Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Richard556  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2021 08:55:44(UTC)
Richard556

New Zealand   
Another thing I've been researching lately is replacing the standard Marklin 1 gauge "claw coupler" with working prototype "screw" couplers, so the rollingstock couplers buffer to buffer.

The prototype "screw" couplers are supplied with some (but not all) new Marklin 1 gauge locomotives and rolling stock made since 1987, and spares are available in packs of 10 in the 56101 set. The use of prototype couplers has been pretty common in those scales big enough for them to be practical (largely O and 1 gauges) and seem to be standard with other makes of 1 gauge models (e.g. Kiss and KM1).

The big issue is that you need large radius curves for prototype couplers to operate. In the late 1980s Marklin advised you need minimum radius curves of 2m, currently they recommend minimum radius curves of 3m. That's a problem, because my intended modular set up will use 1,394mm or 1,550mm radius curves. So I did some experiments with these radii.

IMG_0161.JPEGIMG_0174.JPEGIMG_0175.JPEG

I actually found that shorter (i.e. less than 400mm long) wagons work pretty well together buffer to buffer on both 1,394mm and 1,550mm radius curves. The biggest problem is the transition to straight to curved (or reverse curves) which is when the buffers moved way from each other the most and you are at the greatest risk of "overbuffering". Once the train is on the curve it holds well.

My 5756 crocodile was also pretty good with my SBB freight cars, as was my V100 and my Br 44 when cars are coupled to the tender. The biggest problem was with coupling cars to the front of the Br 44 or the Br 218 - the longer fixed chassis obviously pushes out more on curves and overbuffering becomes common unless you get the radius above 2 metres (which is why I'm using 59084/59085 points). You also need 300mm-600mm straight track between reverse curves.

However, there is something joyful about coupling a train up just like the real thing and watching it move as one fixed unit, without the "slinky" effect of toy train couplers - and I like smaller locomotives and rolling stock in this scale.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Richard556