Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nick1150  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2022 11:43:05(UTC)
Nick1150

Greece   
Hello to all,

I am Nick and i am situated in Athens, Greece BigGrin

This is my project

I have created several CS3+ events and I would like to run these events at a specific time of the day, for instance:

I would like to run an event that switches on some of the lights at 06:00 in the morning (event's duration is +/- 1 hour)

I would like to run an event that plays sounds from my central station at 06:10 in the morning (event's duration is +/- 3 minutes)

I would like to run an event that starts the first loco at low speed, then medium speed, at 06:13 in the morning (event's duration is +/- 1 hour)

I would like to run another event that starts the second loco at low speed, then medium speed, at 06:14 in the morning (event's duration is +/- 1 hour)

Additionally I have recorded events for noon, afternoon and night, so my CS3+ runs at a specific time of the day.

Note: All events have been created, and tested, no risk whatsoever for crashes.

Hope this is easy

Thanks

Nick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nick1150
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2022 13:34:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Nick

Welcome to this great forum of Märklin friends and train friends.

I don't believe this possibility is offered by the CS3 with the present s/w version (I may be wrong though).
These are the system conditions you may add to an event
CS3_Event_Edit_LancementEvenement.png
With Rocrail, this possibility exists as well as real time (your computer time), accelerated time, (set time with a speed of 2,...,up to 100), relative time, hourly (repeats itself after one hour. Weather and Night / day can also be defined.
Cheers
Jean
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2022 13:47:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I agree with Jean. I can't recall any method of setting the real time or date in the CS3, and there does not seem to be a NTP (Network Time Protocol) setting either. Without this capability it would be impossible for the CS3 to know what time it was to run the events properly.

As Jean has noted the only way to do this is to use a PC/MAC with suitable model railway software like Rocrail or WinDigiPet.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Nick1150  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2022 17:01:49(UTC)
Nick1150

Greece   
Thank you for your answers :)

I will download Rocrail then ;)
Offline gamolina  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2022 23:44:38(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Hello Nick!
This is not possible with CS3 because it has not a clock.
You can do it with a CS2, it has a clock.
Offline Nick1150  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2022 06:59:54(UTC)
Nick1150

Greece   
Hello Sir,

Thank you for the info about CS2!

To be honest I am stuck with this. I downloaded Rocrail, but it seems I am not smart enough to connect it with the CS3, same goes with iTrain. I've spent enough time with negative results with both.
Offline gamolina  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2022 18:28:10(UTC)
gamolina

Argentina   
Once I asked Märklin why does not include the clock as CS2 in CS3.
they told me that in a future....

This future is since 2017...
Offline johnmccauley  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2023 11:59:00(UTC)
johnmccauley

United States   
I also have the need to trigger certain events at certain times. The approach I am planning on using is having a Esp32 set outputs linked to the S88. Basically like a contact track, except triggering through code.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmccauley
Online JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 30 April 2023 12:48:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Nick1150 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Sir,

Thank you for the info about CS2!

To be honest I am stuck with this. I downloaded Rocrail, but it seems I am not smart enough to connect it with the CS3, same goes with iTrain. I've spent enough time with negative results with both.

Hi Nick
To connect a CS3 to your PC (Windows 10 in my case) is easy:
- you need a CAT5 cable (normal or cross-over does not matter)
- you may connect directly your PC to your CS3 see below how.
- depending on your firewall (I use Windows Defender, included in Windows), you may have to declare the address and the name of the external device (CS3)

How to connect directly a PC to a CS3?
In the CS3
CS3 IP Manuel
IP 192.168.000.023
IP Mask 255.255.255.000
IP-Gateway 192.168.000.001
DNS Server 192.168.000.001
CS3 CAN Broadcast
Address 192.168.000.255

In Rocrail
Rocrail /rocrail/properties/Command Station  Adresse 192.168.000.023

In the PC
IP 192.168.000.101
IP Mask 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway 192.168.000.001

Notes:
- in the used IP addresses the front part 192.168... is imposed by regulations and standards
- when using a Router or WiFi Router, you must set the CS3 in AUTO mode (DHCP) whereby it will ask the router for an address that you then use to set the other devices (PC, Rocrail. The drawback is then that on next boot, the assigned addresses may be different (especially when many users on the router) which will force you to redo the configuration.
- in case of difficulties, you may want to disable you firewall during the test BUT do it only while internet is blocked (so that no virus can enter your system). This allows you to verify if the cause is the firewall blocking the non-declared communications

Cheers
Jean
Offline Tie  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2023 15:01:27(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Have never tried, but assume you can make this using events in event. You start it manually and insert whatever events you like using x minuts delay between them.. first starts manually and next start after said delay…. Make the thing to take 24 hours and then you can make it repeat endlessly.
Regards
Thor
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2023 21:33:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Events have delays and you can start after a given time. Not sure just how long a delay can be set. Not sure if doing this without you being there is a good idea. Locos and coaches can derail at times and need to be sorted fairly quickly. No matter how well you set things up problems can happen.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Tie  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2023 21:43:45(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Fullt agree with You david always best to visually verify train travel. But for the teoretical part: If length of delay is a problem. Just to add some uneccessary commands after each orher to prolong delay(turn on / off a virtual contact or something)
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 01 May 2023 12:49:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Fullt agree with You david always best to visually verify train travel. But for the teoretical part: If length of delay is a problem. Just to add some uneccessary commands after each orher to prolong delay(turn on / off a virtual contact or something)

That might work. You could try just giving some delays for an hour and see what happens. However as I said if a coach derails a loco can drag it round the layout causing a lot of problems.
Nice idea though to wake up with the 8am train leaving the staion.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 04 May 2023 05:10:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
.. the only way to do this is to use a PC/MAC with suitable model railway software ...

I do have to disagree,

a S88 contact may be connected to an external contact operated by anything from a water clock to an old fashioned alarm clock to a succinct PIC (Arduino) solution)
Sure an NTP connection would be helpful, but there are non-PC ways of doing that also

Peter
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 04 May 2023 05:14:29(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: johnmccauley Go to Quoted Post
... The approach I am planning on using is having a Esp32 set outputs linked to the S88. Basically like a contact track, except triggering through code.

Yep, this offers a range of implementations from a straight timer, to a CRON scheduler with the added ability for a UI for status/control

Peter
Offline Tie  
#16 Posted : 08 May 2023 20:19:23(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
My mind did not let go.
Actually create your clock as virtual contacts in an event.
Contacts named wanted times. Start event manually at tlme of first contact and contact is set to on. Set delay 2 sec. Then set same contact to off and delay to time to next contact to be on minus 2 seconds. Make the whole sequence to 24 hours and set event to loop. This should give a running clock with virtual contacts to start other events. The only 2 seconds on for each to avoid other events from unwanted repeats.
Rgs
Thor
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tie