Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline lgboro  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2022 14:35:01(UTC)
lgboro

United States   
I’ve recently re entered the model train scene after many years away and made the mistake of purchasing several Marklin Warbonnet F7 Era III Z scale units. Two locomotives off EBay and a ABA unit new stock from an authorized Marklin dealer so I do have a copy of the useless documentation the factory ships with US products. After an extensive search I have been unable to find any meaningful information on these units and it appears most parts are discontinued and/or out of stock, even if I could find a non existent parts list with part numbers in English. I went with Marklin as they were the oldest Z scale manufacturer and apparently I didn’t do enough research prior to selecting Marklin to weed out the Fanboys representation of these non factory supported locomotives and products. Are there other US trains out there that have decent products and provide actual documentation and parts available to maintain their products? I am currently so discusted with Marklin that I am considering just giving up on the idea of this hobby due to my experience with Marklin products and dumping my recent purchases and cut my losses. Sadly, I can’t recover the many hours stick building the town buildings and the houses for my planned rail scene. Thank goodness I haven’t build the many trees planned for this build. I don’t have words to describe my disdain for the Marklin Company and their total disregard for US customers.
Offline Mman  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2022 16:02:59(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
Considering that English is considered a ‘universal language’ (by some, at least) it is a bit too parochial of Märklin not to include it in parts lists. I had hoped that they would have kept up the four languages in their publications ie German, English, French and Dutch - once translated how much would it cost to print.
A big disappointment this year is the decision to produce the 50 years of Z book only in German.
As far as your F7s go what are you likely to need in the way of spares? In the normal course of events only carbon brushes (easily obtainable) need replacing.
What is bad is the discontinuation of replacement motors, I have several 3 pole motored locos that I would like to upgrade to 5 pole with the only possible option of returning the complete loco to Germany for a factory refit which would not be worth it.
As with many manufacturers Märklin is not the firm it was - economic necessity (aka greed?) has driven them to cheapen up the product and reduce the level of service - sadly.
ChrisG
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2022 16:35:50(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: lgboro Go to Quoted Post
I’ve recently re entered the model train scene after many years away and made the mistake of purchasing several Marklin Warbonnet F7 Era III Z scale units. Two locomotives off EBay and a ABA unit new stock from an authorized Marklin dealer so I do have a copy of the useless documentation the factory ships with US products. After an extensive search I have been unable to find any meaningful information on these units and it appears most parts are discontinued and/or out of stock, even if I could find a non existent parts list with part numbers in English. I went with Marklin as they were the oldest Z scale manufacturer and apparently I didn’t do enough research prior to selecting Marklin to weed out the Fanboys representation of these non factory supported locomotives and products. Are there other US trains out there that have decent products and provide actual documentation and parts available to maintain their products? I am currently so discusted with Marklin that I am considering just giving up on the idea of this hobby due to my experience with Marklin products and dumping my recent purchases and cut my losses. Sadly, I can’t recover the many hours stick building the town buildings and the houses for my planned rail scene. Thank goodness I haven’t build the many trees planned for this build. I don’t have words to describe my disdain for the Marklin Company and their total disregard for US customers.

I'm sure Frank will soon step in with plenty of good advice, but there are several non-Marklin options available (AZL, for example) if you're interested in US models, so I see no need for you to throw away what you've built so far. I'll leave it to you as to whether you keep your Marklin purchases.

From what I can make out, there's not a lot of money to be made from the model railway business (I think Marklin were close to bankruptcy a few years ago) so I feel they can be cut some slack regarding their lack of support in English. Also to throw into the mix is the fact that railway modelling is much more popular in Germany so they have a comparatively large local customer base. It's not unusual in Germany for department stores to have a model railway department. I have to agree that Marklin's customer service is not very communicative, but then I find most English speaking companies' aren't either. The occasions I've sent items back for repair I've been very happy with the service.

All that is quite academic and it's not my place to defend Marklin's service and strategy, but you have US based options and, from what I've seen, their quality is at least on a par with Marklin's.

All the best

Chris
Offline parakiet  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2022 16:50:19(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Marklin introduced the F7 in 1984. We are 2022 now.
Expecting top of the line feedback/advice for a product manufactured in the '80s is borderline crazy. At best you could contact the seller, I wouldn't get my hopes up since you got it from eBay.

If you expect after sale service: buy new stuff or buy from sellers who provide that kind of service.

There is a ton of information on the internet, being active on fora and youtube will get you what you need.

Threatening "considering just giving up on the idea of this hobby due to my experience with Marklin products and dumping my recent purchases and cut my losses." is perhaps the better way if you're not ready to meet a learning curve.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Offline lgboro  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2022 17:06:01(UTC)
lgboro

United States   
I did buy from AJCKIDS whom I believe would absolutely make these issue go away if they got any support from the manufacturer. This is brand new stock that came in with damaged couplers and I guess it would be called trucks (the unit that houses the wheels) but I don’t know because Marklin doesn’t support any market outside of Germany. The only think I can see that AJCKIDS does wrong is continue to sell Marklin products, they are an awesome company. Even my FleaBay purchases were from authorized Marklin dealers so I don’t believe it is my fault that Marklin could care less about Non-German customers that is assuming the offer support at home.

It is not my intention to start a flame thread or to ruffle any parakeet feathers. I’m am 72 and have probably have participated in more skilled actives than most folks. I could and have designed and built electronics much more complicated than a Z scale Marklin locomotive. I can assure your concern for my skills and abilities are as un welcomed as they are misguided. I don’t think a useable parts list and available parts is too much to ask of any company.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2022 18:27:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I...but I don’t know because Marklin doesn’t support any market outside of Germany. ...Even my FleaBay purchases were from authorized Marklin dealers so I don’t believe it is my fault that Marklin could care less about Non-German customers that is assuming the offer support at home.

Perhaps you should be looking at it another way.

I was quoted some figures around 30-35 years ago now, and I don't believe they will have changed that much.

of the total factory output from marklin, 75% is sold in Germany.
of the remaining 25%, 75% (i.e. 18.75% of production) is sold in Switzerland (this is why there are so many Swiss models in all of marklins product ranges).

The remaining 6.25% of production is sold in the rest of the world - and I would guess that other European countries would be getting most of this, say around 5% of production. So USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc get to share in (say) 1.25% of total production.

Now where would you put your economic resources if you were running Marklin? It certainly wouldn't be in doing lots of translation work on limited support documentation.

Yes, I agree the spares situation is rather parlous, but at some point, as production designs change for economic reasons, spares will run out, and it is not economic to make more for old designs.

