Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mjn2ts  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2021 23:25:44(UTC)
Mjn2ts

United States   
Hello all,

I’ve mentioned on here before that I’ve been gifted my fathers collection (by my standards it’s a large collection, it took a cargo van to move it all). I plan to build a layout in my basement but before I can do that I need to have the water/moisture problems fixed down there and using it for storage is also out at the moment. I have limited space in the house due to the holidays and the kids coming home so I’m left with either the garage, which gets cold and stays cold or our enclosed porch which tends to stay a bit warmer but the temps fluctuate during the day and at night by probably 10-15 degrees. I’ve got the engines and rolling stock stored in the house but the track, signals, cantenary, transformers, scenery supplies (pretty much everything else to build a layout) may need to stay outside. Besides the engines and rolling stock what else absolutely needs to come in and what is the better option between the garage and porch?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mjn2ts
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2021 00:23:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Low humidty abd moderate temps. are best. I wouldn't keep any trains outside the house. Only track. Wrap them in newspaper and box all the loco's, cars, and turnouts or other thngs with moving parts. Ex; motorized cranes, crossing gates, etc.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2021 00:43:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Jeff,
However your trains and associated articles are being stored (most of us have limited choices) it is a good idea to make regular (every 3-6 months) inpections of it.
Things like mold, damp and insect damage can be commonplace.

The other thing of which to be careful is how they are wrapped.
Original boxes are best where possible.
Materials such as plastics and bubble wrap can have harmful chemicals which react with paints and other coatings on the model.
Acid free tissue is best as a first wrap, then use other paper and bubble wrap etc. as the outer.
Acid free tissue is available at office and/or art suppliers.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2021 20:04:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You can use the garage for storage. If you have some sealable storage bins, you can put little pouches of silica gel in each bin, which will help avoid humidity issues. You can find those at Walmart or many other places. Follow instructions as far as how often silica needs to be replaced.

Storage bins also help to protect the contents if there is any mold or moisture in the surrounding area.

Keep the models/boxes out of direct sunlight.

Items like catenary (masts, sections), signals, etc can be kept in a separate bin to protect them from other items that could cause damage.

I have a few Ikea Kallax shelves which I use for storing my rolling stock. Each bin can hold 9-12 Maerklin locomotives. I usually have 3 x 3 inserted with another 3 stacked laterally in front.
A slot can hold up to 15 Roco locomotive boxes or 10 Hag boxes. Models that come in sets are problematic due to the differences in box size. I normally store the larger ones on top of the shelf unit.

As far as the basement, do you have a French drain, weeping tile and/or vapor barrier around the basement? That can help eliminate water/humidity issues.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Mjn2ts  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2021 07:21:59(UTC)
Mjn2ts

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
You can use the garage for storage. If you have some sealable storage bins, you can put little pouches of silica gel in each bin, which will help avoid humidity issues. You can find those at Walmart or many other places. Follow instructions as far as how often silica needs to be replaced.

Storage bins also help to protect the contents if there is any mold or moisture in the surrounding area.

Keep the models/boxes out of direct sunlight.

Items like catenary (masts, sections), signals, etc can be kept in a separate bin to protect them from other items that could cause damage.

I have a few Ikea Kallax shelves which I use for storing my rolling stock. Each bin can hold 9-12 Maerklin locomotives. I usually have 3 x 3 inserted with another 3 stacked laterally in front.
A slot can hold up to 15 Roco locomotive boxes or 10 Hag boxes. Models that come in sets are problematic due to the differences in box size. I normally store the larger ones on top of the shelf unit.

As far as the basement, do you have a French drain, weeping tile and/or vapor barrier around the basement? That can help eliminate water/humidity issues.

Regards

Mike C

It’s cold enough here now that I’m not too worried about moisture out in the garage, I’m just wondering if the cold will cause problems. The engines and rolling stock is packed away in bins in the house, but everything else is outside for now. My basement is a mess, we’ve had water issues for 20 years that we’ve put off doing anything about until now. I gave a basement waterproofing contractor lined up to fix the issues but they don’t start until January 5th which is why I’m forced to store things either in the garage or on the enclosed porch.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2021 13:21:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jeff
Most has been already said. The key for storage is to avoid extreme temperatures.
Modelers in North America complain about Zinkpest much more than here in Europe. I suppose it is linked to larger temperature changes (-20°C to +50°C).
Ideally, if you can keep temperature between 10°C and 30°C it is good.
Keeping humidity low is also key (avoids rust on C Track studs) and sheet metal parts in cars and locos (but there are less and less of those in recent Märklin productions).

You may use
- a De-humidifier either and electric machine (costly, noisy, needs space, draws a lot of power) it needs a water evacuation pipe.
- use a humidity absorber (bin with moisture-absorbing bag). No noise, much cheaper but you need to empty the water bin and change the bags of chemicals). Better install is AT LEAST 2 meters away from your trains (Chemical vapor may corrode your trains). Certainly NOT under the train table (vapors go upwards vertically)

I discovered Chemical vapor corrosion when as a kid I left an Ammonia stone (used in those days to clean large soldering irons) in humid environment near a aluminum profile. The profile was totally corroded and useless after a couple of months.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline analogmike  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2021 13:59:09(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
In addition to all advise,
Pack everything in styrofoam coolers and tape the lids shut. This way you can minimize temperature spikes. When you are ready to open them, bring them inside for 3-4 days so they can get slowly acclimated to the temperature.
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2022 00:10:50(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
I've used a dehumidifier in my basement for the 20 years I've lived here. Nor problems with rust, zinkpest, etc. Most units sold around here have a reservoir, so you have to empty it on a regular basis (daily during the summer). Most newer units are fairly energy efficient, so that shouldn't be an issue, especially if your collection is valuable. I would never leave stuff outside or in a garage, even with an airtight bin. The temperature fluctuations in that environment can't be good, especially for motors or solenoids.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norbstarted1969
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2022 01:46:28(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Our central air keeps the basement dry and cool in summer.