Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tie  
#1 Posted : 23 December 2021 18:40:05(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Anybody knows why the two options for terminate and stop events is inactive(grey) while option block events is active and working?
Running my trains on automatic one of the turnouts failed to work and I hit the stop button but I am not able to terminate events(even when stop button is released and there is power on the track. The button in question is on top of the events window in cs3.
Regards
Thor Inge
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2021 23:41:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Thor
I am not sure to which part in the CS3 events you refer to
CS3_Event_Edit_ajoutFonction.png
I have a CS3 but my sequences of events are written in Rocrail (time-tables, routes, conditional or not) but one thing is sure, when the program does not unfold like planned (a switch position in your case) you have a write a back-up solution.
Yes, for a switch it does not make sense but in my case, all uncouplings are checked and automatically repeated in case of failure (of un-coupling)

Cheers

Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2021 01:10:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, it's tricky. The condition setting determines the "if, "or" of the action sequences. An "or" condition will allow the action to execute regardless, but an "if" condition only if the previous action does, or something like that. I'm not very good at code writing either.
Offline Tie  
#4 Posted : 24 December 2021 09:27:07(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
My event are homemade and not so E2CBB9E6-AD81-4B56-A3E3-30265C37F890.jpegadvanced. I just monitor the trains and when I saw a train not following my right hand principle entering a station I first hit the stop button… knowing anorher train would enter the track in the other direction. Then I opened the event window and tried to terminate all events and then manually drive the trains back to their starting position. Here I supposed the terminate event creen button would end execution of all events. But the terminate event option is in-active. Even after restart the events continue….
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 24 December 2021 11:34:51(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My terminate events are also inactive. I have not recorded any events and thought that was why. Depending on the travel direction of trains, you have to pay close attention as they near a turnout. A W may show up in an event box when a condition is applied. If a train is traveling against a turnout it isn't a problem, but when not, you don't want an event to trigger a point while only half the train has passed through. The remaining cars will enter the turnout of course. Disastrous.
Sometimes trains follow each other and sometimes are running in opposing directions. If programmed events don't or trigger in time to prevent a crash, it's best to block all with the control button. I often do this upon starting until trains are far enough away from each other. As one enters the station, I can either set the home signal to stop, or release the events which sends it into the station loop as another train can then enter a branch loop across the layout, or leave a yard siding.
I can see why a computer automation program like Rocrail which Jean uses is beneficial.
Garage spams layout is fully automatic and operates trains randomly while keeping them from crashing.
Offline Tie  
#6 Posted : 24 December 2021 13:52:06(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
I have not used triggers the «normal» way. I have defined a virtual controlling contact for each block. So chrashes is «impossible». However in this case the turnout triggered but a mechanical failure.. some dirt on the turnout blocked the movment.
I have made the cs3 work now and the contact option is active. Only problem now: I do not know what I did to make the cs3 workConfused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline BenP  
#7 Posted : 24 December 2021 14:17:46(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Anybody knows why the two options for terminate and stop events is inactive(grey) while option block events is active and working?
Running my trains on automatic one of the turnouts failed to work and I hit the stop button but I am not able to terminate events(even when stop button is released and there is power on the track. The button in question is on top of the events window in cs3.
Regards
Thor Inge

Same grayed options here. Surely after emergency stop an event should not auto restart. Also, I am dealing with shared track segments and not sure how location by occupancy track can be used to avoid crashes.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2021 08:17:12(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
I do not think Rockrail or Traincontroller actual have train detection. The computer send a train in a direction and based on feedback from sensors assume the feedback is triggered by the train it sent there. You could use the ctracks with a switch in the middle(activated by the current. Pick up slider) this can also tell the direction of the triggering train. I e it can tell if a train is entering or leaving a block. Disadvantage with this switches(my experience) they lift the slider an disconnect locomotive current. (Espesially on slow speed). Also they will not sense a lost wagon. Best option to really sense if a block is occupied or not would be to make the each full length block a contact track. This would also sense a lost wagon. Such an option would require above mentions switches, reed switches or other sensing devices for further feed back. Just a thought I have played with. And isolating one rail will probably increase possibility for lost current to locos.
Then fnally. Do you really need this occupancy detection?
Regards
Thor Inge
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2021 10:47:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Thor
Yes you are right, Rocrail does not have its own detection / feed-back system but needs the one you have with your digital system.
Yes, train detection take a little more time to wire and yes sometimes, current pick-up is negatively affected (very special cases and most uniquely with extra short locos.
In this case, the diode trick is there to help. A regular 1N40XX (4001 or 4002,..) whose cathode is connected with the detection rail and the anode with the 0 of the rails.
Yes rails with a rocker activated by the slider were great fun with M tracks and provided that the train has only one slider (no coach lighting) but this provided a lot of fantasy but reduced reliability.
Now with train detection (isolated rail) on the entire block section, the system works with perfection and as soon as a train is misdirected, the system stops for security.
No more crashes.
Of course with Rocrail, the system not only knows the train direction but knows which train it is, which length, what type, etc providing opportunities for selected operation for electric trains, steamer, railcars
All this is just my opinion after many years of operation with M track and analogue operation and then C track and digital operation.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Tie  
#10 Posted : 25 December 2021 13:21:03(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Thanks for info John. Always something new to learn. I also want to test my faulty turnout to see if I can sense that it is not shifted as you said earlier. Just prevent the metallic part from mooving and see if on cs3 it shifts or remain as it was before activating.
Thanks.
Thor Inge
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 25 December 2021 19:03:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for info John. Always something new to learn. I also want to test my faulty turnout to see if I can sense that it is not shifted as you said earlier.Just prevent the metallic part from mooving and see if on cs3 it shifts or remain as it was before activating.

It all depends on the track type you are using:
- with C track the most common failure is one of the end-switches inside the point motor does not switch-on properly. What most of us do is to short circuit the micro switches inside
- with M track, two typical things may happen; 1 the solenoid previously got hot and now the rectangular nylon path for the iron core is bent inwards - sadlyg it needs replacing 2 the tongue spring got hot because of previous derailment and needs replacing.
Good luck
Jean

Offline Tie  
#12 Posted : 25 December 2021 20:03:44(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Should not tell… but I was running my trains one friday evening enjoying a small glass of home made plume liquer with lots of sugar in it. And putting the gass on the layout spilling rhe drink in the turnout. Now the turnout is thoroughly cleaned several times with hot water, but still not perfect😳 onene learnes from failures but at a cost🤭