Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2022 22:46:52(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone, hope all is well

Do you have this set? This set consists of three Lowen Gas tank wagons. Could you tell me if the wagons are a bright white color? Mine seem to be yellowed and I have never seen another set in person.

Thanks, take good care.

Dwight. RollEyes
Offline Mman  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2022 23:15:12(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I have that set, I’ll look it out tomorrow.
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Zme
Offline zscalehobo  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2022 02:16:21(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zscalehobo
Zme
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2022 02:26:43(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hi, thanks, looks like this one should be white. Mine is mostly yellow.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Mman  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2022 11:35:40(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
2D134049-B299-48AC-9274-411010458166.jpegThese are mine photographed in daylight with an Esso tanker and a pre 1980 refrigerated van ( 8600 ) for color comparison.
The box (in which they are normally kept) is dated 02/92 and in turn is stored in a rigid, lidded plastic box with other boxed sets so it doesn’t get exposed to the air or sun very often.
In the UK white tankers on the full sized railway would turn a reddish yellow (along with commuters cars in railway station car parks) due to the brake dust created by brake blocks acting on the treads of the wheels - something not so common now as most rolling stock here have disc brakes now.
Tell yourself that is what has happened to yours!
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2022 18:04:37(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, Thanks for your input. I can see, they are very white compared to your other wagons.

Mine are all the stronger yellow color which I could leave as is or try that plastic whitening technique I have seen used by digital flip, clock radio enthusiast. I think I will experiment on one wagon and I can see how it compares to the others.

Will post a photo for you to judge so I can get your opinion.

What have I got to lose!

Take good care, appreciate your help.

Dwight
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2022 00:18:11(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

Spent some time with this whitening process. I believe there is a difference which is obvious. Which one was treated?

UserPostedImage

I think I will do the other two.

Thanks take good care.

Dwight
Offline Carim  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2022 11:34:11(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
The middle one seems to be whiter. How did you do it?

Carim
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2022 19:27:49(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, thank you for asking about this. Hope all is well.

I learned about this from flip clock collectors when I was working on my old Sony flip clock radio. I had the same yellowing problem with the cabinet and discovered this technique on the site:

https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/

Thru the application of their techniques, I managed to get the cabinet whitened and here is the after results. Honestly, I sent the electronic parts of the unit to a guy in California. He fixed the clock and radio which I had removed and sent to him. When he sent it back I reassembled it, but I digress.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...0-B42F-B3A3EA16B709.jpeg

Here is what you will need: safety glass could be added
A small plastic tub
Plastic hand gloves
Developer
Sponge brush or cotton swab

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...E-BB6B-AEA3D8137A9E.jpeg

Here is one under another name. Note the developer. It is produced under a variety of names.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...41-A02C-EA1E70F4DC09.gif

Here are the ingredients in the one I used, a product with these ingredients might be what to use. It is like a white creamy paste. And a little goes a long way, no need to purchase a large bottle.

https://www.marklin-users.net/up...2-86BF-74BEE84929D4.jpeg

Developer is a product used by hairdressers or beauty shops and might be sold under different product names in your location. I found it in a local beauty supply shop.

I removed the wheels from the wagon. If the shell were removable you could do that but the developer doesn’t seem to affect the plastic. I tried to mask the wagon, but could not get the tape I had to stick. It seems the yellowing is a leaching of the chemicals in the plastic from exposure to heat or sun. Sometimes the plastic liner in the box, breaks down and stains the wagon.

You do not need a sunny day for this because the UV is there all the time. It seems strange to expose the plastic to more UV but you will need it. I am at altitude and have plenty of UV most all the time. I would not want to expose the small plastic to the full heat of the sun and it might warp, so be careful and monitor the process. The winter sun might be perfect, summer heat and sun could be a bad combination.

Put on your gloves and glasses if you want. Take the brush or cotton swap and apply the developer cream to the yellowed wagon. Don’t worry about the inscriptions on your wagon as the cream doesn’t seem to affect these. When you have the cream where you want it, place the wagon in the plastic tub and move it to the UV rich area you have. It is even said exposure to a LED light works, but might take longer to get the results you want.

Watch your wagon and apply more cream if needed, move to change direct to your UV source to make certain entire wagon is exposed. The longer your wagon is exposed, the whiter it will become. Just repeat the process until you are satisfied. I wash off all the cream from time to time to examine the results. I use a small brush and soap and water to clean off the cream as it tends to dry.

The results compared to the effort applied, I believe makes it worthwhile. I have done this to a small tank wagon and it worked for it also. The l biggest caution is remember to avoid the combination or heat and sun to the point of warping your wagon. When finished, wash with soap and water, and I use compressed air to dry it completely. I don’t submerge the wagon completely. Remember the coupler and spring are still on the wagon. Blow air into coupler area to dry spring completely. Look over your results.

Be careful, you are working with a chemical used by hair dressers all the time, but keep it off your hands and out of your eyes.

If you look over your collection I am certain you will find a candidate for this process. If you would like to practice, find some old yellow plastic someplace and try it on that first. Radio knobs might be something you could try it on.

Best wishes, I think you might be happier with a rare white wagon than a yellowed ugly one, but that is just me. I did this on a yellowed tank wagon which only was produced in a quantity of 100. Don’t forget to reinstall your wheels.

Take good care

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme