Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Philipj  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2021 20:56:55(UTC)
Philipj

United States   
Hello,

I have some old Liliput and Piko stock cars. I have been collecting for a while to run on my m-track along with 37453 (BR45 Locomotive)... Some of the old stock goes back as far as the 60's and 90's (Liliput) with the Piko Being the newest...

My questions are, what type of wheels do I need for them to work correctly with the old M-track system?

The Liliput:

836 02 #214035 DR Postwagen
837 01 #19214 DR Salonwagen
838 02 #5188 DR Salonwagen
827 02 #33739 DR Salonwagen
336610 #918 001 Schutzwagen
xxx xx #1220 Mitropa Speisewagen
xxx xx #22073 Mitropa Schalfwagen
xxx xx #1075 Mitropa Speisewagen

Piko:

53174 #112310 DR Pakwagen
53227 #33739 DR Schurzeneilzugwagen

The AC wheels I have found are Piko #56061... Can these be used on the Liliput coaches? or do I need to source out Liliput #939330?

Thank you!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Philipj
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2021 00:09:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Philip,

I think you get best results by trial and error.
The different available AC wheelsets will suit some but not other of various Piko and Liliput rolling stock.
In fact Märklin wheelsets suit most of the DC rolling stock brands.

After extensive use I believe Märklin are the best of all wheelsets including Brawa and Roco.
Fleischmann AC wheelsets are around the same quality as Märklin as are the wheels available from modellbahnradsatz.
Currently the latter has his website closed for holidays.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 29 December 2021 01:01:06(UTC)
Copenhagen

If you want to change to AC wheel because the cars don't run well on the track it may be enough just to adjust the wheel spacing.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Philipj  
#4 Posted : 29 December 2021 14:21:00(UTC)
Philipj

United States   
Hello Kimball,

Thank you for the referral to Modellbahnradsatz, I have sent them a message and will see what they suggest... On the other hand, I am willing to try some stuff, but it always helps to have a part# to start with... If I am to try the Märklin wheels, I believe that #700150 is the standard wheelset...

Another question I have is, how can I tell the difference between a DC wheelset and a AC wheelset? Thank you.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Philipj
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#5 Posted : 29 December 2021 14:26:32(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
The simplest is that DC wheelsets have an insulator on one side of the axle - black "disk"/"insert in picture:

UserPostedImage

AC wheels will not have the insulator as the rails are separate from the pukos, so no need.
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline Philipj  
#6 Posted : 29 December 2021 15:11:40(UTC)
Philipj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
If you want to change to AC wheel because the cars don't run well on the track it may be enough just to adjust the wheel spacing.

I don't really know if there is an adjustment on Piko or Liliput cars, but I remember some derailments, specially with the older Liliput stock...As for another benefit to making the change, does it have to do with running stock with illumination only?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Philipj
Offline Copenhagen  
#7 Posted : 29 December 2021 16:47:59(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: Philipj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

I don't really know if there is an adjustment on Piko or Liliput cars, but I remember some derailments, specially with the older Liliput stock...As for another benefit to making the change, does it have to do with running stock with illumination only?

The plastic part on the DC wheel makes it possible to press the wheels closer or further away from each other. It can be done by hand (maybe wear gloves and do some twisting and turning at the same time - with your hands!) but as you only need adjustments at a few tenths of millimeters at the time it can be a bit tricky and you'll probably also need a calliper. In this thread some of the issues are discussed:
https://www.marklin-user...o-Back-wheel-measurement

I'm not sure that standard Maerklin AC wheels will fit on your Piko or Liliput cars.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 29 December 2021 17:01:51(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Why don't Marklin A/C wheels do this? I tried with my double decker commuter cars which are condtantly falling out of their bogies. The plastic bogies do not adjust tighter on the axles either. Very flexible.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 29 December 2021 19:12:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Liliput Parts for older models (Liliput Wien and some Liliput Herpa) can be found at lokomobile.com (Hofer Lokschuppen, Herr Arndt). He bought a large quantity of Liliput parts and sells them.
For newer models, check with Bachmann.de.

Piko is still in existence, so you can find the parts at piko.de or through dealers that accept part orders.

Most often, the instructions list the AC wheelsets for that particular model.
You can often find suitable AC wheelsets from Maerklin, Roco, Hag, etc, but you have to pay attention to the diameter of the wheels, the type of flange and the shape of the axle ends.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 29 December 2021 19:17:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
The simplest is that DC wheelsets have an insulator on one side of the axle - black "disk"/"insert in picture:

UserPostedImage

AC wheels will not have the insulator as the rails are separate from the pukos, so no need.

I don't quite get your last sentence.

AC wheels will not have an insulator because the two rails are jointly used for return (ground), so there is no need for them to be isolated from each other.
This also enables the use of contact tracks in the 3 rail system for signals, crossings, switches and other devices (track occupation, etc) that would not be possible if the wheels were isolated from each other.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2021 19:20:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Why don't Marklin A/C wheels do this? I tried with my double decker commuter cars which are condtantly falling out of their bogies. The plastic bogies do not adjust tighter on the axles either. Very flexible.

If your wheelsets are popping out of the bogies on your coaches, it has nothing to do with wheel spacing, but rather with axle length or more likely with the plastic of the bogie being deformed. The solution would either be to gently press the plastic to tighten the pressure on the axle or to replace the bogies if that was not possible. I have had such an experience with my 474X ROLA cars and solved it by ordering new bogies when Maerklin issued new models of that type.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2021 20:50:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Ok Mike, Marklin sent me a replacement bogie to my former dealer, only to have the same problem. I shouldn't have to replace bogies because Marklin debugged them on later issue models.
I'm from the Lee Iacoca era of business models. "SATISFY THE CUSTOMER" Thats how I ran my departments. If I couldn't replace an item no charge due to unkown purchase date or no reciept, I met them half way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999