Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline diavolino  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2022 19:19:12(UTC)
diavolino

Italy   
I have a set of wagons with interior lighting and current conducting couplers.

The light stays always on; I would like to convert the wagons so that it I can control the lights digitally.
I control my layout using MS2 and plan to upgrade to CS3.

Which decoder do you suggest using for such a conversion? Any advice for performing such a digital "conversion"?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2022 12:42:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: diavolino Go to Quoted Post
I have a set of wagons with interior lighting and current conducting couplers.

The light stays always on; I would like to convert the wagons so that it I can control the lights digitally.
I control my layout using MS2 and plan to upgrade to CS3.

Which decoder do you suggest using for such a conversion? Any advice for performing such a digital "conversion"?

Thanks in advance for the help.

There are a couple of ways you could do this, depending on what you may have on hand.

1. If you have converted some locos from 6080/6090x decoders to later model decoders then the decoders you removed could be used to switch the lighting. These decoders will use MM protocol only, but that should not be a problem.

2. ESU make a function only decoder for doing this sort of work. I don't know off hand if it does mfx, if you want them to self register.

3. One of the members of this forum uses TAMS decoders for this purpose. Again I think it is a function only decoder, I don't know if it does mfx.

Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2022 14:01:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
ESU decoers which have an M4 description are mfx. Marklin puts these in some newer cab control cars, so they must have one.
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2022 14:40:45(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Ciao
In addition to the good suggestions from Kiwiallan, you can also use an mLD3/mSD3 decoder e.g. 60972

they can be programmed to function as pure function decoders and they can then handle up to 1.1 amps on aux 5/6, ref the manual. You must set the motor type to 0, aux 5/6. (The green/blue wires then become aux 5/6).
note that you can also use the "normal" aux out in combination with a relay if the lights draw more power than the decoder can handle on the aux.

the mLd3 programming can be done with a CS3, either directly or with the mDecoderTool software through the CS3.

an old 60960 can also be used, but personally, I don't recommend that unless you have one laying around or you can get one extremely cheap.
Offline mario54i  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2022 18:37:18(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
If you use single pole conductive couplers (that in analog are connected somewhere to slider) and current returns to rails through wheels you cannot use the AUX output of a function decoder, or lights will flicker.
The AUX output must drive a relay that connects the line passing through coaches to slider.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i