Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bill L  
#1 Posted : 25 May 2022 01:33:28(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
I purchased on Ebay the Trix Alco PA Union Pacific 600/601 DCC at a very decent price.
I converted it to AC, removed all the DC electronics, replaced the wheels to AC (Wheel parts from my cannibalized BR 216, BR120, ICE, the wheels are the same diameters). Runs well now with LPV4, but I cannot get the top central light to light up.
The front LED light assembly has 5 colored wires. Orange, gray, yellow, purple and black. Testing these wires with power, none of the combinations will light up the central top light. Am I missing something? All the solder points on the LED assembly are soldered with these 5 wires, so I do not think any wires are missing.
Purple wire lights up the bright side lights on both sides in front.
Grey or yellow wire gives the bottom central lights. Grey wire lights it up more brightly.
Not sure what the black wire does.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The loc runs well and I like it, just missing the front top headlights.
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 25 May 2022 02:02:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Doesn't Lokpilot have a manual or schematics for the decoder? Have you tried using the same terminal for the top light as the headlights? Some light terminals are switched independantly of others.
Offline Bill L  
#3 Posted : 25 May 2022 04:29:54(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Thanks, that is the problem, I do not know which wire from the LED light assembly should be connected to the Lokpilot decoder white wire (for front light) (Marklin uses the gray wire for front lights). None of the gray, yellow, purple or black wires from the LED light assembly will work when connected to the LPV4 white wire.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline jerdenberg  
#4 Posted : 26 May 2022 08:13:19(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Did you check the led itself? I don't remember the details, but long ago I managed to blow up a led in an assembly I had transplanted from a Märklin NYC PA to the body of a Trix UP PA (from which I had transplanted shell and bogies to that Märklin PA). With the DC electronics in the Trix PA the top light is constantly on, flashing, btw.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline Bill L  
#5 Posted : 26 May 2022 08:43:02(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Thanks Jeroen. I do not know how to check the LED front top light as I cannot see which wires are connected to the top front center light in the circuit board in the light assembly. What is interesting is that this is a TRIX LED light assembly and the circuit wires in this light assembly look different to the Marklin one such as the one in the Marklin Union Pacific 37610 that I have. The color coding of the wires appear slightly different also. You could be right, as none of the wires when connected, light up the center top light. Thanks,
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 26 May 2022 14:07:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bill

I suggest you look into standard wire colors for Märklin or for NEM
I don't know which wire color Trix uses but my guess is NEM's since you have black
Here it is (from a 60975 sound decoder user's manual)
Sans titre.png
I hope this helps
Jean

Offline Bill L  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2022 04:41:20(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Thanks JohnjeanB: I tried connecting the black wire from the LED light assembly to the rail track, and the other wires one at a time to the center rail track stud (red). The top center light in the light assembly did not light up. So it is very possible this LED light is burnt.
So my work-around was to connect two wires from the platen circuit board, using ESU convention white and blue wires, to a Marklin 2 pin light bulb 610080, insulated them with shrink tape, and placed it in front of the broken LED light. It shines well now. Now I have to figure out how to lower the running noise, a bit loud I might say.
Thanks everyone.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2022 11:51:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bill
Good for you.
Regarding the motor, I have a number of them and they are all noisy (triple Blue Santa Fe, SBB RAm and many electric and diesels).
Even the ones on my VT 11.5 (37605) with Märklin-installed ball bearings are noisy.
The name of this motor is "coffee grinder"
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jerdenberg  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2022 10:07:05(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Bill,

The top light (a blinking Mars light originally) is a tricky one. Long ago I asked for help in deducing how exactly it functioned in this topic.

That was about a Trix PA-PA slave unit (which received front/rear light voltages from the master unit) where the Mars light was made to blink with an additional circuit not present in the master.

It looks as if a scheme was used similar to the one described in a link I found after further search, but using some kind of diode instead of a transistor. The additional circuit was not present in the master PA, which suggests that the components for the master's Mars light were on the decoder pcb (and which might hint at a reason your led did not light up?).

Your post reminded me of the front light assembly of a Trix PA I had lying around waiting for analysis before connecting it to lokpilot, so that is now finally on my desk for tests.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg