Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Normmeister  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2022 05:36:43(UTC)
Normmeister

I have just now run my recently acquired VT92.5, and there is a running problem. The rear (motor) bogie causes derailments on curves, because the bogie frame jams sometimes when turning. The clearance between the frame ends and the body is very tight and it frequently binds.

Has anyone else had this problem ? Any thoughts about a cure ?
Norm in Oz.
Offline Ross  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2022 06:04:27(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Norm,

What radius curve is it having problems with and what is the track type?

Have you rotated the loco 180 degree and tried running through the same curve?

What is the flange distance of the wheels?

This seems to be a recurring problem as I have read people are also having a similar problem with the ICE 4.

Originally Posted by: Normmeister Go to Quoted Post
I have just now run my recently acquired VT92.5, and there is a running problem. The rear (motor) bogie causes derailments on curves, because the bogie frame jams sometimes when turning. The clearance between the frame ends and the body is very tight and it frequently binds.

Norm in Oz.

Ross
Offline Normmeister  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2022 06:37:47(UTC)
Normmeister

hello Ross

nothing to do with wheel spacing, type of track or direction of travel. It is the ends of the skirting that surrounds the bogie, the clearance to the body is so tight that it jams, one can feel this by upending the loco and attempting to turn the bogie by hand.

Norm.
Offline Ross  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2022 09:02:09(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Norm,

I know and have seen people taking a file to the ICE 4 with a similar problem but before you do this have you sent an email to Marklin service asking what they would advise?

Would a dry lubricant such as Teflon powder be an idea as it is not destructive.

Ask Oliver as he has this loco.

hello Ross

nothing to do with wheel spacing, type of track or direction of travel. It is the ends of the skirting that surrounds the bogie, the clearance to the body is so tight that it jams, one can feel this by upending the loco and attempting to turn the bogie by hand.

Norm.
Ross
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 06 June 2022 10:45:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have this one. I will have a look, but it has been running perfectly on my layout.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Bondijohn  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2022 11:29:10(UTC)
Bondijohn

Australia   
For what it’s worth I ran the 39692 for a fortnight or so without any problems until I added three carriages from 41327. They ran well for short while until the carriages started to derail. I shortened the consist but it didn’t matter if I ran two then one carriage, they still derailed in one particular place inside a tunnel.

I have a preformed Noch layout which I’m still ever so slowly working on. Anyway, I had a look at the track and thought there was a slight anomaly in the pieces of curved track which could be causing the sensitive carriage wheels to spit the dummy.

I remove the train and consist from the track and started to run a 39126 E 10.12. It ran alright until a added to coaches from the 43580. From which time the rear of the loco derailed slightly but amusingly corrected when crossed an x track, not very technical but it is late and I’ve a couple of glasses of red.

Anyway, when I had another look at the track when the train was running I noticed the section of track dipped when the loco went over it causing the rear to derail. I figured the track base was not pure and tended to deflect slightly when weighted. I cut a small piece of cork and slid in under the dip. The train has run well since.

I’m not suggesting that is the solution but in my case it seemed to work, although I have not retried the 39692 and a consist.

Regards,

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bondijohn
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2022 12:20:53(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bondijohn Go to Quoted Post
For what it’s worth ...
not very technical but it is late and I’ve a couple of glasses of red. ...
Laugh Laugh Laugh

Hi John,BigGrin

Your comments brought to mind a note by one of our North American colleagues who said words to the effect that
he never posts : "before two coffees, nor after two wines" !!LOL LOL LOL

Regards,

PJ

Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 06 June 2022 22:04:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ross
To be honest I don't have this VT92.5.
I can assure that Märklin models are thoroughly tested before the full production run. This is a given.

What is possible is an assembly issue (e.g. pickup cable jamming the rotation of the bogie or being squeezed against the body).

Another possibility is one of the part is not correctly manufactured (to specifications). It happened to me once on an SNCF CC40100 loco just after 3 month's use. The worm gear was totally worn out on only one boggie. In this case the only thing is to return to the dealer.

One preliminary test: remove the body. Is the loco running fine now on R1?
If not then probably the best is to return the loco to your dealer not to endanger the warranty.
If it does run fine, chances are with wiring getting in the way. Check closely
If the bogie decoration bumps onto the casing, make sure it is correctly mounted
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Ross  
#9 Posted : 07 June 2022 01:14:22(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Jean,

I don't have said loco. I think you comments were meant to be addressed to Norm.

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ross
To be honest I don't have this VT92.5.
I can assure that Märklin models are thoroughly tested before the full production run. This is a given.
Jean

Ross
Offline Normmeister  
#10 Posted : 07 June 2022 05:30:32(UTC)
Normmeister

A tricky problem like this, I have no faith that the Marklin service department would be of help, let alone the considerable expense and time involved in trying to send it back. Experience that other persons that I know have had is that the Marklin service department struggles with any intermittent fault and tend to dismiss such as "customer incompetence".

So I attempted the job myself. At first I thought it was lack of clearance at the ends of the skirting, so I tried trimming some off. No difference.
I then looked more closely and realised that the metal chassis at the motor bogie end was slightly warped, allowing the top of the skirting to catch when rotating. I straightened this carefully and have now fixed the problem.

regards to all
Norm.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Normmeister
Offline Drongo  
#11 Posted : 07 June 2022 13:39:49(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
A tricky problem like this, I have no faith that the Marklin service department would be of help, let alone the considerable expense and time involved in trying to send it back. Experience that other persons that I know have had is that the Marklin service department struggles with any intermittent fault and tend to dismiss such as "customer incompetence".

So I attempted the job myself. At first I thought it was lack of clearance at the ends of the skirting, so I tried trimming some off. No difference.
I then looked more closely and realised that the metal chassis at the motor bogie end was slightly warped, allowing the top of the skirting to catch when rotating. I straightened this carefully and have now fixed the problem.

regards to all
Norm.

Hi Norm, fortunately you are able to repair and manipulate the structure of the trains, but us mortals have to send the items back (at our expense) to Marklin. And I agree with you regarding the Marklin service department - they DON'T do a very good job. I recently sent Marklin the new turntable as is didn'work - they "fixed" it, sent it back and it still didn't work. So, back to Marklin again and the postage rates have gone up. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 07 June 2022 15:40:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
I had several problems with Märklin locos because grates had not been removed from plastic parts. This caused problems with bogies not turning freely on several items.
I had some items where parts had been mounted the wrong way around, causing various problems including derailments.
Bent metal parts can also cause diverse problems.

We see on Märklin TV that every loco gets a short testrun on an oval. One of my locos came without installed brushes (how did it do the test run?), one loco came with stuttering sound (it would have been able to run a lap, but if it did, no-one was listening).

Testing before the production run may be OK, but testing after production leaves room for improvements.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 07 June 2022 21:41:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I understand Lippe test locos before dispatch to the customer although I suspect this may just be once round a loop.
Many years ago there was a Roco dealer in Scotland who did a complete test on each loco and was able to sort any problem before selling.
A retailer although expecting to receive a perfect model should in my view test any expensive item before sale.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Bryan  
#14 Posted : 07 June 2022 22:05:50(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
In defence of Marklin service they do probably get it wrong sometimes, however in most cases they do get it right and willing to help. I am constantly dealing with them and amazed at what they can fix. We had an ICE 3 in to be repaired, it had to be fixed as per original with the MM2 decoder, no generic mSD/3 was to be used. The original decoder was found in Switzerland, however the leitterplate was also burnt out and not obtainable. We sent it alll back to Marklin and it was returned with the new board and just the cost of return postage. The main point being Marklin must have a huge inventory of non calalogued spares and willing to repair old treasures to how they were originally made, no other brand does this.

Another point about Marklin today, it is manufactured to very complicated specs now, it’s far beyond technically than the days of analogue. The fact is it has to be, it cannot build locos like the old 3047 BR44 anymore, they would not sell and the Marklin reruns prove this.

As for the current Marklin quality it is tops today. We just had a new 39491 Danish Leitra E in and the build quality is quite something. So many of the fine body fittings are now made of metal and stand up to handling better. Many of these parts in the past where of plastic, and broke with the slightest pressure, not anymore. This also has to go back to Marklin under warrantee, however it will be returned quickly with the fault fixed. This is not possible with so many other manufacturers. A great plus for the brand.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 08 June 2022 14:10:58(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
In defence of Marklin service they do probably get it wrong sometimes, however in most cases they do get it right and willing to help. I am constantly dealing with them and amazed at what they can fix. We had an ICE 3 in to be repaired, it had to be fixed as per original with the MM2 decoder, no generic mSD/3 was to be used. The original decoder was found in Switzerland, however the leitterplate was also burnt out and not obtainable. We sent it alll back to Marklin and it was returned with the new board and just the cost of return postage. The main point being Marklin must have a huge inventory of non calalogued spares and willing to repair old treasures to how they were originally made, no other brand does this.

Another point about Marklin today, it is manufactured to very complicated specs now, it’s far beyond technically than the days of analogue. The fact is it has to be, it cannot build locos like the old 3047 BR44 anymore, they would not sell and the Marklin reruns prove this.

As for the current Marklin quality it is tops today. We just had a new 39491 Danish Leitra E in and the build quality is quite something. So many of the fine body fittings are now made of metal and stand up to handling better. Many of these parts in the past where of plastic, and broke with the slightest pressure, not anymore. This also has to go back to Marklin under warrantee, however it will be returned quickly with the fault fixed. This is not possible with so many other manufacturers. A great plus for the brand.

You're Dreamin' (from "The Castle" movie). You have chosen one Marklin item, now I have chosen a Marklin item - their new turntable. It broke down after a day, sent it back for service and 3 months later received it and it didn't work. You call this excellent service - You're dreamin' mate. This would have to be the worst product Marklin have released. And to rub salt into the wound, they are releasing a new version but they won't replace the old version. Yes, excellent service - you're dreamin'.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 08 June 2022 14:36:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I understand Lippe test locos before dispatch to the customer although I suspect this may just be once round a loop.
In a video they say they only do this for items going abroad.
German Lippe customers get their items without this test (but at least we huns can send the items back to Lippe free of charge).
I may be wrong, but I think customers abroad can also take advantage of free return shipments to Lippe.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#17 Posted : 08 June 2022 15:27:05(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
In a video they say they only do this for items going abroad.
German Lippe customers get their items without this test (but at least we huns can send the items back to Lippe free of charge).
I may be wrong, but I think customers abroad can also take advantage of free return shipments to Lippe.

Hi Tom,BigGrin

Thank you for your context and comments re Lippe items to abroad.

Yes, Lippe test everything coming to me. This has been my experience and they also explained
this to me and showed me their testing circuit when I visited their Bremen store (now closed).

I cannot respond about any free return shipments to Lippe since I have never needed this
(am I just lucky Laugh ?)

Regards

Philip
Online dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 09 June 2022 01:30:43(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I had a dead motor in an ESU loco and the cost to ship it back to Lippe was half the price of the model - which obviously is not their fault. I have total faith that they would have gotten it fixed when they received it, and they contacted me to ask why I had not yet sent it. When I told them the shipping cost they said OK and good luck.

At that time they would give you store credits for your shipping cost, which would be great if I were not on the other side of the world.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bryan  
#19 Posted : 09 June 2022 23:26:40(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Drongo
My suggestion to you about the Marklin turntable is to send it to us. We work wth Marklin Service and why we are helped and supported by them. Only place in Australia were this can be done.
Regards
David
Bowral
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline Drongo  
#20 Posted : 12 June 2022 10:47:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Drongo
My suggestion to you about the Marklin turntable is to send it to us. We work wth Marklin Service and why we are helped and supported by them. Only place in Australia were this can be done.
Regards
David
Bowral

Thanks David for the information - I didn't know that there was an Marklin authorise repairer in Australia. Have you repaired one of these TT before ?
Offline Bryan  
#21 Posted : 12 June 2022 14:30:18(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Drongo

We are an authorised Marklin spares stockist. There are only five companies in Australia that deal direct with Marklin, including us, however we are only interested in repairs and rebuilds. To get the authorised Marklin Service Provider status is very hard, there are only about 20 worldwide and there has never been one in the Southern Hemisphere. And of course that is the aim to be as such. The service knowledge you would have access to then would be unbelievable. The real interest is knowing all about Marklin technically and in the very finest detail.

With current Marklin, we work out the fault and if parts are required, we work with Marklin Service to obtain them, if not catalogued. If catalogued spares, then they just go on the next order to Marklin.

If you would like your turntable repaired, best to PM your phone number and would be happy to discuss the problem.

David
Bowral

Offline Drongo  
#22 Posted : 12 June 2022 15:03:34(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Drongo

We are an authorised Marklin spares stockist. There are only five companies in Australia that deal direct with Marklin, including us, however we are only interested in repairs and rebuilds. To get the authorised Marklin Service Provider status is very hard, there are only about 20 worldwide and there has never been one in the Southern Hemisphere. And of course that is the aim to be as such. The service knowledge you would have access to then would be unbelievable. The real interest is knowing all about Marklin technically and in the very finest detail.

With current Marklin, we work out the fault and if parts are required, we work with Marklin Service to obtain them, if not catalogued. If catalogued spares, then they just go on the next order to Marklin.

If you would like your turntable repaired, best to PM your phone number and would be happy to discuss the problem.

David
Bowral

Thanks David, however I have already posted the TT to Marklin service - I posted it on 26th May and it arrived in Germany on 31st May and it's still hasn't been delivered to Marklin. DHL postal service is worst than Australia Post and I'm finding that this attitude of slow service is slowly working its way through all of Germany. The TT is badly designed, badly manufactured and Marklin are too proud to admit that they have released a lemon. I've written to Frank Mayer and asked him not to repair this TT but to replace it with the new version. Again, he hasn't replied as yet. So, you can understand why I'm critical of Marklin products and service. Yes, they used to be a great company, but now not so great.

Regards
Greg
Offline Bryan  
#23 Posted : 12 June 2022 15:25:40(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Greg

We have had a couple of Marklin returns lately held up at the local Post Office near the Marklin factory. For some reason the parcel needs to be collected from the PO and Marklin do not know about the parcel. If your tracking indicates to be collected at the German end PO and there is a delay, contact Marklin Service. Need to tell them it has arrived and state the tracking number..

David
Bowral
Offline Drongo  
#24 Posted : 13 June 2022 08:54:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Greg

We have had a couple of Marklin returns lately held up at the local Post Office near the Marklin factory. For some reason the parcel needs to be collected from the PO and Marklin do not know about the parcel. If your tracking indicates to be collected at the German end PO and there is a delay, contact Marklin Service. Need to tell them it has arrived and state the tracking number..

David
Bowral

David, I can't believe that the German post office is that backward that they don't notify the receiver that there is a parcel to be picked up. I will send a message to my mate, Frank, and advise him that there is a parcel waiting for him at the post office, but I just think they don't really care whether they pick up the parcel today or some day or whenever they feel like it. Here in Australia, Australia post delivers the parcel and if you're not at home to sign for it, they leave a not for you to come and pick it up at the post office. We must be a far more advanced country than Germany. "Advance Australia Fair".
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 13 June 2022 09:45:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Here in Australia, Australia post delivers the parcel and if you're not at home to sign for it, they leave a not for you to come and pick it up at the post office.
Here in Germany, DHL leaves a note or sends a notification e-mail if the parcel is available in a post office, a parcel box, or at a neighbour.
So maybe the problem is with Mother Märklin having no clear instructions internally which person will actually pick up the boxes.

Or maybe the problem is that international parcels are treated different from national parcels.
I had no problems with two orders placed in Switzerland, so it normally works for international packages, too.

Germany is a developing country in some areas. But in this case we may see a Märklin problem, not a Germany problem.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#26 Posted : 13 June 2022 12:33:20(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Here in Australia, Australia post delivers the parcel and if you're not at home to sign for it, they leave a not for you to come and pick it up at the post office.
Here in Germany, DHL leaves a note or sends a notification e-mail if the parcel is available in a post office, a parcel box, or at a neighbour.
So maybe the problem is with Mother Märklin having no clear instructions internally which person will actually pick up the boxes.

Or maybe the problem is that international parcels are treated different from national parcels.
I had no problems with two orders placed in Switzerland, so it normally works for international packages, too.

Germany is a developing country in some areas. But in this case we may see a Märklin problem, not a Germany problem.

Hi Tom,
I agree with you - it's a marklin problem. I have sent an email to Frank Mayer, the service department manager, and I received this automatic reply :-

Ich bin zur Zeit nicht im Hause. Eingehende E-Mails werden nicht weitergeleitet. Dringende Anfragen bitte an service@maerklin.de senden.
I am out of the office. Your mail will not be forwarded. In urgent cases please contact service@maerklin.de

From past experience, I have found that when Frank is away, the service department "play". Like the old adage - "When the cats away, the mice will play". This has been happening for years, so I guess it won't change. I'm sorry if my mention of German work practices, implied all Germans, as this is incorrect. Most workers are very dedicated and diligent, it's the minority of workers who ruin it for the majority. Having said this, it all comes back to the senior management - if they are weak, then to workers will rule.

Greg
Offline tomdakl  
#27 Posted : 20 June 2022 05:29:45(UTC)
tomdakl

New Zealand   

Norm in Oz.

Hi Norm,

I'm running the VT92.5 regularly on any R1-R5 curves, with all sorts of switches, and had no issue.
The only issue I experienced in this model was that a (lengthy) soundtrack introducing the model which played on power upBigGrin
That was corrected with a brief visit to the programming track. Reading the decoder fixed that confusion. Go figure.

Thomas