Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2022 09:12:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, watched a video today and 2 sisters in Germany sold off their father's toys and collection, they've contacted to dealers, I believe through a negotiator which was present when the Märklin layout was offered for sale. I couldn't believe the amount both offered, 1 was a bit over 700 Euros the other for over 1200 Euros, the end price was settled I think for 1280 Euros.
I can understand some people may not be interested in selling each individual item but the amount of trains (locos) which I've noticed and a lot of houses
were also present., forget about the layout itself which in my opinion didn't have a value by the time you dismantle all the tracks (m-track).
One thing struck me when you buy new locos you wouldn't get much under 400 Euros for 1 but selling them you may be lucky to get 50 Euros from a dealer.
another thing has to be considered are any of the locos in a working condition., so the dealer may take a risk of buying a loco which doesn't work., on the other hand the layout seems to me in a good order and it wouldn't have taken long to establish by turning the system on whether or not any of the locos are working., suppose the dealer is avoiding this to assume they may not work.
my question is: is there so much second hand stuff on the market whereas you get hardly anything for it.
I add a link:

and see what you think of it, unfortunately it's in German

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 22 May 2022 11:12:54(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I couldn't believe the amount both offered, 1 was a bit over 700 Euros the other for over 1200 Euros, the end price was settled I think for 1280 Euros.
The negotiator mentions that that the dealers did not have a chance to test any loco, and that they need to pack and transport the items. Finally, the deal was settled at 1,290 Euros.

another thing has to be considered are any of the locos in a working condition., so the dealer may take a risk of buying a loco which doesn't work., on the other hand the layout seems to me in a good order and it wouldn't have taken long to establish by turning the system on whether or not any of the locos are working., suppose the dealer is avoiding this to assume they may not work.
It is mentioned that the sisters do not have the time and energy for the cumbersome process of selling single items to end users: Take stock, assess functionality, identify buyers (advertise, flea market...?) Mind you that the sisters are probably not MRR buffs, and this is about clearing out after the death of a beloved person, not a hobby job.

One thing struck me when you buy new locos you wouldn't get much under 400 Euros for 1 but selling them you may be lucky to get 50 Euros from a dealer.
M-track layout, thus the locos are probably not from the 400 Euro range.... So, the one should rather analyse for how much the 50 Euro loco is sold in the end, and how long it takes the dealer to sell it. Meanwhile, the dealer is incurring costs (see below).

my question is: is there so much second hand stuff on the market whereas you get hardly anything for it.
In all German second-hand shops I visited: Yes, they are especally cluttered with houses, which are sold at (in my view) low prices. And dealers need to stock, to display, and bridge the time until re-sale. So they need a hefty profit margin to survive.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 22 May 2022 13:03:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
quote:
In all German second-hand shops I visited: Yes, they are especially cluttered with houses, which are sold at (in my view) low prices. And dealers need to stock, to display, and bridge the time until re-sale. So they need a hefty profit margin to survive.
I can't see the point in it or makes sense to me: why buying something you can't sell or survive, I'm sure Ebay can solve this problem., the comments made with this video aren't supportive of how this layout was offered and sold.

quote:

It is mentioned that the sisters do not have the time and energy for the cumbersome process of selling single items to end users: Take stock, assess functionality, identify buyers (advertise, flea market...?) Mind you that the sisters are probably not MRR buffs, and this is about clearing out after the death of a beloved person, not a hobby job.

my assessment was, the person who offered the help (Otto) didn't give them a sound advice or looked for other options, someone with a authority of model trains.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 22 May 2022 15:01:09(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I can't see the point in it or makes sense to me: why buying something you can't sell or survive, I'm sure Ebay can solve this problem.
Well, especially in a case of a household clearance, they have to acquire an entire collection, inclusive attractive and unattractive items. And the dealers survive, because of the surcharge levied, whether selling online or offline.

my assessment was, the person who offered the help (Otto) didn't give them a sound advice or looked for other options, someone with a authority of model trains.
The gent is a TV host. Notably he tried to drive up the price to at least 2,000 Euros.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Mr. Ron  
#5 Posted : 22 May 2022 20:42:27(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
That model railroad if it were for sale here would probably bring a lot more money. Germans tend to be more frugal with their money, more so than us Americans. I personally would have paid more.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 22 May 2022 22:33:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Alsterstreek
Being French (not too far from Germany) I went a few times to visit shops there ("MOBA" or Modelbahn shop) in the Cologne / Düsseldorf / Bonn area or in Berlin.
Some have a monstrous stock of 2nd hand stuff locos, cars, M track, K track, Faller AMS, etc. A real delight.
Sadly because of the declining health of my wife we cannot drive there any more. From Portugal it is even worse (2000 km or more) but why not prepare a list a shops to visit and take an easyjet to a major town in Germany have a large empty suitcase with bubble foam and a credit card and you are in Business.

While attending Inno trans in Berlin in 2018 (a great town to visit) I paid a visit to MOBA some shops:
- Michas Bahnhof, Nürnberger Str. 24A (huge 2nd hand inventory)
- Modellbahnen am Mierendorffplatz 16 (very large shop)
- Turberg Lietzenburger Straße 51

Just an example but you have to check for the town you wish to visit.
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2022 01:20:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
- Michas Bahnhof, Nürnberger Str. 24A (huge 2nd hand inventory)
- Modellbahnen am Mierendorffplatz 16 (very large shop)

If the Google photos are anything to go by, I'd have to agree.....Love Love Love ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline mattj70  
#8 Posted : 03 June 2022 18:35:13(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
That was a great deal!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mattj70