Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2022 03:47:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Review of 48937 Box car

UserPostedImage

I opened the box for the recently released Märklin #48937 Schwechater Bier car and was impressed by the quality of the packaging, but also the quality of the car.
Time to inspect my new purchases thoroughly is often wanting, and some of the finer points of the model escapes me.
The packaging takes care of a brake handle detail by having an opening at one end.
It is quite usual for me then to get it wrong on re-packaging!! Easily fixed.

Anyway my new car firstly got shunted into a siding so I had time to take a good look.
I noted the the open stairs and platform at one end, which might usually be supplied with a brakemans'cabin.
In this model the brake is activated by a brake handle noticeable above the car roof.
This is one of the celebrated German G type closed vans with flat roof, which were built in thousands to a standard overall design from about 1900.
This car represents an Austrian variation running on ÖBB about 1960. (A paint or lube plate seems to indicate 02 62).
I think the car would have been the same back to era II, so I will run it with both eras II and III trains.
The car number is 560 051 with a P following, indicating that it is a privately owned car used exclusively by the owner.
It is marked as home base Schwechat to which station it must always be returned as soon as it has completed its outward journey.

This model makes a nice variation in a fleet of insulated cars.
Most G type cars were built with single board walls.
The sides and ends of many insulated cars were built with tightly packed straw between the exterior and additional interior wall boards to act as insulation.
It comes with tight fitting hinged doors (not sliding as in most G type cars), sometimes called plug doors.

The model mechanical details are similar to many G cars produced by Märklin for eras I, II, and III.
The axle ends run in metal bearings.
Many models simply run the axles in plastic, which is fine, but the metal bearings give the model a solid feel and probably sound better.
The car is equipped with kinematic couplings housed in the NEM362 box.

The same body moulding is used in other Märklin models that I know about.
One is the #48770 Kuhltransit car without any end braking facility (2004-2006).
The #48810 set included a Reichelbräu bier car with the same body mould without end braking facility (2008).
Then the #48780 NS Orhanjeboom bier car with the same ladders and brake platform as 48937 (2018-2020).
Next the #48931 NS Fyffes banana car with a brakemans cabin (2018-2020).

Also the following Trix models use the body mould - in set 24319-02 (2006) and single model 24032 (2005).

Overall the car has a solid feel about it, runs smoothly and will enhance any freight train for the later period of era II, or in era III.

When I see how Märklin can vary their range of models, some in small ways to entice the modeller to purchase, it makes me realise the depth of experience that company has.
This may only be a simple box car model, but at Göppingen and other plants the employee efforts are the result of so much history.
Their models through to locomotives and gauge 1 indicate a wealth of experience, and a culture of creativity, innovation and ability of which I am in awe.
Well might they advertise "Technische Erfahrung" which to me translates literally "a technical journey".

Märklin have plenty of quality competition but their offerings have certainly allowed me to enjoy model trains to their fullest extent.

Kimball

Edited by user 23 February 2022 22:41:46(UTC)  | Reason: re-arranged the text for clarity

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow