Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2022 13:25:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Greetings all! I got a Kibri by Viessman 38532 wind turbine kit. I'd like to motorize it. I had a small 3 volt motor but it wouldn't fit in the gear head assy. behind the rotor blades.
I am considering a 12 volt 30 r.p.m. (without load) gear reductiuon micromotor I found on Amazon. I will make a box housing, and use K&S brass tubing to connect it up to the gearhead. I may also get a 16 volt a/c to 12 volt d/c bridge rectifer so I can use a standard Marklin trafo.
The motor is to wide in diameter to fit inside the pylon tower base. The motor that will is too tall, as the pylon is tapered of course.
Other gear reduction motors they offer are 3.5 or 6 volts, but from 100 to 300 r.p.m., which sound way too fast.
Any suggestions, or have any of you done one, or similar?
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2022 23:22:28(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,
Isn't the use of a lower voltage enough to reduce the rotations per minute?

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2022 23:43:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Miguel

Yes it will - to a point.
When the voltage is dropped the torque is also reduced which may make it harder to turn the blades, remember the blades are moving in air and will require a certain amount of energy from the motor to turn them.

Also think what happens to you old 3000 loco when the transformer is turned well down, remember how the motor cogs at very low voltage. any other motor will do a similar thing, in some ways a DC motor may be worse at it.

It is better to have the motor running at a speed where it runs smoothly and then have a reduction gear box to get the desired end speed.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2022 23:52:42(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Miguel

Yes it will - to a point.
When the voltage is dropped the torque is also reduced which may make it harder to turn the blades, remember the blades are moving in air and will require a certain amount of energy from the motor to turn them.

Also think what happens to you old 3000 loco when the transformer is turned well down, remember how the motor cogs at very low voltage. any other motor will do a similar thing, in some ways a DC motor may be worse at it.

It is better to have the motor running at a speed where it runs smoothly and then have a reduction gear box to get the desired end speed.

I agree with you, but probably if it ran at 1/3rd of the voltage it will run ok.

Now let's think in a way to have it working prototipically. Better not use any motor in the turbine and use instead wind from a silent hair dryer.
The wind turbine would rotate much more prototipically ;-))))

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2022 00:49:18(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's to both of you! I tried that with a rotatiing BMW dealer sign. I have it on a 12 volt IHC 3 pole carnival motor. It turns too fast at about 5 volts, and stalls at about 3, so it's tricky to get it turning just so. It does with a bit of hesitation between the armature magnets.
I follow a modeler on I.G who retrofits otherwise unpowered ho scale vehicles to run on his Faller car system. It's amazing what he does. He's younger with better eyes.
He recently did a hi-low, and it not only runs fore and aft, but the forks raise and lower using a second motor.