Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2022 22:18:00(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Today I like to show my Faller B-93 station 'Zeven'.

B-93 was a fantastic (early) Faller kit and shows the great talent of the Faller brothers.
It was one of the first 'full plastic' kits, it didn't had an earlier wooden base/roof variant.
B-93 was in the Faller program from 1958 till 1964, a rather short life for a Faller kit.

Now - almost 60 years after it was discontinued - the kit still enjoys a vast popularity and is often the favorite model of Faller fans (as can been seen in the B-93 thread on forum Alte Modellbahnen).

A smart move to keep costs down for Faller, was the use of a modular system, so parts could be used in several kits.
Some parts of B-93 can also be found in other kits, such as 916, 917, 968 ...

I gave up in finding an unassembled B-93 kit, it's just too rare.

But a month ago I did found an assembled B-93 kit with its 1959 box and papers.
The box can easy be identified as 1959, because B-93 was printed in red ink on a yellow background, a feature that only the 1959 box has.
(On boxes dated after 1959, the number was printed on a white background).

The box shows a nice idyllic scene in the usual Faller style of that time.
The kit I bought (in Italy) was assembled in 1960 with a tube of the old Faller PC505 glue by an Italian modeller.
And he did a perfect job. He built it straight out of the box, no paint, no added flowers ...
So on both sides I painted a few bricks and added flowers in the 1950-60 Faller fashion.

I hope you enjoy my pictures.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2022 22:20:59(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
You may have noticed on the pictures, that the roof of the left side building does not fit well on the main building.
That's because I cut the roof off, so I can make a small 1960s tube light on the ceiling of the station's passenger tunnel.
I hope that will look cool.
It's not original, but I think the brothers would approve on that. BigGrin

I also have to replace the damaged chimneys.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2022 00:00:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
You may have noticed on the pictures, that the roof of the left side building does not fit well on the main building.
That's because I cut the roof off, so I can make a small 1960s tube light on the ceiling of the station's passenger tunnel.
I hope that will look cool.
It's not original, but I think the brothers would approve on that. BigGrin

I also have to replace the damaged chimneys.

Marco

I do like the way you have painted the bricks over the windows and doors a contrasting colour. That just picks out the detail nicely.

I wouldn't use those bulbs in the 'tunnel', I would use some small LEDs with a bit of clear sprue over them to simulate the fluorescent lamps, and run fine wires though into the room you have uncovered on the surface of the ceiling. This would savew you needing to cut into the ceiling to fit the bulb, and you could use an electronic module that causes fluorescent turn on flicker to power them.

Edited by moderator 13 July 2022 08:31:46(UTC)  | Reason: Deleted the quoted photos

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Br502362  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2022 07:50:53(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   

I do like the way you have painted the bricks over the windows and doors a contrasting colour. That just picks out the detail nicely.

I wouldn't use those bulbs in the 'tunnel', I would use some small LEDs with a bit of clear sprue over them to simulate the fluorescent lamps, and run fine wires though into the room you have uncovered on the surface of the ceiling. This would savew you needing to cut into the ceiling to fit the bulb, and you could use an electronic module that causes fluorescent turn on flicker to power them.

Hi Marco,

Those bulbs can also be very hot if they are ment for cars.
They are easily from 3W to 10W !!!

I also suggest LEDs with clear sprue.

Best regards
Åke

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2022 07:53:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Thank you Alan, but I prefer the vintage tube light and keep things analog. BigGrin
This was the way to go in the 50/60s.
In those years Kibri had a nice lighting set for stations and platforms; Kibri 5830..

I'm not going to cut into the ceiling, I just burn a very small hole in it for 2 fine wires and run those through the roof and through the side building to the underside of the kit.

I'm a 'spielbahner', I'm moddeling vintage modeltrains & layouts and not after achieving realism.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Br502362  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2022 07:56:32(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Thank you Alan, but I prefer the vintage tube light and keep things analog. BigGrin
In those years Kibri had a nice lighting set for stations and platforms; Kibri 5830..

I'm not going to cut into the ceiling, I just burn a very small hole in it for 2 fine wires and run those through the roof and through the side building to the underside of the kit.

I'm a 'spielbahner', I'm moddeling vintage modeltrains & layouts and not after achieving realism.

Hi Marco,

Those Kibri lights are just right for your station!!! Love
I have them too.

Cheers
Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline kweekalot  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2022 16:25:01(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi,
I installed the 1950/60 Kibri light.
And created a new problem, a piece of the roof of the main building fell off during my work on the kit (and I haven't found it yet).
I have to address that (as well as the chimney repairs), before I can move on to the next project. (B-275).

This B-93 project didn't cost me much, the kit was € 25 including the super rare 1959 box (which is the only 1959 B-93 box I've ever seen on the web) and the Kirbri light was € 2.00 on the Eurospoor webshop.

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline BenP  
#8 Posted : 24 July 2022 18:47:27(UTC)
BenP

United States   

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I too like old style lights, but reached limit of 32VA Marklin transformer (about 60 lights) that powers them. Replaced with 40VA AC wall transformer. Also moved power of warm white led lights in houses to wall 12V DC power. Track, signals and rolling stock lights powered by cs3.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 24 July 2022 19:43:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Marco
I always enjoy your findings.
I understand you are a true purist using only things available at the time (Late 50s) so you end up with a large soffite lamp.

Like you I found a B215 panoramic restaurant with a rotating sign on the roof and a bulb coming with the kit.
Like many I soon discovered that bulbs:
- don't last long (you keep on changing them
- they melt the plastic as it did on the inside of my B215 restaurant.

Of the same period, Bush made adverts and illuminated signs alas they all burned rather quickly. I miss them

So don't you sometimes want to use LEDs that are inexpensive, super compact, non-heating, super bright?

But I can understand the urge to restore the ambiance of the 1950s and 1960s layouts.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kweekalot  
#10 Posted : 24 July 2022 22:06:52(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Thanks Jean ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Yes, the B-215 bulb is troublesome.
I keep the voltage a bit lower, so the bulb doesn't get too hot.
For the B-215 a LED light is maybe a much better alternative.

Frank, a German mrr enthusiast built a B-215 with an illuminated rotating Gasoline sign, he showed his model in 2016 on FAM, maybe you've already seen it.
I like that one a lot, couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it.
See here: https://www.altemodellba...B-Gasolin.html#msg358007

I keep buying these "panoramic restaurants/cafe's": B-215, B-4914 1st and 2nd version, B-137 and 141072.
I kept them all unassembled, I have at least 8 of them.
Until a few years ago I thought there is B-215 and B-4914 and never spent much attention to B-137 (the Snack Bar version of B-215), only recently discovered that B-137 is actually very cool and nice too (as well as 141072, the Go Kart version of B-215).
See here for the Snack Bar: https://www.altemodellba...eberhaupt.html#msg519881

I want to do a build and do something special with one of my panoramic kits, make it my ultimate dream B-215 model, but I haven't figured out what exactly.
But an illuminated rotating sigh is on my wish list, maybe even an illuminated Marklin-users.net rotating forum logo.

But first I want to finish the B-275 Farm project, that's my dream model too, that is also a kit with a very short life in the Faller program (1961-65).

Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2022 12:17:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Marco
The illuminated sign is indeed just great and no I didn't see it before.
Frank (the modelist who did this) added 2 lights like with soffite lamps but I think, it is detrimental to the looks.
I have also noted that this is when you have nothing to lose on a ruined object that you do the best creative work.
The Altmodelbahnen Xobor is very rich of info on old trains.
Thanks for the idea
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB