Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Normmeister  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2022 09:42:44(UTC)
Normmeister

Not sure if this is the correct slot to ask about this.

I am having real problems with setting up the servos on this model. The servos are there to open and shut the doors.
The servos I am using are the 180726 recommended by Faller.

I have been trying to operate the servos using the ESU Switchpilot Servo driver unit.

Please note that I have already asked about this on the ESU forum, with no useful result, so I am trying here.

These faller servos will not work with the ESU unit. My set up is correct, because the ESU servos work fine, but I can not use those because they are physically too large, I HAVE to use the Faller ones, which are a "Micro Server".
The Faller servos work normally with a servo tester that I got from the local hobby shop, and they also work with a borrowed Faller 180725 Faller servo driver unit, but no response at all with the ESU servo driver modules.

I have tried altering the programming of the ESU servo driver, every possible setting that I can imagine. But no response at all for the Faller servos.

Any thoughts ?

Norm

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2022 12:02:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Norm

I used the Faller pitt for ashes (Ausschlackanlage)120242 with a servo motor (Faller I suppose) together with an ESU SwitchPilot 3 servo and it worked very fine.
Later, I purchased plenty of servo types on ebay for a ridiculously low price and all worked fine.
So it may simply be that your servo is "Kaput" (out of order or stuck).
I also found that the Faller support service is excellent and very helpful.
Once I called them because a "liberation coil" on my "Rollendelanstrasse" was burnt.
They sent me the coil at home without asking for my Credit card, trusting that I will pay later.
Faller are really working for the railroad fans to enjoy.
PS I use a lot servos for my car system (stop section or turnouts on bridges) and the ESU SwitchPilot 3 servo is great
Note: I am sure you know this: never try to move the arm of the servo by hand and better make the adjustments (locations, speed) before installing the servo on location (the shed)
Cheers
Jean
Offline Normmeister  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2022 07:24:19(UTC)
Normmeister

hello Jean

thank you for your helpful comments. I have been unable to make the Faller servos to work with the Switchpilot 3 that I have, so I followed your suggestion and looked on Ebay for some inexpensive other brand servos, they are now "in the mail" and I will try that out.

Oh and I love the videos you have made about your set up.

regards
Norm.
Offline Normmeister  
#4 Posted : 05 May 2022 09:19:19(UTC)
Normmeister

ok guys I follower Jean's suggestion and got some other brand servos on Ebay, they arrived yesterday and now installed. They were not exactly the same dimensions as the Faller ones, which of course the mounting in the Faller engine shed is dimensioned for. But with a bit of kit bashing I got them to fit.

As expected, unlike the Faller servos, which I found impossible to get to work with the ESU Switchpilot Servo 3, these new ones worked straight off. I really wanted to use the ESU device because it has 8 servo outputs. I have six stalls in my engine shed so I was able to do it all with just one ESU unit.

I know the Faller servos were not "faulty", because they work with a servo tester, or the Faller servo decoder unit. They must just be incompatible with the ESU Switchpilot Servo 3. I also tried the Switchpilot Servo 2, it would not work them either.

ThumpUp

Norm.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Normmeister
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2022 18:17:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Norm
The Faller motors are compatible with the ESU SwitchPilotServo 5. This is a standard and NEVER have I met a non-compatible servo.
The servos can be ordered in the size you want (almost too much choice).
You must select:
- the casing The most common is the 9G (force 9 gramms) with dimensions of : 23mmX 12.2mmX 29mm. Another type is the 2.5G 20 x 8,5 x 17
- the working angle: usually 90° but can be different (180°, 360°)
- the working voltage: can be 5 V but may be smaller or larger
- the female connector type

True I have some difficulty in finding super small servos
Here is an example in a loco tender for simulating coal depletion when a visit to the coaling station is needed
39008 Servo Hotte Tender.png (6,294kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
I must say that I received many times a different size so it is very easy to be confused
Colors are Black (-), Red (often +5V), Orange (digital signal PWM pulse-width modulation)
Cheers
Jean