Now maybe the dealer you bought the item from will be able to do you a deal, on showing them photographic evidence, they may even be able to source a part that can be wrangled to do the job. But that is up to the dealer and you to sort out.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2022 18:32:32(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
That is some serious venting! First things first, this is a forum were we try to help each other, show off our cool toys and painstaking labor, and "hang out" together. I think "fanboys" is not the right term, we are a support group. What we love is Z scale! That pretty much means Marklin, AZL, or MTL locos. This scale comes with built in challenges due to its small size and also in no small part that the majority of Z scale first timers purchase really old locos that are not in good running condition. That your new ABA set from Marklin is not right is disheartening, that is not expected but sadly sometimes the case. Check out Z Scale Hobo's store, he will run locos and even produce short video clips, for a fee, to ensure that your new purchase will run when you get it. That is a real solution to the problem. You are not alone in your frustrations.
So, we need specifics here to be helpful. But I'll pass on my advice FWIW.
The new ABA set should go back to AJCKIDS, they are a fantastic shop, they will fix it or send it back to Marklin to be repaired. Prepare yourself for a looong wait, just in case. This is a thing about Marklin, they are "old school" in that they prefer to have their dealers involved. The company does not really deal directly with its customers. Trying to deal with them directly will just lead to frustration and believe me, or search my posts, but they often seem like they do not care about us. But we suck it up because at the end of they day we are happy they continue to produce Z scale of trains.
Your two F7 purchases are another kettle of fish. If they are 1984 vintage they could have a host of issues. Maybe HOS (hardened oil syndrome), worn or broken brushes, corrosion of electrical parts, etc. Note that Marklin did go bankrupt since those locos were made and I do not think they feel all that responsible for products produced back then. You will have to look elsewhere for service or parts or even documentaion. And here we are, forums on the internet or (again) shops that do repairs. So it's decision time, do you want to become a loco mechanic or not? If you want to fix them yourself we need information. If you do not then either find a shop who does or sell them. Maybe here I can take a guess at what you are doing and be helpful, you cannot mix 3 pole, 5 pole, or modern can (bell shaped armature) motors into consists. They have different power (not voltage) requirements and running characteristics.
I made a personal choice when I started this hobby. I buy AZL or MTL locos and rolling stock for my North American trains, and I convert them to DCC operation. I visit the AZL and Trainboard forums for those brands. They have knuckle couplers and traction tires and you can build long prototypical trains. I buy Marklin for my European trains, and I leave them DC. They have fish hook couplers and steel wheels and look wonderful on even very compact layouts. I talk about them here mostly.
Finally, the fun stuff! My new AZL F7 Super Chief Set is exceptional! I think you would like it :) But note that even those have given some headaches from rough handling in transit, AZL produced a video to follow if your engines don't run out of the box. It's a Z thing... But unless you have a great room for your layout Z Scale is perfect for something really long and impressive like the Super Chief, an eight foot layout with 270mm curves can look convincing with that train.
Glad to have you here BTW. We are a small community because not everyone is willing to put up with the demands of Z scale. Not everyone has the patience to deal with Marklin either ;) This outpouring of advice and encouragement is our way of saying that we think the challenges are worth it.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2022 19:55:46(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
I did buy from AJCKIDS whom I believe would absolutely make these issue go away if they got any support from the manufacturer. This is brand new stock that came in with damaged couplers and I guess it would be called trucks (the unit that houses the wheels) but I don’t know because Marklin doesn’t support any market outside of Germany. The only think I can see that AJCKIDS does wrong is continue to sell Marklin products, they are an awesome company. Even my FleaBay purchases were from authorized Marklin dealers so I don’t believe it is my fault that Marklin could care less about Non-German customers that is assuming the offer support at home.

It is not my intention to start a flame thread or to ruffle any parakeet feathers. I’m am 72 and have probably have participated in more skilled actives than most folks. I could and have designed and built electronics much more complicated than a Z scale Marklin locomotive. I can assure your concern for my skills and abilities are as un welcomed as they are misguided. I don’t think a useable parts list and available parts is too much to ask of any company.

Being in the UK, there's nothing I can comment about AJCKIDS or their relationship with Marklin.

What I will say, though, is that Z gauge brings joy and frustration in roughly equal measures. I always liken it to owning an Alfa Romeo and the admiring glances as you drive past and the pitying looks as you're waiting for recovery!

I think most of us here have come to terms with that dilemma but I do understand the frustration for newcomers to the scale and felt exactly the same myself when I started in the scale.

Hope you manage to resolve the issues with your new purchases to your satisfaction - I think it's absolutely reasonable to expect that much.

All the best

Chris
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2022 21:48:45(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello hope all is well.

I have read many good comments about this topic today and I have not been able to come up with a clear suggestion for the problems you have experienced with your new z models.

At the risk of being labeled a Marklin fan, I have to admit I am one. I can tell you, the only difference between you and me is that I have perhaps been at it two weeks longer than you. I can assure you, we have all had frustrations with our Z hobby at one time or another. Perhaps with greater frequency when we first acted on our interest.

I suggest not giving up yet. It sounds like you have more than a few investments to consider.

Regarding the lack of language support for the z scale, it is not something specific to the scale. The insert included with the purchase has always been the way you find it today. Very few words, and the use of simple diagrams to provide enough information for you to get started. Now the newer releases come with the simple diagrams and another page with the model exploded to show all the parts along with the spare parts available. I don’t think the parts are necessarily labeled in English, but what is most important is the number assigned to the part. If a certain part is needed, just use this part number to purchase or search for a replacement. If your model has broken couplers, it may be possible you to find a replacement on-line, but perhaps not directly from Marklin. I believe this model has a special permanent coupling feature which may make you search a bit more difficult. One thing positive about Marklin is that there are a number of parts which they carry over to new models if they can. Older parts must be purchased from others, not Marklin, that is if you can find them. Most secondary market sellers can help with this. These sellers are very good at what they do, and I am certain you will find what you need, but give it some time. Www.zscalehobo.com is a stateside seller who could help. He is also one of the few vendors which offer sales and service for the z scale hobby.

If a purchase was made from AJCkids I believe they will take care of the problem, either by refund, warranty claims or assistance with replacement parts. I have never had any disappointments from them in my over 20 years experience. An EBay purchase is another matter and at most, you may be able to get a refund. Other support many not be possible. I always think of EBay “Z” purchases as a crap shoot, you never know what you will actually get despite all the photos and descriptions provided in the listing. Anyway, EBay should protect your purchase, but will not help you with your frustrations and delays to your timetable.

It sounds like you may be able to work with these locomotives and perform some DIY. It is not like working on a watch. It is a bit of a learning curve but successful repairs can be very rewarding too.

This is a best time to get into the hobby. With the internet and sites like this one, you will discover you are not alone. We are a friendly bunch and willing to help anyone.

Best wishes, let us know your outcome or let us know if we can help you in some way.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2022 23:36:19(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I have a Wifey who speaks German but when I buy Marklin there is a conundrum as it is prudent to be discreet on how much I spend on trains!

I bought 3 ICE sets so I have spares. One set is very tired, but it has lasted a lot longer than 2 cars that I owned for 18 years each. They were getting difficult to get parts so bought a new car. Try getting full documentation for your car!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 14 February 2022 02:51:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   

two comments:

1- they have excellent support in english. USA-based for people who buy from USA dealers, with telephone hours throughout the week. I'm guessing you did not try them...
2- Why waste all of our time with this? Everyone here would probably have been happy to help translate, find parts, or connect dots. But you seem to be inconsolable. Start a thread when you have something productive to say/ask/work through.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline zscalehobo  
#12 Posted : 14 February 2022 03:29:57(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post

A big disappointment this year is the decision to produce the 50 years of Z book only in German.
ChrisG

07771 book will be printed in English.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline zscalehobo  
#13 Posted : 14 February 2022 03:35:16(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Not sure what's going on here but F7 trucks are easily available - dummy ones are tough to come by but can be made with actual trucks... Märklin USA has great support as pertains to warranty.

Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 14 February 2022 05:21:52(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Chris (Poor Skeleton) remember when we had all that trouble with our 88889's due to their plastic bottom plates being warped? My dealer for that loco was AJCKids. A double return and ultimately a positive ending. First time around they gave me another loco from their stock and the second time around it was a repaired loco from Marklin. Really a pleasure to deal with. It seemed to take forever but ended well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline zoooctan  
#15 Posted : 14 February 2022 07:20:13(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post

ChrisG

Hi there, this is indeed a scoop! Are we sure about this since all the websites and links I've found all indicate that it would be in German text (including Marklin's website)?

Thanks
Gavin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 14 February 2022 09:13:31(UTC)
H0

ChrisG

I would expect to see a different ref. number for the English edition.

From the product database: "164 page edition in German for the anniversary 50 Years of Mini-Club / Z Gauge, etc."
That does not sound like it will be a multi-language edition either.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 14 February 2022 12:19:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post

ChrisG

Hi there, this is indeed a scoop! Are we sure about this since all the websites and links I've found all indicate that it would be in German text (including Marklin's website)?

Thanks
Gavin

Well, I did suggest some time ago over here that it would be announced in the summer or fall NI.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline zscalehobo  
#18 Posted : 14 February 2022 12:22:49(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
RE: 07771

Per the US export manager (Janko Franke) in a dealer zoom call on Friday Feb 4 2022, he announced that there was enough demand to run an English version of 07771. Contact your dealers and ask for an English version. Already getting tons of orders for English version and quite a few want German as well - the more interest now, the better ... Märklin is listening.

EDIT March 28, 2022: early morning email from Marklin USA today mentioned that an English version of 07771 IS NOT HAPPENING. Likely not enough pre-orders in spite of my efforts to get them. Sorry for the information I posted not coming through but it was clearly communicated that it was happening and today's news hit me hard with reality. Intention was to drum up interest and I guess Märklin didn't feel it was adequate level of interest. My sincere apologies.

Edited by user 28 March 2022 16:12:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#19 Posted : 14 February 2022 21:51:22(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Chris (Poor Skeleton) remember when we had all that trouble with our 88889's due to their plastic bottom plates being warped? My dealer for that loco was AJCKids. A double return and ultimately a positive ending. First time around they gave me another loco from their stock and the second time around it was a repaired loco from Marklin. Really a pleasure to deal with. It seemed to take forever but ended well.

Ah yes, i remember that very clearly! Mine was back with me months before you got yours back! Hadn't remembered that you'd bought yours through AJCKids, though.

That is an interesting case in point, actually because I contacted Marklin Service in Germany and they replied in English (albeit not great English, but much better than my German) and agreed to repair the loco in Germany rather than simply have my retailer replace it. The loco runs fine now. Still could't pull the skin off a rice pudding, though! Not that that stopped me from also getting an 88931 which I think is even more handsome, but just as weedy!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline husafreak  
#20 Posted : 15 February 2022 08:27:16(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I don’t think I mentioned the dealer at the time but they did right by me.
Offline lgboro  
#21 Posted : 15 February 2022 13:39:51(UTC)
lgboro

United States   
I ordered another ABA set in a different paint scheme from AJCKIDS to have ample parts into the future. I have planned some grades on my mountain layout and will be running 2 AA locomotives on both of my tracks. Since I am to be running 2 AA locomotives on 2 separate tracks I needed 4 locos and feel more secure with a stock of hard to impossible to find parts into the future. One loco’s has a 3 pole engine so I believe I needed swap it with another 5 pole engine to run better. These sets were released by Marklin in 2011 and 2014 not in the 80’s as a few members have stated and I was frustrated by the lack of part support on fairly recent new stock. I still think that Marklin USA could have responded to my message on their own contact us button on their website, but it really does’t matter at this point :). I ran a large Lionel Warbonnet O scale that covered most my attic from the mid 1950’s until the late 70’s so I have been awol for a long while from trains but not planes, rc cars and boats. I previously stripped and cleaned the 2 locos I first bought and they are running perfect like new at this time. AJCKIDS is awesome to work as previously stated as was Z Scale Hobo, MicroMundoMacro and G Tarver on EBay all have worked to supply my needs to the extent possible. At any rate, I resolved my issue with the purchase of a new donor and or spare ABA set that should take care of my parts needs for some time to come. My build is in an antique glass front bookcase like many lawyers use here in the states that I extended the rear to allow me a 33” x 19” layout. My build is going slow as all my buildings have been built using basswood stock with hand carved details much like I used to carve ducks and other wildlife and trees will be hand made as I haven’t found commercial ones to look very realistic. Thanks for most of the feedback as you guys have recentered my desires to complete what should be and enjoyable and quality build in the not so distant future. Hope I haven’t caused to much of a flame thread and appreciate all the feedback.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by lgboro
Offline zoooctan  
#22 Posted : 15 February 2022 14:19:18(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
I ordered another ABA set in a different paint scheme from AJCKIDS to have ample parts into the future. I have planned some grades on my mountain layout and will be running 2 AA locomotives on both of my tracks.

Hi there I just wanted to say to make sure you test and measure the grades for your layout. I remember my very first layout a long time ago had ambitious grades and I was really frustrated with the (lack) of pulling power on many of Marklin's locomotives. Just wanted to try to save you some grief there!

Offline lgboro  
#23 Posted : 15 February 2022 14:29:13(UTC)
lgboro

United States   
Thanks zoooctan, I have on a counter (enough to need to clean my locomotives). With a tight space layout my grades are partially in curves but I am finding it is doeable just with extra planning and testing. I’m still considering a spur into town but not sure until I get my build further along.
Offline veloboldie  
#24 Posted : 16 February 2022 20:56:51(UTC)
veloboldie

United States   
I have locomotives both repaired by Marklin in Goeppingen, Germany and AJCKids in TX. The first repair took longer, as the repair was done in their factory. Both were successful. I have been fortunate to acquire Marklin books about Z scale in English on e-bay and as a Marklin club member, get an English language version of the annual products catalogue. In the past three years, I bought Marklin locomotives or train sets on e-bay from early 1980s and 1990s, as they remind me of my childhood in Germany.

It's buyer beware folks, when you buy from ebay. I had some locos that needed TLC and I sent them to AJCKids for a tune up. One should expect that locos from 1980s will run loud, be little jerky at first and replacement parts may no longer be available from Marklin. I also travel to Germany, once a year, so I stock up on Marklin, Noch, Faller and Kibri stuff that one can't get here, plus I use several reputable Marklin dealers in Germany to send me products, tax free.

Finally, here is an original Marklin 8871 ICE train, I got from ebay. It was a doozy to get it running, but after cleaning and oiling it finally started running.

Marklin_8871_ICE_train (2).jpg
Offline lgboro  
#25 Posted : 16 February 2022 21:19:23(UTC)
lgboro

United States   
My issue was a damaged truck on the new 2011 released Marklin ABA set. My older locomotives I took completely apart cleaned and serviced myself an they are running as new currently. I just ordered another new 2014 release of the same diesel locomotives ABA set so I have some donor parts as needed. Marklin USA has yet to respond to an inquiry Now dating back a week. If they released a unit in 2014 I don’t think it is unreasonable to be able to buy parts for a unit that was likely produced for at least a year so close to 2016. My most recent two ABA sets I purchased from AJCKIDS who I have no doubt when an if they locate the damaged parts on the B truck will sent them out so I can repair the new damaged unit. This thread has kind of taken a life of its own and is like beating a dead horse at this point.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by lgboro
Offline zoooctan  
#26 Posted : 18 February 2022 09:06:01(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
My issue was a damaged truck on the new 2011 released Marklin ABA set. My older locomotives I took completely apart cleaned and serviced myself an they are running as new currently. I just ordered another new 2014 release of the same diesel locomotives ABA set so I have some donor parts as needed. Marklin USA has yet to respond to an inquiry Now dating back a week. If they released a unit in 2014 I don’t think it is unreasonable to be able to buy parts for a unit that was likely produced for at least a year so close to 2016. My most recent two ABA sets I purchased from AJCKIDS who I have no doubt when an if they locate the damaged parts on the B truck will sent them out so I can repair the new damaged unit. This thread has kind of taken a life of its own and is like beating a dead horse at this point.

Hi there I actually wanted to ask you this in the beginning when you made your first post. I'm curious and I hope you don't mind me asking but given the challenges and frustrations you initially had, I'm wondering why you decided on Marklin Z scale to begin with - especially since you model an American landscape.

Of course I love Marklin and have it almost exclusively but I do know that the support and feedback on AZL has been very very good - and they seem to have a much wider range of American fleet and rolling stock. Not to mention the use of couplers which are often deemed to be more realistic.

For me, I use Marklin because I like European layouts. I actually really love old-time American steam as well...which is why I have modules focused solely on "old America" where I run Marklin's brass 4-6-0.

I'm just curious.
To be honest...if I had the space and lived in the US...I'd probably be doing another scale ...something HNO30! I love the US Narrow Gauge and Logging Railroads!
Offline husafreak  
#27 Posted : 18 February 2022 16:56:11(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Oh, we will beat a dead horse until it turns to glue around here! In case you didn’t know there are transition cars with different couplers available that will allow you to use non Marklin cars with your locos.
Check out zscalemonster website for a truly vast array of cars and loads.
Offline husafreak  
#28 Posted : 28 March 2022 17:24:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Thanks for the edit Frank! Surprising though, for a company that relies so heavily on beautiful print advertising and of course their magazines and videos, to refuse a book. I would have thought simply printing a second run in English would not cost much more. But I don’t know…
Offline Mman  
#29 Posted : 28 March 2022 18:56:02(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I’m surprised that they didn’t make it dual language in the first place thereby increasing the potential buyer numbers, many can understand English but not German.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 28 March 2022 20:56:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the edit Frank! Surprising though, for a company that relies so heavily on beautiful print advertising and of course their magazines and videos, to refuse a book. I would have thought simply printing a second run in English would not cost much more. But I don’t know…

The major cost is in the translation, not the printing.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline phils2um  
#31 Posted : 29 March 2022 06:56:22(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The major cost is in the translation, not the printing.

Maybe but I can't see it. Google Translate or other web based translators work quite well. It just takes a model train knowledgable person to review and edit the sometime tortured result.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline parakiet  
#32 Posted : 29 March 2022 20:14:46(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Just trowing it out here:

How much german support does Peco, Hornby or AZL give?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 29 March 2022 23:10:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
Just trowing it out here:

How much german support does Peco, Hornby or AZL give?

Peco - I don't know, although they do sell in Europe. (Modellbahn-Kramm currently are specialling off Peco track, including a Deutsche catalogue, so seems they do provide German support, but no more than Marklin does).
Hornby - has a number of subsidary companies they have bought, Electrotren, Rivarossi, and several others, through which they provide various products in various languages.
AZL - i don't know this company.

Offline Ausipeet  
#34 Posted : 30 March 2022 03:14:30(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Your concern with the lack of English at certain German situations will unfortunately not improve if you ever decide to do the Marklin weekend when it is on next. i went to this in 2017 and was so annoyed with the lack of English speaking people at not only the Marklin weekend but also at all the German railway stations. at on i was directed to the wrong platform by one such person pertaining to be a train conductor or such but the train he sent me to went way in the wrong direction, and it was only after about an hour on this train that i figured out it was going in the wrong direction. took me three hours to get back to the Stuttgart main station there to catch my proper train arriving at my scheduled destination some five hours late very disappointing with the language barrier but i still had a great time at the Marklin weekend.

Really Really enjoyed the beer and sausage stand at the old Marklin show room that was one of my highlights of that weekend and in honesty i had no idea how strong full strength beer was LOL two tankards and i was staggering.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline husafreak  
#35 Posted : 30 March 2022 19:00:15(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Offline husafreak  
#36 Posted : 30 March 2022 19:05:17(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
"AZL - i don't know this company." kiwiAlan

Ah, really? "American Z Lines" You should check them out if just for fun. They are a very active company for Z scale here in the US and their forum is great for a lot of things even beside AZL products, lots to see there.

Offline husafreak  
#37 Posted : 30 March 2022 19:08:01(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I would also like to say that I never "expect" any foreign company to provide English translations for me. But if they do and if they have in the past then I start to have some "expectations" ;)
Offline parakiet  
#38 Posted : 30 March 2022 20:28:09(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
the lack of English speaking people at not only the Marklin weekend but also at all the German railway stations. at on i was directed to the wrong platform by one such person pertaining to be a train conductor or such but the train he sent me to went way in the wrong direction, and it was only after about an hour on this train that i figured out it was going in the wrong direction. took me three hours to get back to the Stuttgart main station there to catch my proper train arriving at my scheduled destination some five hours late very disappointing with the language barrier but i still had a great time at the Marklin weekend.

Well that's typical for "a big country" in Europe, or perhaps worldwide.

Once a language is big enough they expect others to speak their language. When people start to travel they will end up in situations where others will not even try to speak their language.

You have to same situation in France, with French :)
Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 31 March 2022 09:16:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
the lack of English speaking people at not only the Marklin weekend but also at all the German railway stations. at on i was directed to the wrong platform by one such person pertaining to be a train conductor or such but the train he sent me to went way in the wrong direction, and it was only after about an hour on this train that i figured out it was going in the wrong direction. took me three hours to get back to the Stuttgart main station there to catch my proper train arriving at my scheduled destination some five hours late very disappointing with the language barrier but i still had a great time at the Marklin weekend.

Well that's typical for "a big country" in Europe, or perhaps worldwide.
Is it?
Many Germans learn English at school, but some are unwilling to practise.
It could be that Germans in the Schwabian area around Göppingen are more unwilling to practise.Wink
And it also depends on how you address people.

My experience is that English works quite well in Italy or Greece and even in France.
I was able to help a few English speaking persons in Germany.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline danmarklinman  
#40 Posted : 31 March 2022 11:21:53(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Can you tell us what is actually wrong with your locos? They were always easy to take apart in the past. Maybe I can help? Cheers Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan