Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2021 05:49:12(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I'm thinking about using tortoise machines to control my turnouts by bypassing the solenoids. Has anyone done this? I find the spring action doesn't always operate the points. The tortoise machines also have the feature of controlling signals.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2021 16:32:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I'm thinking about using tortoise machines to control my turnouts by bypassing the solenoids. Has anyone done this? I find the spring action doesn't always operate the points. The tortoise machines also have the feature of controlling signals.

Tortoise machines are very bulky - you will need a lot of room under your layout. Also if you have a schattenbahnhof under there you will need about a foot between levels to have the Tortoise motors have enough clearance above the lower track.

You will need to use different method of driving them also as they are designed to have continuous power on the motor to maintain the point position. This will be a serious consideration of you are using digital decoders to drive them.

But I do wonder what the problem is that the spring action on your existing turnouts won't change the point blades. I have doubts that changing the point motors will fix this reliably. i would expect to do some serious maintenance on the points first to find out why the blades don't move when they should.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2021 19:27:56(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- I'm assuming K track?

I use them on my Bemo and DC HO projects, and I cannot say enough good things about them. I use the signal function (for color change) as well and it couldn't be easier/cooler. Highly recommended.

My only point worth noting would be to remember these are prototypical slow motion machines- they do no switch quickly like a solenoid, which can be a problem if a train is rushing into an intersection!
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2021 19:57:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post

Hi Ron
Another way of controlling switches (K Track) is to use inexpensive servo motors driven by a Switch Pilot 3 Servo. This one can be used both in digital and analog.
Small servo are really cheap and good. Usual mounting is under the track and plywood which can be problematic if access under it is blocked by another track level just under it.
Tortoise machines are LARGE and not so cheap.
For C track I would recommend Viessmann 4568. Compact design, slow motion, access to lower level, usable both in analog or digital. Drawback it is expensive.
https://viessmann-modell...rix-c-gleis-ersetzt-4558
Cheers
Jean
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2021 21:26:05(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
be aware that they are also rather noisy. My friend had dozens of them on his layout and when a route was set they would all whine as they changed, drowning out any other sounds in the room.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Mr. Ron  
#6 Posted : 08 December 2021 22:50:47(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Verry interesting.