Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2021 20:06:14(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I pre-ordered a Marklin 88146 Class CidT Steam-Powered Rail Car a while back and found out today I'm getting it. Wow. Whether that means there are more out there to be gotten I don't know but I though I'd get the word out.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 16 December 2021 22:00:10(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

That is great news. I was just told by my source, it is still not available. I think I will make contact again.

That is a great looking Kittel. I believe the only change made to this one is the colors on the shell. The multiple colors are an improvement over the first release.

Should work well.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Bahner  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2021 17:33:43(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Thanks for the heads-up. I hope to get a notification that it's available again, too.
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2021 19:40:01(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I received mine yesterday and it is simply amazing detail and paint wise.
The packaging is a big step up from anything I have recieved before from Marklin. The loco is actually placed inside a snap together injection molded plastic frame, which then sits inside the familiar grey vacuum formed tray, and all that slides into a clear hard plastic sleeve, and finally into a standard Marklin cardboard with window box. This is brilliant because the Kittle has incredibly fine details like steps and hoses projecting from either end which would be damaged for sure if trying to pry it out sideways by the end (or dumping it out) like it would be with traditional Marklin packaging. Once you separate the snap together case the loco is lifted vertically out by the top which is safe.
Painting, printing, and the details are fantastic. The windows are beautiful too.
When running I was surprised at how slow this loco is. My slowest Marklin loco to date. I think the gearing is low though because it did not speed up even after an hour of running in both directions. It did take a couple of nudges to get it going initially. The visible gears appear to be plastic and of a coarse pitch. They appeared to be bone dry so I added Labelle 108 as directed by the manual. So after a bit of break in I find the loco to be very reliable and quiet, with nice bright headlamps only in the direction of travel. Around my track and through the switches it crawls along without stopping, even at very slow speeds, very impressive (assuming the real ones were not fast either).
So don't be put off by the "made in China" sticker when you unwrap your package. Of course the Chinese are capable of highest quality manufacturing as directed by the parent company. This splendid loco represents the very best of that "made in Germany" quality that we know Marklin is capable of. This was done by real pros.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline husafreak  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2021 19:46:13(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
image.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline zoooctan  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2021 06:50:18(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Hello everyone, I was actually going to start a new thread on this Kittel steam car. I'm quite disappointed that it's sold out everywhere. I'm considering purchasing a couple or more to have a new layout just based on it. If anyone has any tips or online dealers, please let me know. Thank you!
Also if anyone would be able to do a review of this, that'll be great.
Any information about the heritage of this car and it's railway would be welcome too!

Thanks.
Happy new Year everyone!

Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 31 December 2021 14:19:53(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hallo, hope all is well in this new year!

I particularly like this model also. When Marklin announced this model they stated the only change to this one as compared to the 88145 was the shell paint scheme . Internally, it is exactly the same. They had a bit of history on their website about it:

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/88146

I believe Zweekly had an an article on the first model a while back, as did Trainini.

http://ztrainsweekly.com...leys-and-railcars-books/

There is likely someone on EBay or similar sites, is selling this item, but this model now commands a premium price. How fortunate for those who were able to pick one up, I could not understand selling it so quickly.

Hope you find one.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2021 17:48:57(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I may have already shared this story here on our forums but a while back my dealer was unable to procure enough of a highly anticipated loco for me to get one. I was too far down the list of pre orders. And then there were none to be had. Apparently it is hard for even our authorized dealers to get popular locos! I was told that to make sure I could get a new release to order from multiple vendors and hope to get lucky. Which I have done successfully a couple of times now. But I am not really interested in flipping new locos at a profit on fleabay. So I have just politely asked the dealers to cancel my order (and that I understand if they would rather sell me the loco). Yeah I might eventually have to sell to friends or fleabay but so far no one has "forced" the sale. Probably because they know they can sell to their loyal customers without problem. It's a messy way to do it but Marklin makes it difficult for all of us, end users and dealers.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2021 18:46:00(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The Z Trains Weekly article is very good and pretty much exactly what I experienced with the newer kittle. Except mine has no trouble with turnouts. I wonder just when this two tone color scheme first appeared? I had to laugh though at his suggestion of the 86391 trio of box cars making a train. I bought that set in Aachen during my recent visit to Germany. Today I just have mine pulling along refreshments for the passengers, a beer keg wagon!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Zme
Offline zoooctan  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2022 04:09:12(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
I have to say that the ztrainsweekly article is really good as well. In particular, it was the only piece of information I could find on the internet that made a suggestion that the railcar actually functioned as a small scale locomotive hauling some small freight as well. Some of you know my custom American freelance modules called Halland. I did have an inkling of wanting to create a one-time module just for these Kittel railcars but was wondering if I could justify them functioning in a small town / module where they would ferry both passengers and simple freight. Thanks to this article, it seems to suggest that that would be possible. Unfortunately what isn't possible is actually getting these Kittels :(
Hopefully with the good sales and mold that Marklin has, maybe they would make more in the future or have more variations. Personally I do not mind much whether it is the 88145 or 88146..I just thought it would be nice to have two or three function in a "town" / region.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by zoooctan
Zme