Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fje  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2022 20:30:02(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, a friend of mine asked me to test a Märklin 37789 ICE3 and I found that as soon as I put current (digital, of course) in the tracks, it goes driving at High Speed (it is an HST, of course, but it is not supposed to do it if not instructed to do it Bored )

My diagnostic is that the decoder is bad, it seems to have a short circuit somewhere, because its behaviour is similar to having put an analogic train in a digital track.

The decoder it seems to have installed is a Märklin 6090x with dip switch for the 80 addresses and the two potentiometers to control inertia and maximum speed. It also has a couple of functions additionally to the lights, one for the interior light and the other for long distance head light.

I looked at several spare parts list files I do have, but I couldn't find any where the 37789 is, and the similar 3778x have decoders but I am not sure are equivalent because I cannot see on them the dip switch for the address.

So, would anyone have the spare list for the 37789 or does any one know which particular decoder it has implemented or which decoder could be installed on the 37789 taking into account its particular characteristics?

Thanks so much and kind regards

Javier
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2022 23:14:20(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
Hi, a friend of mine asked me to test a Märklin 37789 ICE3 and I found that as soon as I put current (digital, of course) in the tracks, it goes driving at High Speed (it is an HST, of course, but it is not supposed to do it if not instructed to do it Bored )

My diagnostic is that the decoder is bad, it seems to have a short circuit somewhere, because its behaviour is similar to having put an analogic train in a digital track.

The decoder it seems to have installed is a Märklin 6090x with dip switch for the 80 addresses and the two potentiometers to control inertia and maximum speed. It also has a couple of functions additionally to the lights, one for the interior light and the other for long distance head light.

I looked at several spare parts list files I do have, but I couldn't find any where the 37789 is, and the similar 3778x have decoders but I am not sure are equivalent because I cannot see on them the dip switch for the address.

So, would anyone have the spare list for the 37789 or does any one know which particular decoder it has implemented or which decoder could be installed on the 37789 taking into account its particular characteristics?

Thanks so much and kind regards

Javier

are all the address switches on the decoder set to off? That would put it into analogue only mode.

Offline fje  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2022 08:51:45(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, Alan, no, the switches are put defining the address 3 (factory default).

On the other hand I found some information that makes me feel that the decoder could be similar or even the same than the one of 37780 or 37783.

I also thought to test it in an analog circuit, but I am afraid of damage even more the decoder circuits.

A suggestion I got is that possibly the transistors at the motor output are damaged, but, then, why the lights doesn't light on?

Regards
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2022 15:05:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Javier
Apparently the transparent case ICE3 was released in 1999
I could not find a specific documentation (on the 1999 or 2000 main catalogue) but the 37781 released in 2000 has an FX decoder with 2 potentiometers ( Max speed and inertia)
Very similar to the C90 decoder but on a ICE-specific PCB for slider inversion, etc.
So the decoder should recognize the digital or analogue operation by itself.
Here is the user's manual https://static.maerklin....f520e7019f1434542464.pdf
So yes chances are the decoder has a problem
The best is to replace with an mLD3 and a slider inversion module
Just my opinion
Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2022 15:13:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Apparently the transparent case ICE3 was released in 1999
I could not find a specific documentation (on the 1999 or 2000 main catalogue)

IIRC it was one of the 140 Years of marklin special models.

I can't recall if it was in one of the new items brochures, or if it was a special model with its own flyer.

Offline fje  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2022 17:46:50(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Thanks for all your answers.

I will give a try with AC analog and will tell result to my friend. If he is OK with it I will return it to him, or I will offer to him the solution of change of the output transistors or maybe the full decoder with a mLD3. Which would be the slider inversion module? Any cue?

Thanks again

Javier
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2022 18:07:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
Which would be the slider inversion module? Any cue?

The marklin one is 60973. ESU also have one if you decide to use ESU decoders.

Offline fje  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2022 18:46:18(UTC)
fje

Spain   
OK, thanks so much.

Javier