Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2022 08:44:52(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello All,

I haven't posted much in the last two years, but I have been reading posts off and on, especially when searching for information. The thought occurred to me that we could host live events to present information, screen sharing, and voice chat to help each with more detailed problems that might be difficult elsewhere.

So I would love to have your feedback on using Discord as place for English speaking Marklinists to connect IRL in text and with voice chat, as a complementary location to create community and set up events from time to time. I have found this to be wonderful platform to communicate informally with family and friends in other groups I am involved with. I have also found it far more private than facebook and allows for far better community dynamics than most of those platforms.

My first post there indicates that it is only a complement to this forum as a place to chat:

"...Its a *Marklin and European Model Train Enthusiasts* Discord server, not to duplicate existing Forums elsewhere but only to add to them by giving the chance for group chats about issues and posting of immediate video or real-time chatting, live steaming or in voice chat. Any thoughts or contributions are welcome! ..."

If anyone is interested and already used Discord here is the invitation link:
It can only be used 100 times until replaced.
https://discord.gg/yQC2UvmZr6

Some of you may find this useful.

Cheers,
Mark Five

Edited by user 21 March 2022 18:23:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2022 09:57:20(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
One thing I would love to have an event planned for would be a session on setting up and implementing Roc-rail and its basics. Or just seeing how any of you use your Roc-rail setup by doing a screen-share, which is pretty simple to do with Discord.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2022 10:09:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I am not a fan of Discord.

Have a read of this -> https://cybernews.com/pr...ips-that-you-should-use/
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2022 11:10:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
So I would love to have your feedback on using Discord as place for English speaking Marklinists to connect IRL in text and with voice chat, as a complementary location to create community and set up events from time to time.
It's always the wee hours of the night somewhere in the world.
A time that suits Americans and people down-under will find Europeans fast asleep.
A time that suits OZ/NZ and Europeans will find Americans fast asleep.
I don't think it is practical.

And many non-native English speakers are more comfortable with writing that with talking.

Discord, or Zoom, or Microsoft Teams or whatever: There are many chat solutions.

But I think any such meeting will rather attract people from a nearby time zone.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2022 11:20:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I am not a fan of Discord.

Thanks for your feedback XXUP.
I suppose its not far from any online platform these days, when its free we become the product and they collect user data. Its not perfect for sure, but if using it as a public platform to stream and share say a Roc-Rail screen then I am ok with that. They seem to have addressed some of those issues, and when people misuse any platform of that size for nefarious purposes, then its somewhat understandable thats when authorities start asking for records, much as they do with facebook.

So for public posts, which is basically what we do on the forum, its all public and data collection isnt a concern to me personally. I have found that Discord still is an excellent way to share some of that information in real time, as in a streaming broadcast to a select group of people. Granted your alert to the caveat is warranted if people use PMs. Some discord server groups discourage the use of PMs altogether. However, I would leave that up to the discretion of the each user.

I find it far more user friendly than Twitch, but Twitch streaming seems to be more reliable for broadcasting. Some Discord users use Twitch in tandem with voice chat and that functions quite well.

- Mark Five
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2022 11:27:53(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
.... I think any such meeting will rather attract people from a nearby time zone.

It surely would be another way of interacting and working around time zone issues. Its not like swapping out "daylight savings" as US plans will solve that Laugh And I agree and do like that posts on the Forum and having time to reflect.

Talking to people directly could be a whole other way of relating. On other groups I am in just a handful of guys out of the larger group do any chatting, but they do get down to business and work out programming and gaming issues that need getting done by easily sharing screens.

I would still be up for a Roc-Rail seminar/share/informal jam session if there were guys up to it.
Anyone who wants to give it a go, the link is there and the server has already had a basic set up.

- Mark

Server invite link
https://discord.gg/yQC2UvmZr6
Offline bgemski  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2022 14:12:51(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Cool as it sounds I think it would be hard due to time zones and language barriers. However, maybe a quarterly or monthly discord meeting for an area if that is possible? I haven't used discord so I'm not sure if my suggestion would work. Certainly worth looking into I think.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2022 18:36:26(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bgemski Go to Quoted Post
.... a quarterly or monthly discord meeting for an area if that is possible? I haven't used discord so I'm not sure if my suggestion would work. Certainly worth looking into I think.

I use Discord everyday to talk to my teen at university and another informal work group that involves media promotion and programming. The one thing I like about it is its flexibility. I see the Forum as fabulous and an irreplacable archive for searching well documented topics and feedback from experienced users, however, to have immediate IRL text chat, voice chat, screen-share, or optional video chat, live-stream discussions, I've found it my preferred platform for these few social/work groups.

You can use discord to curate information in certain channels but its not really meant to be a permanent archive imho, its more for on-the-fly work through of ideas. The various channels are usually arranged topically, so any topic we would want to discuss could be located in a sub thread, whatever anyone is working on at the time.

If you want to give it a try, let me know when we can chat and see its functionality.

Mark
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2022 18:40:26(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
But I think any such meeting will rather attract people from a nearby time zone.

Yes, I think it would be great to connect more with other guys in Canada personally.

The other thing I think would be great is to attract younger people interested in the tech side of Marklin MMR since Discord is enormously popular within the gaming and tech community, especially younger people.
Offline RC1  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2024 13:25:01(UTC)
RC1

Belgium   
I for one am a fan of Discord. Been using it for years for one of my other hobbies both for voice chat and "permanent" information in wel structured threads.
Granted a good dedicated forum does the job too.
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2024 15:39:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
This forum has provided great information for many years and I dont see any need to look elsewhere. As for difficulty using the software from various different providers why not go to their forum for information which you wouold expect they would provide.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Vinedusk  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2024 20:57:11(UTC)
Vinedusk

Australia   
I started using Discord for one of my other hobbies. It's a good modern system for live interaction.

Discord then updated their Terms of Service, with some aspects that I didn't agree with. So I was forced to decide between accepting a condition that I didn't agree with, or disengage from using it as a communication tool.

My choice is irrelevant for this point, so is the fact that many online sites update their Terms Of Service regularly. It's about the frustration that comes with that choice.

Good luck with it!