Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2022 22:52:45(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Having been involved in model railroads for 60+ years, I finally realized that the railroad portion of the layout only amounted to maybe 30% of the total; the other 70% would be the "artistic" aspect. By artistic, I mean the scenery, background, structures, people that make up a complete model image. Imagine a model railroad that consisted only of track and trains; it would get pretty boring after a while. It's the scenery, houses, vehicles, roadways, lighting that brings the railroad to life. A more accurate term for a layout containing trains might be just a "model scene" or "model layout" as there is so much more to it than the trains alone. I'm not trying to change anything; just thinking whatever comes to mind. I mention this because I'm pretty much finished with the trains and track part of the layout and now, I am spending all my time on scenery, building model structures and all other aspects that add up to a visual image of the world around me. Sure, it's the trains that first attract you to this hobby, but it's the other 70% that pulls it all together. Take for example the "Miniatur Wunderland" in Hamburg. It contains so much more than trains. It's the scenery, vehicles, people, buildings, ships and even airplanes that overall make up a miniature wonderland. You could probably omit all the trains from their layout and still have something spectacular to look at.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline jcrtrains  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2022 23:02:31(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
The great thing about model railroading is that there are so many facets to it. At it’s core, there are four parts; imagine, design, build and run. Within those parts, there are endless areas of interest, opportunities to specialize and choices. This forum and others, illustrates the diversity of the hobby.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2022 10:46:59(UTC)
Goofy

A toy world for all aged.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2022 21:15:53(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
I totally agree that there's so much more to a layout than tracks and trains. After all, the trains need places to go to, so you need towns and industries. Beyond that, it comes down to personal preference as to what to emphasize. Some folks are very detail oriented, others like myself may be more "impressionistic", just looking for an overall atmosphere. The nice thing is, there's room for all tastes.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2022 21:28:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yesterday I went to one of the model train Clubs to which I belong here in Brisbane.
I was talking to a gentleman at the live steam track (O, 1 and G gauge) and he said that he was not interested in railways as such, more in the mechanics of the models.

In the main clubhouse there was firstly a group of 20 year olds running and showing their collections of O gauge model trains, some going back to the early 1900s.
Then on a large comprehensively landscaped HO scale layout British OO trains crossed American trains at passing loops, some driven by guys in their 70s/8os.

So across the hobby there are many facets.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Mr. Ron  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2022 20:31:47(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday I went to one of the model train Clubs to which I belong here in Brisbane.
I was talking to a gentleman at the live steam track (O, 1 and G gauge) and he said that he was not interested in railways as such, more in the mechanics of the models.

In the main clubhouse there was firstly a group of 20 year olds running and showing their collections of O gauge model trains, some going back to the early 1900s.
Then on a large comprehensively landscaped HO scale layout British OO trains crossed American trains at passing loops, some driven by guys in their 70s/8os.

Kimball

I am noticing quite a large response from our "down under" members which is great. As a "Yank", I never thought of Australia as having a big model railroad community. I always thought of the U.S.A, GB and Germany as the major model railroad countries.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2022 07:16:45(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post

Kimball

I am noticing quite a large response from our "down under" members which is great. As a "Yank", I never thought of Australia as having a big model railroad community. I always thought of the U.S.A, GB and Germany as the major model railroad countries.

It's just as strong if not more-so further down-under in NZ, particularly per head of population
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Toosmall  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2022 10:49:59(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Not just per head of population, but a bit further west, it is per square km of population.

Being a professional model maker, overcoming architects ever increasing dodgy drawings. I have seen really good models ruined by shocking growies (landscaping). On the other hand I have seen pretty dodgy models hiding a multitude of sins with excellent growies.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2022 17:14:29(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
"What is a model railroad?" is a dangerous philosophical question to ask us!
(MMRIP)

For many of us its a controllable microcosm of a world we wish existed, not a world that really exists.
And in that world we dream of, we find solutions of what could be, or perhaps should be.

And sharing that world with you lot is what makes it fun!
- M5
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 24 April 2022 20:58:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
A fantastic amount of very expensive fun. Also you get to make friends with some great people on our site from all over the world.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 25 April 2022 10:48:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
My friends like me when I go shopping in 2nd hand shops, they always say: I hope to see you soon.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Mr. Ron  
#12 Posted : 08 May 2022 03:23:57(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   

Kimball

A live steam track doesn't need scenery or structures. The live steam action provides all the interest.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Toosmall  
#13 Posted : 10 May 2022 00:52:46(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
A live steam track doesn't need scenery or structures. The live steam action provides all the interest.

It doesn't need it, but it does add to the atmosphere having trains running through the landscape.
10348_084151.jpg

http://www.hme.org.au/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall