Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BurritoJoe  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2022 00:44:08(UTC)
BurritoJoe

United States   
Hello all, I am used to dealing with LGB where there is a lot of Delrin used. I am now working on cleaning up and replacing wearable items on my Marklin HO that have been sitting in a case since I was a lot younger.

I have a broken piece that fell off the front boiler cover on my 3518 engine. (I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to be) but it is a plastic piece.

I wanted to glue it back on, but I wanted to confirm if anyone knows whether it is plastic or is it an Acetal plastic such as Delrin in which I'll need to get the proper adhesive for. to bond Delrin to Delrin or Delrin to a dissimilar material, in this case metal.

I don't want to be throwing glue on that just won't work in case it isn't typical plastic.

Thanks!
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2022 04:01:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: BurritoJoe Go to Quoted Post
Hello all, I am used to dealing with LGB where there is a lot of Delrin used. I am now working on cleaning up and replacing wearable items on my Marklin HO that have been sitting in a case since I was a lot younger.

I have a broken piece that fell off the front boiler cover on my 3518 engine. (I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to be) but it is a plastic piece.

I wanted to glue it back on, but I wanted to confirm if anyone knows whether it is plastic or is it an Acetal plastic such as Delrin in which I'll need to get the proper adhesive for. to bond Delrin to Delrin or Delrin to a dissimilar material, in this case metal.

I don't want to be throwing glue on that just won't work in case it isn't typical plastic.

Thanks!

Super glue will do the job

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline DTaylor91  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2022 21:42:30(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: BurritoJoe Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

Super glue will do the job

Yes, it'll be Delrin. If it is small, yes super glue will help keep it in place, but there will be no chemical bonding. Alternately, you can take a small pair of pliers and squeeze the pin/pins that hold it in place, just enough to make it slightly oval-shaped to increase the friction-fit. You can add a dot of super glue to be double sure.

I've been working with Delrin parts for years (not just in model railroading either). I've never found a cement that will work on it. If there is one, I'd be afraid to get it anywhere near a painted surface.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91