Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wildstix  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2022 15:55:16(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hey beautiful people in mini world!

Just curious here, so let say I have a 300x45 cm double oval track layout and I have a single 67013 controller. How many feeder tracks I need to power that layout just with a single 67013? Is it possible, or it's a ridiculous idea?
Is a double oval track that size must to use 2 controllers, or I can go with just 1 controller?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your inputs! 🙏
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline Toosmall  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2022 16:37:51(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
You don't need any feeder sections, just solder a bit of wire on the outside face of the track. About every 2 metres of track. If you have points, especially multiple points along the track solder a wire before, between and after each set of points, say in the situation of a station.

Think about isolation fish plates in the station area so you can stop one train and power another on the second loop, and vice versa. You don't really want to be putting in isolation later if it can be avoided.

A second controller gives you more flexibility since you have 2 main loops. Wire up assuming you have 2 controllers, so wiring is sorted, no point redoing it, but see how you go with the one controller initially.

IMG_65384.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2022 16:39:42(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
One may be enough. I have always used only one, and my starter layout was only a few centimeters larger than yours is.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline wildstix  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2022 17:05:22(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Thanks for the inputs!

Now, let's raise that slightly, I forgot to mention that each loop has turnouts on the straight. The inner loop branches into 2 lanes and across that, the outer loop branches into 3 lanes. How would that affecting my controller's ability to power the track? is 6 feeder tracks for each loop feasible or it would hurt my controller?
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2022 17:14:49(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Hmmm. I never thought any number of feeders could “hurt” a controller. It just does what it does. Having extra feeder wires just helps with track voltage continuity in case long runs of track show a voltage drop, maybe due to resistance? I guess at some point you need to add boosters but that’s over my head.
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2022 23:25:40(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
You need as much wiring as needed. Firstly that you have reliable power each side of a point soldered but not to the actual point so you can replace it if necessary.

Secondly the nickel rail has 4 times the resistance of copper. Thirdly there is a bit of resistance at every fish plate.

Then you have switches for the branches, but ultimately they need to be connected.

You many even want to run 2 trains per loop. Use a minimum of 3 latching relays for block sections, again more wires to connect.

Only run 1 wire from each terminal on the back of the controller to a terminal block and screw all the wires into the terminal block.

Before you do anything draw up a wiring diagram, it will save you a multitude of issues and time late on.

Ignore all the controllers, but it is best to use terminal blocks at in this photo. Also all the relays plug in to seats so they can be replaced. Even better different coloured wire which I made the mistake of not doing.
60017.jpg
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2022 00:32:27(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Impressive.

I wish my soldering skills were half as good. Great to have everything so neatly organized. I like it very much.

Thanks.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2022 03:54:52(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The relays plug in. The switches are 2 types, made in bulk and plug in. If a switch or wiring fails I can swap it for a spare.

It may look more complex, but it is actually quicker to knock up everything in sets and then plug everything in.

Every minute you spend on planning will save 10 minutes later on.

DSC_0667_114605.jpg

DSC_0668_114603.jpg

DSC_0669_114559.jpg