Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DutchTiger  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2022 21:30:38(UTC)
DutchTiger

United States   
I've recently ventured into very old Marklin rolling stock. Well before the golden age of the 20s and 30s. What I am unable to find is good resourcenmaterial so I can more accurately identify and date my models. Any advice?
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2022 00:54:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Have you tried Catawiki auction site? Many models of that ear were also by Carrette, so if you can locate any info. on those, you can at least compare them. The next post I see on I.G. of the person who has many like you, I will message you the account name. You might try searching there for antique Marklin #hashtag as well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2022 12:57:28(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
By far the best books are those written by Schiffmann - they cover every facet and variation of what Marklin produced in the larger gauges.

The books each come in two parts - a "textteil", which just contains text and a few black and white photos of key variants (not every item is pictured), and a "bildteil" which is comprised of colour photos of everything mentioned in the "textteil". The only problem you might have is that the Schiffmann books are only available in German. There are, as far as I am aware, no English books which cover Marklin items of that era in any great detail.

http://www.schiffmann-ve...ammlerkataloge/index.php

Best regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2022 06:56:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
While it's true there is not a lot of reference available in English, you might find some of the books from the series "Technical Toys in the Course of Time" to be worth a look.

15 volumes in total, with the first 5 covering the period up to WW1. The series is in three languages, German, English, French.

I have two only from the series, #4 & #9, but they are excellent reading in their own right, and may have some of the information you are looking for.

I'd gladly have more (the full set) but postage from Europe is the killer.

Vol 4 contains reprints of several catalogues, the index page is also attached.

Note that while the preface and item descriptions are multi-lingual, the catalogue reprints are German-only but the original catalogues were printed in English also for the US & UK markets.

Further, these are full catalogues so they contain the entire Märklin range, not just trains. Impressive all the same.

HTH

Cookee

v01.jpg v02.jpg

v03.jpgv04.jpg

v05.jpg v04-p005.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz