Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2022 09:53:33(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I have just had to replace the 745462 Digital Decoder on one of my points. As this contains no mechanical parts I was rather surprised. Confused I inspected the card for any black burnt bits and to my relief found none.

decoder.jpg

Has anybody else experienced this item failing, is it common, can I expect a lot more failures? As it is over two years old and so out of warranty, it could be rather expensive. Crying

Tim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline twmarklinfan  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2022 11:38:23(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Hmm, I use quite a few of these but I haven’t had a failure yet. Have you thought about the Viessmann equivalent? They are a little cheaper.

The point motors however is quite a different story as has been well documented in this forum.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2022 14:50:04(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
have u tried it on another switch?
are you 'calling' it with its correct id on the controller?
I say this because I had some problems in the past with them and it always came down to the two items I listed.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Timnomads  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2022 15:15:17(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
have u tried it on another switch?
are you 'calling' it with its correct id on the controller?
I say this because I had some problems in the past with them and it always came down to the two items I listed.

Hi
I have a spare card and set that to the same address, worked. I also tested the damaged card with a different point motor.
Therefore I deduced the digital card has a problem.
Tim
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2022 21:22:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Not had a problem with them but it is possible the connection to the track or the decoder has come away. Check the address and change it and try again.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2022 03:00:14(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The 74462 is soft programable.

In order to bisect a problem between logic (IC) and switch function (pulse power to the point motor)
you might try to just do a basic Read of the address. In doing so you will also confirm that the switches match.

Comment: for these devices it is possible to programmatically change the address to be different from the DIP switch setting.
The programed address will stay in effect until the switch setting is changed and the device repowered.

If you do not use mFX ...
I suggest
- Setting your controller to DCC only
- Set DIP-10 ON (DCC mode)
- Connecting to the programing track
- Read CV1 (and CV9)

You may wish to do the test on a known good item first to get confidence with the procedure.

WARNING: Do not rely on the power of the Programming track output to drive the actual motor/solenoid.
The programming may be done without a solenoid attached, if you do make progress with being able to read/set the address, then reconnect the item to the main track output to test actual switching further.
Peter
Offline Timnomads  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2022 09:21:40(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
The 74462 is soft programable.

In order to bisect a problem between logic (IC) and switch function (pulse power to the point motor)
you might try to just do a basic Read of the address. In doing so you will also confirm that the switches match.

Comment: for these devices it is possible to programmatically change the address to be different from the DIP switch setting.
The programed address will stay in effect until the switch setting is changed and the device repowered.

If you do not use mFX ...
I suggest
- Setting your controller to DCC only
- Set DIP-10 ON (DCC mode)
- Connecting to the programing track
- Read CV1 (and CV9)

You may wish to do the test on a known good item first to get confidence with the procedure.

WARNING: Do not rely on the power of the Programming track output to drive the actual motor/solenoid.
The programming may be done without a solenoid attached, if you do make progress with being able to read/set the address, then reconnect the item to the main track output to test actual switching further.

Thanks
I will read it again very carefully and do the test.
Tim