Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2021 13:29:00(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good morning fellow Marklin enthusiasts.

This is my first time posting on this section of the forum. I have been a Marklin enthusiast for many years mainly focussing on HO gauge but I have over time bought Gauge 1 and sold it again.

Recently I have acquired more Gauge 1 locos as part of mixed collections mainly HO. My most recent acquisition included a G.1 55031. The locomotive is in excellent condition except the motor is missing as well as two buffers, the whistle and the mounting for the rear telex coupling. Does anyone know where I could source a replacement motor, replacement buffers, whistle and coupling mounting. Will a motor from other G.1 locos fit?

I have searched online but I cannot find a dealer or repair centre where I can get all these parts to purchase in one lot. Marklin have some parts but if I start buying one piece from one dealer and another piece from another dealer the postage cost will be expensive.

Looking forward to your comments and obversations.

John
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2021 13:46:16(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi John,

I have purchased Märklin spareparts from a company in Italy via ebay.de. They have had every part I was missing. Quick delivery to Sweden, at least. The sellers id is Coccodrillo114. I don’t know if they carry guage 1 though.

Merry Christmas, Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2021 14:00:55(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi John
For a European, the best way is to order by Märklin Shop.
In your case I cannot help further because the item you mention is a digital profi set including 2 locos (one steamer and one diesel V100)

Because the set was sold between 2000 and 2004 the spare parts are not listed in Märklin shop so you may:
- Call Märklin shop in Germany for help (German and maybe they could understand English)
- check with your local Märklin dealer

If your look for parts on the Steamer BR93.1 then:
- For buffers, you may use the ones for a VIC Steamer 55751, the part number for buffers is E255634 (€15)
- For the motor, I suggest you check in existing locomotives if the spare motor would suit yours

If your look for parts on the BR V100 then I suggest you use the more recent production V100 reference 55728 :
- for the buffers use part E167225 (€15)
- for the motor, use part E539920 (€33)

IMO Märklin is known for industrial stability: they keep the same design but improve the decoders and decoration so the risk is small for the parts not to fit
I repaired a lot of my locos using parts from Märklin shop https://www.maerklinshop.de/, on HO gauge with very satisfactory results
I hope this helps
Jean

Offline johnmarklin  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2021 18:33:39(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you Peder and Jean for responding to my query.

I have been in contact with my Marklin shop who have in turn been in contact with Marklin. Unfortunately the motor is no longer available nor is the loudspeaker or the whistle. Marklin advised that they contacted Marklin service in the hope that they might have the parts but unfortunately they do not either. The buffers are available. I will have to now start a search to find a generic motor and speaker. The actual steam locomotive that I need the parts for BR. 91 is in very good condition and too good to put it in the skip.

Happy Christmas to all.

John
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2021 19:54:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have whistles as spare parts and probably also buffers Cool

I don't get the loudspeaker part, originally this loco is without sound Confused

If the loco is retrofitted with a sound decoder, any speaker with the correct impedance should work.

If a different decoder is fitted, that could be the reason for the missing telex, if the new decoder can't handle it.

I have a few spare telex couplings ...... BigGrin

I might also have a spare motor; but I have to check in one of my own BR91s to see which one is used Cool

And I can't do anything until after New Year..... Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 22 December 2021 22:34:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
If all else fails after Per's kind offer, SB-Modellbau offer replacement motors for many Marklin Gauge 1 locos including the BR91 (although they aren't in stock at the moment).

https://www.sb-modellbau...set-Maerklin-BR-91-51015
Offline johnmarklin  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2021 11:34:35(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you Per for your kind offer.

The BR 91 that I have is original and does have sound. It is fitted with the original decoder and according to research I have done it does have sound if it has two switches on the board which mine has . The speaker is not my priority. I will send you a PM in the new year with the list of parts I need.

Bidgdaddynz, thank you for that suggestion. I never thought of checking sb- modellbau. I will check their website if Per does not have the motor that I need.

Happy Christmas to you both and hopefully 2022 will be a good year.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2021 20:42:23(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
The BR 91 that I have is original and does have sound. It is fitted with the original decoder and according to research I have done it does have sound if it has two switches on the board which mine has .

Trust me, if your loco is "BR 91 1651" from the start set 55031, it is born without sound, even if it has two switches Cool

One of the switches is to select AC / DC / Digital.

You can add a sound module from the 55910 "T9 KPEV", and when these machines were new, you could also send it to Märklin to have the upgrade done.

The sound module is inserted on top of the original decoder, so if your loco has had the sound module added, it has sound, and the second switch is on/off sound.

If nothing is added, the second switch has no function.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/55031

Here you can see how the sound was added, using the sound module from the 55910 T9-KPEV.

You don't have to take the whole loco apart, just remove the water tanks, and you can look in to see the decoder.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne....uge1/locomotive/br91.htm

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline johnmarklin  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2021 00:10:53(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Per,

Thank you for that information.

I do not know if the loco is from a start set. I only got the BR 91 with no instructions or any information about it. I will examine the loco in the next few days and check to see if the hall sensor and sound effects board is installed. There is no speaker which suggests to me that it never had sound.

I will keep you posted.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline johnmarklin  
#10 Posted : 24 December 2021 14:07:43(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good afternoon Per,

I have dismantled the locomotive and can confirm that you are right. There is no sound module fitted and the hall effect sensor is not fitted either. My main priority will be to get a motor for the locomotive and after that find the missing parts. If I can sort all of that I will then think about fitting sound.

John
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 25 December 2021 15:11:19(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
If I can sort all of that I will then think about fitting sound.

The interesting thing is, that the magnets for the hall sensor are already mounted on the axle BigGrin

However, I don't think you'll be able to find an original sound module, I have never ever seen one for sale on Ebay etc.

If you want sound, you should get a Loksound L ( it does not have to be a Loksound XL ) it is a much better decoder than the more than 20 years old
type originally fitted in your loco; especially when driving very slow the original decoder is not up to the standard of modern decoders Cool

As far as I know, you can set the Loksound up to run either with a hall sensor or without; but I'm not a Loksound expert BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 25 December 2021 19:06:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

As far as I know, you can set the Loksound up to run either with a hall sensor or without; but I'm not a Loksound expert BigGrin

I would agree with the Loksound recommendation. Those on the Loksound groups.io list seem to think they work better without a sensor anyway once appropriately tuned.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline johnmarklin  
#13 Posted : 26 December 2021 15:50:25(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Per and Kixi Alan,

Thank you for your suggestion. If I decide to fit sound I would go down the Loksound route. I have fitted one before to a Gauge 1 BR 01 that I bought as a box of bits. The previous owner had tried to update the sound and dismantled the loco more than was necessary. They could not set up the decoder and did not know how to re-assemble the loco and so abandoned the loco. Regrettably I sold the loco in working order a number of years ago when I decided to downsize my collection.

My priority at the moment will be to get the locmotive running and replace missing parts.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 06 January 2022 15:23:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hi John BigGrin

I think these are the parts you are looking for BigGrin

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline johnmarklin  
#15 Posted : 07 January 2022 11:15:58(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Good morning Per,
Thank you for remembering me. Yes I need the following.

1 x Motor
1 x Whistle
2 x buffers
1 x coupling part (red plastic part with the screw). I have the rest of the coupling including the electromagnet. The red plastic part (with screw) on mine is broken and part of it is missing

I also need:

1 x lantern if you have one to spare
Offline johnmarklin  
#16 Posted : 07 January 2022 11:21:30(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Per,
PM sent.

Thank you.

John
Offline cramcke  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2022 13:46:12(UTC)
cramcke

United States   
Hey all,

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I can confirm that there was a version of the BR91 that came with sound. Many years ago I took my start set version and using Jun Maeda's instructions (http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~popi/gauge1/locomotive/br91.htm), added sound.

I recently picked up a start set (# is 55031 I think) and plan to add a speaker to the BR91- Visaton makes one that fits perfectly under the black plastic cover in the cab and I'll swap out the decoder. The spare parts shown on Jun's site are no longer available. I'll post the process on my 1-scale blog http://carstenbahnone.blogspot.com/.

- Carsten
Offline grnwtrs  
#18 Posted : 04 February 2022 01:57:44(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Good job, that is a whole lot of a I (1/32) gauge layout. You make all of us very envious.

Thanks for making us all lick our chops, just wishing we had the talent and other goods to make something like that happen.

Enjoy your time in the developing stage and building stage.

Again thanks for your pics

regards, gene
Offline johnmarklin  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2022 17:08:54(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you all for your suggestions and especially Per who supplied me with the parts I needed. I am happy to report that my BR91 is now running like new.

John
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2022 17:40:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Great news BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum