exact model but an equivalent. If I find something, this diagram will give you an idea how this is assembled. I took photos of each step when I started. The position of the drive wheels in a photo might help as long as somebody was not in this locomotive before you.

It might be a challenge, but it is not impossible and you will likely get this locomotive working like it should in no time.

Best wishes. Enjoy.

Dwight

P.s. found diagram

https://static.maerklin....d044ff55d21434542306.pdf
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline dannyboyz  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2022 11:28:02(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post

That is a great locomotive, a Marklin Dealer special model usually signifying limited production from 1994.

Hi Dwight,

I have to say that the locomotive does look quite splendid in the blue and grey colour scheme. The links you provided are very useful and the advice you have given will come in handy *when* I get round to having a look at the inner workings of the locomotive. Thank you. ThumpUp

Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 23 July 2022 15:44:55(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, I know what you mean.

For the past several weeks I have had a Br212 Sersa apart and back together about six times searching for a way the make it quiet and smooth. It is a surprise when even new parts don’t make a difference.

This has not happened to me before. When my solution does not solve the problem, I have to put it away and think about it for a few days. I guess it goes this way sometimes.

Best not to rush into things, enjoy the moment.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2022 00:30:40(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I know what you mean.

For the past several weeks I have had a Br212 Sersa apart and back together about six times searching for a way the make it quiet and smooth. It is a surprise when even new parts don’t make a difference.

This has not happened to me before. When my solution does not solve the problem, I have to put it away and think about it for a few days. I guess it goes this way sometimes.

Best not to rush into things, enjoy the moment.

Take good care.

Dwight

Sometimes the solution just doesn't come - I'm a pretty analytical guy but, for example, my 88807 runs kike a dog. I've disassembled, reassembled lubricated, run in and exchanged parts from other, smooth running Class 216/218s. Still its running is a lumpy as sack of stones, and just as noisy!

I'm sure there is a solution, but it's eluding me!

Experience tells me that examples of the same model can have very different running characteristics. Despite the obvious precision with which Marklin manufacture their locos, the tolerances are clearly not sufficiently controlled that all models of the same type run in the same way.

Frustrating to say the least, and I definitely feel that a new purchase is something of a lottery. I reckon fewer than half of my locomotive purchases run to my satisfaction out of the box and probably half of the ones that don't end up being returned to the seller or Marklin themselves.

Of course I still love Z scale and once I have a loco running smoothly all is forgotten, but it can certainly be a test of your faith sometimes!

Cheers!

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2022 01:13:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Yes I agree. This was a new old stock item off of eBay. Turns out it is closer to old than new.

I noticed the handrail was a bit damaged, but went ahead and bid on it anyway anyway. As I mentioned, I have taken this one apart more than enough times. The original motor was so bad, it would burn your hand after running three or four minutes. I had to use tweeters to take it off of the rails. This is the first series of v100/212s, 8869# group and they seem to have more issues. Things have been refined in the bogie and wheels area and the wheel contacts to circuit board. Despite adding a few new parts, and a different motor I cannot get this one to run quietly. Seems to lack speed as well.

Sometimes I think someone dropped this locomotive at one time or another another. Perhaps this is what twisted the handrail on one corner. I have noticed a single drop on the floor will really influence running characteristics. Ouch. A soft carpet minimize damage, but it has never run as quiet and smooth as it did before.

I might never be truly satisfied with this one, but I cannot give up on it, after all it is the Sersa.

Thanks for your observations. Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline georgi UK  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2022 18:19:04(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   
DIY guide here, with plenty of info. = http://www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html

As Dwight points out the critical reassembly is getting the wheel set timing spot on, (dont remove the wheels from their axles!) I start nearest the motor and work outwards. When correct the balance weights will be in the same radial position for the side you are looking at.

Use a foam sponge with a slit to hold the loco secure on the bench and a magnet to keep the parts secure,,,,,

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 28 July 2022 23:54:33(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed image link

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by georgi UK
Offline dannyboyz  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2022 19:51:42(UTC)
dannyboyz

Ireland   
Originally Posted by: georgi UK Go to Quoted Post
DIY guide here, with plenty of info. = http://www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html

[img=https://ibb.co/MPkTg7K]timing[/img]

Another piece to put in my 'Information' folder - thank you. ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dannyboyz
Offline georgi UK  
#9 Posted : 26 July 2022 16:16:51(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   
Just to add, for the dim lights use the CKled units for improved lights, can recommend,,,,

https://ckled.co.uk/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by georgi UK