Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2022 23:22:36(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
As suggested on this forum I am going to use Merkur track bed for my K-Tracks.

Merkur suggest to use their own proprietary glue to tack back the embankment once the flex track has the desired curve. Since I live in Canada I would rather not add extra weight to my order, so is Elmer/wood glue a good alternative or do you have any suggestions that works best beside the Merkur own glue?
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2022 00:16:10(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I don’t glue the Merkur track bed. The reason is that you may need to ”adjust” the track a little when adding the next track. Also, the smaller radius of flex track you have, the K tracks tend to want to straighten out, which make it tricky to fix with glue. I put a screw where needed, once surrounding terrain is laid, it is possible to remove most screws.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2022 04:53:01(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
I don’t glue the Merkur track bed. The reason is that you may need to ”adjust” the track a little when adding the next track. Also, the smaller radius of flex track you have, the K tracks tend to want to straighten out, which make it tricky to fix with glue. I put a screw where needed, once surrounding terrain is laid, it is possible to remove most screws.

I was not asking about glueing the track bed down. I was referring to the part in the instructions where they say to cut the inner edge off and then glue it back to allow the curve to hold. (see red arrows)

F4A58793-8C8D-4A52-9F05-57055290B356.jpeg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline mrmarklin  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2022 05:17:33(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

I was not asking about glueing the track bed down. I was referring to the part in the instructions where they say to cut the inner edge off and then glue it back to allow the curve to hold. (see red arrows)

F4A58793-8C8D-4A52-9F05-57055290B356.jpeg

Unless the Merkur has changed, we use a heat gun when curving the tracks. And use track screws to hold the curve. We don’t trim the Merkur as shown in the picture.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline PeFu  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2022 07:28:02(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
[

Oh, sorry, missed that part… I have only followed that procedure on very narrow curves (radius approx. 60-70 cm), but also on Merkur turnout sides. I used standard white wood PVA type of glue.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2022 13:09:17(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks for the help guys.

I am anxious to try those praised track bed and see what it is all about
Offline BenP  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2023 16:53:38(UTC)
BenP

United States   
I started to work with Merkur roadbed, which is a fabulous addition to marklin rail options.
There is no need to glue the preshaped k+merkur track segments. One trick i use is to place k track joins in middle of merkur base, instead of matching ends. This makes for very sturdy track segments and no separation gaps at k joins.
For flex k track i use screws, as the tension from curved track and roadbed is too much for glueing. Also, fixing/moving track is easy with screws, not with glue.
Ben
20230427_100246.jpg
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BenP