Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 02 December 2021 18:54:42(UTC)
petestra

United States   
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Hello. Do you have a particular scenario to your train running patterns? Please feel free to share. Here are mine. Peter. BigGrin LL=Lower Level, UL=Upper Level

1. LL to UL and back down in a follow-the-leader pattern with auto-red signal block control, trying to make local trains stop at my LL and UL stations.

2. LL in two directional traffic with auto-red signal block control with separate UL two directional traffic via the same as previously stated control.

3. LL with thru reverse loop and back control.

4. UL two directional traffic using elevated sections. (Part of this is single track)

5. 8 trains running LL to UL and back down, repeated while LL has two directional traffic and so does the UL.

6. Shunting and making up trains at LL.

Please let us all know if you have particular features of running your trains.

Happy Holidays to all. Peter. Cool
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Gregor  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2021 19:23:46(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
L0: Shadowstation 11 trains
L1: Freight station 3x2 way (passenger trains pass through)
L2: Passenger station 3x2 way + 1x shuttle (freight trains skip this level)
Helix on the side of the layout: Storage for 26 trains, connects L1 and L2

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2021 19:25:19(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
L0: Shadowstation 11 trains
L1: Freight station 3x2 way (passenger trains pass through
L2: Passenger station 3x2 way + 1x shuttle (freight trains skip this level)
Helix on the side of the layout: Storage for 26 trains, connects L1 and L2

Cheers, Gregor. Feel free to post photos or add a link to your page if you'd like to. Peter. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Gregor  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2021 19:29:10(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Cheers, Gregor. Feel free to post photos or add a link to your page if you'd like to. Peter. ThumpUp

Was working on it... BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2021 23:33:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Two shadow stations
One main station, with underground S-Bahn station below it
One suburb with S-Bahn service.

S-Bahn commuter trains can run from the suburb station to the main station and then on around the mainline and arrive in the underground station. From they they can return to the main and back to the suburb via a single track branch line, or they can go and hide in the shadow stations.

Freight trains run through the main and can go from one hidden station to the other or back to the one they came from.

No fixed sequence or timetable is used. I can dispatch trains from anywhere to anywhere and the computer sets their route and send them on their way when track is free for far enough for the train to stop in an area where stopping is allowed. Once they arrive at their destination that can (optionally) set a new departure to elsewhere after a stop of any time period. Departures and arrivals are announced (in German).

RemoteSign displays of arrival and departure times are all updated automatically in the appropriate stations.

The mainline runs past vineyards
IMG_20210401_160006.jpg
and across a big valley.
IMG_20180604_145845.jpg

Prototypical signals are displayed throughout.

Hidden areas have virtual signals so that cab control can show driver when to stop.

Some sidings depart from the mainline near the main station and run into an engine yard with two roundhouses plus a straight engine shed.
IMG_0796.JPG

Trains can be operated manually at the same time as automatic operations, and trains in a route can be handed to a cab controller which allows manual control of the train along the route.
cabdark.png

Sound and lighting effects can be be started at any time, from the main program, remote cabs or even voice control.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2021 00:16:20(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks for your input and those great photos, Dale. Cheers, Peter.Cool
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2021 03:35:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Peter and all,

This photo shows my overall layout in a 3.3 x 2.6 metre shed with a 2.4m wide roller door for entry.
So it is a very simple single level round-and-round type layout with 3 stub-end storage sidings under the mountain, and it is totally C track.

UserPostedImage

There are 4 mainline tracks so I run 4 or 5 trains at a time.
The only variation from round and round is the interchange area where the steam engine will take-over from an electric engine and vice-versa.
Shunting can be done in a few industry sidings and a freight yard at the station.

All locomotives and railcars are digital controlled by an MS1 (60652).
I can stop trains using signals controlled by the Märklin push buttons (72720 etc).
My turnouts are all manually controlled.

Each train set will be on the layout for at least 4 weeks before I would bother to change it, because I enjoy seeing trains running as they did in real life.
That is in a hurry and able to stretch their legs.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2021 06:36:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Where should I star:

before we've extended the garage I was able to run 20 trains, now we can run 7 trains, although a lot has changed and other things came between we are getting there slowly, I thought everything would be finsih by Christmas but it doesn't look like wer'e going to achieve this goal.

Summer is approaching fast and so is the heat., we are currently insulating the old garage and hopefully by the weekend we're having one sid done and we already feel a slight difference in temperature
when it comes to running trains we would normally run Austrian & German trains, German & Swiss trains, Austrian & Swiss trains, Swiss & French or just a single country as mentioned.
We've had to make changes to our electric locos and we couldn't have the loco running from the overhead system and having a pick upshoe touching the middle contact puko, it interfered with the braking module so I had to tuck in the slider enough free space but at the same time still activating the reflective optocoupler.
before we start running trains again we have to vaccum clean the layout with fallen bit of glass wool insulation.
I also thought we could revolutionize our braking sections with detection modules but this hasn't happened, so I have to install initiation and braking sections for the overhead again.
It feels like sometimes we're gong back wards but work has to be done in Order,

all our locos run automaticlly with 3 section run as a shuttle service, unfortunately our lauyout doesn't have a fiddle yeard or hidden sidings and this another thing I'm working on, to run more individual trains without having to change them over manually

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 05 December 2021 20:37:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Loving this subject!
It's one of my favorite aspects of the hobby, so I hope I don't over-extend my answer;

Basic theme for my layout; Central station on a crushed oval (dogbone) with branching off secondary line. An alpine line branches off from the shadow-station of the secondary line.

First of all; My trains runs 100% automatic, even though all locos are good old analogue ones. I use industrial-strength PLCs and 24Vdc relays to control most things. The 24Vdc and the 16Vac uses a common return, thus making train-detection with the tracks compatible.

Nevertheless anything else NOT being the main-line has certain options for manual control. Here's a photo of the control panel that I have just begun to implement;
IMG_20211205_193431[1].jpg
The 5 dials to the left are for a Z-schaltung of the parts that I can control manually.
The 5 parts are;
1) Branchline station-tracks
2) Industrial area with old Märklin magnetic crane
3) BW area with drehscheibe
4) Shunting area parallel to the station (and small industrial connection to the right)
5) Station track 1
The dials each permit the following selections;
1) Digital control with MS2 (again, the brown cable from the controller is connected to the common return, This is "dangerous" and schelifer-vippen are installed between sections and the main line automatic system.
2) "0" or OFF. (Section power-less)
3) Trafo A
4) Trafo B
(There are more options, but I don't want to extend myself too much; It's about connecting to the automatic PLC-control and the blue 6600 control for branchline shuttlelling.)
-Notice also the almost complete absence of point+signal controls for the main station-tracks on the control panel.

The automatic system handles the 6 main station-tracks, and the merging with branch-line traffic (also automatic);
IMG_20211205_193552[1].jpg
Tracks 1 and 6 are bi-directional. Tracks 2+3 are for west-bound trains and tracks 4+5 for east-bound trains.
About a year ago I wrote some stuff about the control, stating that track 1 was dedicated for the branch-line. I'm happy to say that that is no longer so; All 6 tracks are available for both branchline and main-line. ThumpUp (Even though it has cost me about a month of headaches hammering out the software)

Some details of the workings of the automatic station;
Incoming trains are all measured for a) speed, b) if they are passenger trains, c) length; if they are short (compatible with branchline), medium (compatible with station) or overlong (blocks inbound and outbounds trains in the rest of the station)
A track is then assigned. If the train is fast (or freight) and the block out of the station is free, then the selected station-tracks signal is switched to green right away, and the train is marked for run-through.
If a train goes to or from the branch-line, a short stop is obligatory.
If it is a passenger-train that has to stop, then a longer stop is programmed.
The PLC also handles details such as; Powering tracks whos signal shows red, if approached from the opposite side of the signal.
Handling braking (sections fo gradually less voltage) depending on if the train has to stop or is running through.

I could go on describing funny details of the control, but again, I don't want to over-extend my answer with details probably only interesting to myself. So listing quickly; Priority handling of fast passenger-trains vs. normal passenger trains vs. freights. Re-routing freight-trains away from main platform tracks. Speculative booking of station-tracks. Freeing entry-signals to the station in advance, so that trains doesnt brake on main-line unless necessary. Handling of multiple crossovers in both directions. Simultaneous entry/exit of both main-line and branch-line.

Not covered in this post is the automatic control (another PLC) of the 2 main-line shadow-stations (8 and 7 tracks, of up to 2 trains per track), which also has extended automatic functions.
There is a manual 4 tracked shadow-station for the branchline.
Finally 2 automatic sequential shadows-stations for the alpine line (each holds 2 trains).

I´m happy to tell, that during this autumn, I finally achieved to integrate all parts of the layout into the control; It is now possible for a train (automatically and randomly selected) to make a run from shadow-station 1 (level 1) -> main station (level 5) -> branchline (level 6) -> alpine line (level 9)
-Both level 1 and level 9 are return-loops, eventually sending the train back the same way...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 05 December 2021 21:19:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Goof stuff Henrik! The control panel is also very neat and clean!
Dale
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline petestra  
#11 Posted : 06 December 2021 11:58:19(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks a lot for your interesting input on your operations, Henrik. I'm so glad you like this thread. I thought it

would be great to hear and learn about all our little habits of enjoying our trains. Cheers, Peter. Cool ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Offline marklinist5999  
#12 Posted : 06 December 2021 17:15:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hello Peter and all,

This photo shows my overall layout in a 3.3 x 2.6 metre shed with a 2.4m wide roller door for entry.
So it is a very simple single level round-and-round type layout with 3 stub-end storage sidings under the mountain, and it is totally C track.

UserPostedImage

The only variation from round and round is the interchange area where the steam engine will take-over from an electric engine and vice-versa.
Shunting can be done in a few industry sidings and a freight yard at the station.

All locomotives and railcars are digital controlled by an MS1 (60652).
I can stop trains using signals controlled by the Märklin push buttons (72720 etc).
My turnouts are all manually controlled.

Each train set will be on the layout for at least 4 weeks before I would bother to change it, because I enjoy seeing trains running as they did in real life.
That is in a hurry and able to stretch their legs.

Kimball
Kimball, does the front center lift up, or do you crawl underneath?

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 06 December 2021 23:14:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Peter and all,

…. a very simple single level round-and-round type layout with 3 stub-end storage sidings under the mountain, and it is totally C track.

Shunting can be done…….

Hello 5999
Well spotted - it is the Bain of my wife’s’ life seeing me crawl in. With working catenary I have found it impossible to design a lifting section, even though I modularised construction to allow for it. You can see the joints obvious at the front.

Will come a day when I can’t crawl.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline petestra  
#14 Posted : 06 December 2021 23:29:00(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Peter and all,

…. a very simple single level round-and-round type layout with 3 stub-end storage sidings under the mountain, and it is totally C track.

Shunting can be done…….

Hello 5999
Well spotted - it is the Bain of my wife’s’ life seeing me crawl in. With working catenary I have found it impossible to design a lifting section, even though I modularised construction to allow for it. You can see the joints obvious at the front.

Will come a day when I can’t crawl.
Kimball

Hi Kimball. Let's hope that day is a long way off for all of us. At 68 now I use small mini rugs to slide myself around on the floor for doing wiring and getting to

that center area and the two pop-out areas I have. The hard floor is really tough on the old knees when we get older. Thanks for your great contribution to this thread. Happy Holidays

to you and your family. Peter. BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline DaleSchultz  
#15 Posted : 06 December 2021 23:51:23(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
indeed, crawling is nasty for old knees on a hard floor. I highly recommend using the soft rubber matting that is available.
see https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2014/04/new-floor.html

Hopefully when I get to the point where I can no longer do stairs I happen to be in the basement where the layout is.

Dale
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline jcrtrains  
#16 Posted : 06 December 2021 23:55:45(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
This is a great thread and perhaps one that could be of help to me from the community.

The weakness of my layout in it's current form is operations. An old winrail sketch of the layout is attached as follows:

Layout pic.png

The layout is a 'twice around' loop that crosses over itself on the narrow part of the upper part of the picture. The dashed line on the lower part of the picture represents track that goes under the layout.

The layout has the following:
Large turntable so good storage of locos
Nine tracks of freight yard
5 tracks of main passenger station
1 track of village station (upper siding)
Partial double track

Note the pic is not entirely accurate for number of tracks in yard and station.

The layout is analogue, blocked, but without any kind of automation. The layout is very good for driving trains around and there is reasonable storage. What is missing is the following:
From and to operations
Local operations - setting out and picking up from sidings

Any suggestions that do not require adding additional square footage would be welcome.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 07 December 2021 01:35:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I had the opportunity to buy second hand carpet tiles and it has provided me with a soft floor, easy to vaccum and it also keeps the cold out., my layout has a height of 1 meter and I think at the time when I build the layout I was fully aware of crawling under the layout on more occasions than anticipated, I can sit comfortable underneath the layout and do any wiring or maintenance work., since we've added more insulation to the ceiling it was also required to stand on the layout, the modules are made out of steel frames and can carry up to 120kg., well off my total weight

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Rwill  
#18 Posted : 07 December 2021 02:03:25(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have two brilliant replacement knees which has brought me back to walking, cycling, swimming. However no one mentioned the down side that kneeling is not easy at all. My wife has been away for ten days and no members of the family were around at all so I thought I would undertake some overdue below board issues on the layout in peace. So I got under then realised I was really struggling to get back out but in agony, time and brute force I did get out. I have also noticed with increased age I get in position to start work and it becomes apparent that perhaps I should have had a wee before starting!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline PeFu  
#19 Posted : 07 December 2021 06:08:55(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
The Andreasburg-Mattiasberg layout is a dogbone configuration with shadow stations at each reversing loop, and a double-track line in between. I like to see several trains moving and stretch out on ”paradestrecken”, and I’m not a shunting guy at all. Trains with cab control cars and railcars shuttle between layout locations, all other trains are always moving in forward direction according to the dogbone.

I added platform announcements at Andreasburg, for 6 different categories of Swiss passenger trains plus the Hogwarts train:

https://www.marklin-user...orn-is-rising#post626385

Smile

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 07 December 2021 06:13:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimball. Let's hope that day is a long way off for all of us. At 68 now I use small mini rugs to slide myself around on the floor for doing wiring and getting to

that center area and the two pop-out areas I have. The hard floor is really tough on the old knees when we get older. Thanks for your great contribution to this thread. Happy Holidays

to you and your family. Peter. BigGrin

Hello Peter,

Thanks, have a very merry Christmas to you and family.
Kimball

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
indeed, crawling is nasty for old knees on a hard floor. I highly recommend using the soft rubber matting that is available.
Hopefully when I get to the point where I can no longer do stairs I happen to be in the basement where the layout is.

Yes Dale I do have the rubber matting at the duck-under where the knees go, and a reasonably soft carpet in the areas of control.
Happy Christmas to you and family.

Kimball

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Johnvr  
#21 Posted : 07 December 2021 08:42:50(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

Good topic, so let me contribute my share too :

My layout includes the following :
There is a ground level where the village is located. (blue layer in the picture)
There is an ascent/descent which links the ground level to the first level. (yellow layer in the picture)
There is a first level with staging area for 2 trains (red layer in the picture)

Both the ground level and the first level have a reversing loop on the left hand side - every train has to go to one of the reversing loops.

Garage Representation.jpg

There are 9 signals for staging trains, and a further 3 signals for block sequence control.
The operations go as follows :

Step 1 : 3 trains move between ground level and first level in a block sequence operation going from A-B-C to B-C-A in order
Step 2 : 4 trains travel individually and sequentially along their designated looping and reverse looping tracks and return to their point of origin, each of them doing an anti-clockwise journey through the tracks and then doing a clockwise journey to take it back to the start
Step 3 : 1 train travels on all available free tracks on both ground level and first level including both reverse loops and return to point of origin
Step 4 : 1 train reverses out of the station siding and travels down the track for about 2 metres, then stops, and them returns to station siding

The whole sequence is then repeated 2 times so that the initial trains starting as A-B-C follow through B-C-A and C-A-B and then back to A-B-C.
The entire sequence takes about 90 minutes to go from start to finish.

All the trains are digital.
I am using 3 x s88 feedback modules, and 24 x circuit tracks.
Central Station 2

Sound functions and routing all done by CS2 Memory Routing.

IMG_6081 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6080 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6085 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6086 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6077 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6078 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6079 - Copy.JPG

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline petestra  
#22 Posted : 07 December 2021 13:13:27(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have two brilliant replacement knees which has brought me back to walking, cycling, swimming. However no one mentioned the down side that kneeling is not easy at all. My wife has been away for ten days and no members of the family were around at all so I thought I would undertake some overdue below board issues on the layout in peace. So I got under then realised I was really struggling to get back out but in agony, time and brute force I did get out. I have also noticed with increased age I get in position to start work and it becomes apparent that perhaps I should have had a wee before starting!

Hello. I bought this a few years ago for my partner who enjoys gardening and can easily be used indoors. I'm sure they're available in the UK. Cheers, PeterCool

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline petestra  
#23 Posted : 07 December 2021 13:19:58(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Great operation there, John. Isn't it great to be able to set up these sequences? Love the photos too. Happy Holidays to you and yours. Peter. Cool

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Tie  
#24 Posted : 10 December 2021 12:34:37(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Impressive is an understatement to all you show above👍👍😍
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tie