Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Incognito  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2022 00:16:02(UTC)
Incognito

United States   
I recently acquired a pristine DA 800 locomotive and was thinking of converting it to digital so I could use it with my CS2. I have done this many times with other locomotives usually using high efficiency conversion kits.

PXL_20220613_212829810.jpg

When I opened it up to see what kind of motor it had, I found this.

PXL_20220613_212919509.jpg

PXL_20220613_213030727.jpg

I have never see a motor brush plate such as this. It may be very old. My question is whether I could use a high efficiency conversion kit which would come with a new brush plate or use just a new magnet and keep this brush plate. Would the conversion kit fit or has the motor changed over the years? I had an issue with one locomotive (3071) where the armature shaft on the conversion kit was shorter than the one I was replacing.

One options is to just leave it alone and keep it for historical purposes. I could then not use it on my layout.

Alex
Alex
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Incognito
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2022 00:27:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Incognito Go to Quoted Post

I have never see a motor brush plate such as this. It may be very old. My question is whether I could use a high efficiency conversion kit which would come with a new brush plate or use just a new magnet and keep this brush plate. Would the conversion kit fit or has the motor changed over the years? I had an issue with one locomotive (3071) where the armature shaft on the conversion kit was shorter than the one I was replacing.

One options is to just leave it alone and keep it for historical purposes. I could then not use it on my layout.

Alex

I have never seen a brush plate like that either, so it must be very early production.

I would be tempted to keep the motor and use the 60906 Marklin decoder that was introduced a few years ago for AC motors. using this motor means you are just replacing the reversing mechanism, but it does have the disadvantage that it doesn't have the control finesse of the mld/3 or sound decoders.

I don't think you could replace just the magnet and keep the brush holder as the replacement magnets are a different thickness to the electromagnets.

Offline maruju  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2022 03:02:00(UTC)
maruju

Japan   
T he BR114 (3008) motor brush holder that I digitally converted has a different shape from the DA800 motor brush holder, but it was an unusual shape.
Since Anker was the same as LFCM, I used ESU magnet 51962 and digitally converted it with Lokpilot without replacing the holder.

http://www.maerklin-samm...otiven/da_800/da_800.htm

Looking at the above site, it seems that the engine of DA800 is SFCM, and the holder of high efficiency conversion kits can also be used.
I think you can digitize either by challenging HLA or changing only the magnet.
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2022 05:39:16(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
There is a motor kit that fits the da800, 60943 I think the number was. It will fit no problem.

The 60906 decoder the Alan refers to will drive the current motor satisfactorily, it is effectively a modern day mfx version of the old delta decoder.

The brush plate you have was used on the da800, cm800, db800 and others in the fifties.
Offline mbarreto  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2022 12:59:46(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Your locomotives looks in very good shape and with that old motor, in case it runs well in analogue, I wouldn't convert it to digital and would buy other one and convert it.
An alternative it is use the Märklin decoder for AC motors like Alan wrote.

I have a BR81 and an E10 (or BR110 I don't remember right now) and they are in so good condition and run so well that I don't convert them.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline PerR  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2022 13:48:47(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
It could be a good idea to keep the old AC motor and exchange the relay with a 60906 decoder, because you will likely get a shortcircuit when you mount the upper part again after mounting a 90943 kit. The problem is the the permanent magnet is a little bit wider, so the brush holder will touch upper part. It will run fine until you are doing the final assembly.
Best regards
Per
Offline Incognito  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2022 17:00:11(UTC)
Incognito

United States   
I decided not to touch the motor but I am thinking about putting in a decoder. The 60906 is a good idea, but I have a couple of new unused RLT 1000 decoders from Trenes Digitales in Argentina. Does anybody have experience with these decoders?

Alex
Alex
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Incognito
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 15 June 2022 21:42:10(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alex
All this is a matter of personal choice.
I did the mistake of converting a G800 to digital (with the same motor and a C80 decoder).
And now on nice and old locos I prefer to leave them alone (DL800, SK800, CE800,..) .

Your DA800 / 3005 was build between 1955 and 1957:
- metal casing (so not first year of production)
- old (non plastic) brush collector with Pertinax insulator, sheet metal and brass axle bearing
- former 4 position inverter.
Its case is in very good condition. To keep its value I would not change anything.

Let me explain my choices:
- I like also recent locos with sound and details
- Old locos, no matter what you do, will remain noisy with medium to low traction qualities (regulation, slow speed, smooth operation)
- What is better is to reserve a zone in your layout for "nostalgic" trains
Here is my 1951 G800 (initially with pick-up spoons instead of skis
G800.png

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB