Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Normmeister  
#1 Posted : 02 May 2022 12:40:27(UTC)
Normmeister

I am currently working on my loco depot area where the turntable and engine shed, re-coaling and watering facilities etc are. I am thinking about having a crew barracks as well. I have in mind some sort of elevated structure, ideally a former railway carriage that has been converted to sleeping quarters, up on stilts of some kind.

I think I have seen models of something like that, but I have searched all the manufacturers' listings I can think of but did not find anything. Does anyone know of such ?

Thanks !
Norm.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2022 12:58:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Normmeister Go to Quoted Post
I am currently working on my loco depot area where the turntable and engine shed, re-coaling and watering facilities etc are. I am thinking about having a crew barracks as well. I have in mind some sort of elevated structure, ideally a former railway carriage that has been converted to sleeping quarters, up on stilts of some kind.

I think I have seen models of something like that, but I have searched all the manufacturers' listings I can think of but did not find anything. Does anyone know of such ?

Thanks !
Norm.

Marklin did one like that a few years back, that was labelled as a temporary signal cabin.

I'm not sure that a coach body used the way you envisage would be raised to that sort of height. If crew required a sleepover they would normally be allocated a room in a nearby barracks type building, but for your purposes I could envisage an old Thunderbox body or two at ground level.

Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 02 May 2022 13:52:12(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Yes, why would they bother with the added expense of raising a structure. I don't think "views for crews" can be ROI'd

Regards,
Roger
Offline Bogenschütze  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2022 16:16:40(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Normmeister Go to Quoted Post

Thanks !
Norm.

Perhaps you were thinking of something like this? However, I agree with the others that if it was just a bunkhouse for crew, it would be unlikely to be so elevated.

2022-05-02.png
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline scraigen  
#5 Posted : 02 May 2022 18:59:22(UTC)
scraigen

It’s your layout, your world, if you want raised old carriage as sleeping quarters why not! You could kit bash it from any carriage you like the look of.
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline Normmeister  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2022 01:53:45(UTC)
Normmeister

thanks guys for the helpful comments. I did seem to remember that Marklin did do an elevated Thunderbox structure at one stage, but in my searches I had been looking for crew quarters and did not realise it was a control centre.

So I looked for the Marklin one and found it is model 42355. I found one on Ebay.com so that is now on its way. With overseas mail the way it is (I am in Australia) it should be here in a couple of months.

I do realise that in real life crew barracks would be unlikely to be elevated, but I am pushed for space so it should fit in well. The model will need to be altered a little but having a metal one and Marklin as well appeals to me.

Norm.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Normmeister