Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 25 June 2022 14:16:04(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
All my Marklin mfx locos have a funny « glitch » and I wonder if something can be done about it.

When you go pass a certain speed and then throttle down again the sound which was at a certain level suddenly almost becomes quiet and then after a delay of a few second seems to come back louder.

Is this normal? Does ECU sound card do the same?
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2022 14:51:38(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I have a lot of mfx locos and I have never experienced that problem. I have run them on two different layouts with two different CS3+ controllers and a MS2. Is it all your locos and what controller are you using?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2022 15:00:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
All my Marklin mfx locos have a funny « glitch » and I wonder if something can be done about it.

When you go pass a certain speed and then throttle down again the sound which was at a certain level suddenly almost becomes quiet and then after a delay of a few second seems to come back louder.

Hi
For steam locos, this is quite normal and reflects reality:
- when a steam engine produces a lot of effort, it is very loud
- when a steamer goes downhill or slows down, then the engineer reduces the steam intake to reduce the effort. This is why steam is silent on Märklin locos
- sometimes even, the engineer starts countersteam which is loud but not reproduced in our miniature trains

So this is not a failure but an intended situation

Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2022 16:15:56(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
As JohnjeanB worote, its normal.

And is possible to adjust the settings on the newest mfx locomotives if you have a CS3/CS2 connected to a pc. ref this post:https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t47388-Reprogramming-Factory-fitted-decoders

The following adjustments are possible, in the mDecoderTool.
Loaded is default to full, and is regulated by the main volume.
normal running (Laut Normallast). is constant speed on flat tracks. (the value 200 is in reference to the main volume)
Unloaded (Laut Leerfall), is the chuffs when slowing down or going downhill. the value 35 is quite low and I usually adjust it up to around 80-100
standing still(lautsterke Grundrauschen) is the constant steam hissing you have when the locomotive is standing still. 255 is quite loud so i personaly adjust this down.
the "Grundrauschen" volume is only available in recent locomotives with new decoder projects. eg in the 844. (recently Marklin made a change in their sound configuration files)

an example screenshot from mdecodertool. Double click on the Running Sound and you will get the menu.
Laut_leerfall.jpg
Please note that if you scroll down in this menu, using a scroll wheel on the mouse, it's easy to accidentally change other values, and completely mess up the chuffing.

After the changes are done, you have to upload the entire project to the locomotive, which means settings and sound. (takes around 45-50 min). and of course at your own risk.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#5 Posted : 25 June 2022 17:21:45(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post

Hi
For steam locos, this is quite normal and reflects reality:
- when a steam engine produces a lot of effort, it is very loud
- when a steamer goes downhill or slows down, then the engineer reduces the steam intake to reduce the effort. This is why steam is silent on Märklin locos
- sometimes even, the engineer starts countersteam which is loud but not reproduced in our miniature trains

So this is not a failure but an intended situation

Cheers
Jean

Thanks for setting this straight, I run steam only at fast pace, I have diesel in the yards so it never dawned on me to try them in the same manner as my steam locos.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 25 June 2022 17:24:25(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Hi
As JohnjeanB worote, its normal.

And is possible to adjust the settings on the newest mfx locomotives if you have a CS3/CS2 connected to a pc. ref this post:https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t47388-Reprogramming-Factory-fitted-decoders

The following adjustments are possible, in the mDecoderTool.
Loaded is default to full, and is regulated by the main volume.
normal running (Laut Normallast). is constant speed on flat tracks. (the value 200 is in reference to the main volume)
Unloaded (Laut Leerfall), is the chuffs when slowing down or going downhill. the value 35 is quite low and I usually adjust it up to around 80-100
standing still(lautsterke Grundrauschen) is the constant steam hissing you have when the locomotive is standing still. 255 is quite loud so i personaly adjust this down.
the "Grundrauschen" volume is only available in recent locomotives with new decoder projects. eg in the 844. (recently Marklin made a change in their sound configuration files)

an example screenshot from mdecodertool. Double click on the Running Sound and you will get the menu.
Laut_leerfall.jpg
Please note that if you scroll down in this menu, using a scroll wheel on the mouse, it's easy to accidentally change other values, and completely mess up the chuffing.

After the changes are done, you have to upload the entire project to the locomotive, which means settings and sound. (takes around 45-50 min). and of course at your own risk.

Thanks for that I will give it a try (« at my own risk »Blink ) just to try to tone down the transition.

Although this is, as mentioned by johnJeanB, prototypical the transition is so abrupt that it becomes a bit annoying to my ears.

Anyway thanks all for setting me straight and for the help.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2022 17:07:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If you only change the volume CV value in the set up menu, but not also the configuration menu, does it remain that upon shut down and restarting the CS3?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 26 June 2022 17:17:37(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
If you only change the volume CV value in the set up menu, but not also the configuration menu, does it remain that upon shut down and restarting the CS3?

Any change you make on a loco through its CVs is stored IN the loco.
When re-booting, the CS3 needs to re-read the value before doing any change (loco/edit,etc)
Normally, you reboot the CS3 and just use the loco. It remembers everything
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB