Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2022 04:54:06(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I was watching some prototype videos of European trains and noticed the following: Engines running with the forward pantograph raised: Engines running with the rear pantograph raised and engines running with both front and rear pantographs raised. Is there a rule as to which pantograph to use? The only thing I know is engines running with the front pantograph is not good practice because if the pantograph should get snagged and ripped off, it could also rip off the rear pantograph and you would be left with no pantograph.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Online kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2022 08:32:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Ron,

In the early days of electric engines after about 1900, it was important to have two separate pantographs raised at all times.
This is because if one pantograph bridge (wiper) was momentarily disconnected from the overhead wire for any reason (possibly jumping or bounce) the second bridge would continue the current draw.
I don't know how important this was, but it may have something to do with sudden disconnection (or sudden reconnection) of power damaging the motor windings.

This practice continued until the 1950s, and then the pantograph design was changed to provide two contact bridges on the ONE pantograph.
The bridges are about 30cm apart, and apparently this is enough distance to ensure continuous contact.
No doubt these were put into practice after exhaustive tests.
You will note that on Märklin models of early engines each pantograph has only one bridge (wiper).
Whereas the models of engines produced since the 1950s have two bridges (wipers) on each pantograph.

So modern engines normally run with only one pantagraph raised, leaving the second as a spare which can be useful.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Unholz  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2022 08:50:25(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Is there a rule as to which pantograph to use?

Yes, there are many such rules, but they differ from railway to railway and are also not identical for all types of trains and their loads. And some of the rules also contradict each other. Wink

For instance, there is a rule that when a cargo train carries factory-new automobiles, then the rear pantograph of the locomotive should not be raised because flying "rub off" from the pantograph's wiper could damage the load on the first wagon.

Furthermore, in case of a double-heading (two pulling locomotives), the pantographs should be raised as far apart as possible (example: front pantograph on the leading locomotive, rear pantograph on the second one) to minimize bouncing and thus interruption of contact.

A third practice is often applied to cargo trains carrying inflammable loads (petrol, kerosene) where also the front pantograph should be used due to the danger of flying sparks from the pantograph.

And of course, the general practice regarding the preference of the rear pantograph has already been mentioned in your initial posting. ThumpUp

Edit: I forgot to mention one situation when both pantographs are raised: In very cold winter days, the first one serves as an "ice scraper", the second one transmits the power. However, in such situations, restrictions with regard to the speed of the train mostly apply.
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Mr. Ron  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2022 19:40:45(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Thank you all for the response. I knew I would find the right answer here. It all makes sense now.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2022 08:36:55(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I think Unholz gave a very good answer, but I think there is one detail more. (I might be wrong)
Some older e-loks should run with both pantos up always, if the ski on the panto is "single". -As in older times.
If the lok has been equipped with a more modern pantographs with doble slider, then only one should be raised.

A totally different issue; I sometimes see people running their restaurant cars with the panto up. That is a NO-NO, as these are only used when the waggon is without a connection to a lok.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Mr. Ron  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2022 05:00:32(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
[quote

A totally different issue; I sometimes see people running their restaurant cars with the panto up. That is a NO-NO, as these are only used when the waggon is without a connection to a lok.

If a restaurant car is behind a steam or diesel engine, there would generally not be any catenary to hook into.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline danmarklinman  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2022 14:25:11(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Anther interesting pantograph use I’ve seen at some border stations Jeumont on the French/ Belgium frontier, we’re the use of switchable catenary from the SNCF system to the Belgium system is used. Despite being switchable, the trains use to roll to a stop with there pantograph’s down? Nowadays the multi voltage locos run straight through with the pantograph’s for each system being changed on the move. This use to happen with the SNCF 40100 and SNCB equivalent, but all freight trains use to do this.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman