Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DB Fan  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2022 03:23:02(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Wanted to ask if anybody is familiar with this engine. I purchased this engine about 4 years ago and it is my only digital mfx engine I have at the moment. This is the first time I tried to run this engine up an incline and was a little bit disappointed with the performance. I had 4 passenger cars hooked to it and the engine was struggling up the incline I just build (see Marbach post for more detail). I tried a analog engine with the same 4 cars and didn't have any trouble going up the incline. I noticed that there are only 2 traction tires on the BR 50 and was wondering if this is the standard now for newer digital engines? Thanks for any comments.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2022 08:36:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DB Fan Go to Quoted Post
I noticed that there are only 2 traction tires on the BR 50 and was wondering if this is the standard now for newer digital engines?
For some classes there were some ups and downs. They started with two traction tyres to improve electric contract, but later switched to four tyres to improve tractive effort.

There were some Märklin locos where the tractive effort could be doubled by weakening some springs in the loco. Springs that push down axles without traction tyres, thus reducing the weight on the axles with traction tyres.

And modern locos are often very sensitive to changes of the incline. I've seen that with the BR 05: track bends upwards and the powered axles are hanging in the air with loco resting on the pilot trucks.
BR 50 should be less sensitive to that problem, having a leading running axle only, but it might happen that the traction tyres are in the air at some point.

Does your loco stall on certain spots? Or are the axles slipping along the whole incline?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0