Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2021 16:14:12(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I operate my layout with a CS3+. This is a br 111 with a 3 pole motor, delta decoder, and conventional light bulbs. it was running fine, then just stopped, but lighte remain on. I let it rest a couple hours. Now the lights flash like led's without a resistor. It runs fine in reverse.
The flashing was in sink with one of the M83 decoders harmonic beeps. I have to M83's. The second has a non digital turnout and signal connected. The beeping began when I connected the turnout, which is an M-track with a lamp. When I activated that turnout the beeping stoped, but the loco's lights still flash, but not while running in reverse. Only one small yard siding is M-track.
I've had this connected for months without any problems with other loco's, MFX, or MM.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2021 16:56:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I operate my layout with a CS3+. This is a br 111 with a 3 pole motor, delta decoder, and conventional light bulbs. it was running fine, then just stopped, but lighte remain on. I let it rest a couple hours. Now the lights flash like led's without a resistor. It runs fine in reverse.
The flashing was in sink with one of the M83 decoders harmonic beeps. I have to M83's. The second has a non digital turnout and signal connected. The beeping began when I connected the turnout, which is an M-track with a lamp. When I activated that turnout the beeping stoped, but the loco's lights still flash, but not while running in reverse. Only one small yard siding is M-track.
I've had this connected for months without any problems with other loco's, MFX, or MM.

I suspect the motor is presenting a short circuit to the cs3, which in turn is going into current limit. I suspect the addition of an m83 to be coincidental, but the obvious thing os to try removing that m83 first. It could be that the output of the m83 is dead short, thereby also overloading the cs3 output.

Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2021 17:05:08(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Now the lights flash like led's without a resistor.

You mean they instantly go up in smoke? :-)

I have to M83's. The second has a non digital turnout and signal connected.

So that makes them digital.

The beeping began when I connected the turnout, which is an M-track with a lamp. When I activated that turnout the beeping stoped, but the loco's lights still flash, but not while running in reverse.

It sound like the turnout is shorting the signal out. Remove the turnout and see if the problem goes away. If so then test the center rail to the running rails for continuous circuit, with turnout set straight and curved.

The Delta decoder may be getting confused if it is getting analog or digital signal from the track, or one of the wires through the coil is broken.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2021 17:34:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Dale, what do you mean by a broken wire through the coil? In the Loco, turnout, or signal? I just ran my br 120 Delta, and it was fine both directions. It isn't equiped with red tailights though.
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2021 18:50:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I set up a C track oval with the MS2 and track box. Same result. Must be the decoder.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2021 18:55:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The loco motor has two coils, one for each direction of travel. If one wire is broken, it wont go in one direction.
It could also be that the output stage of the decoder. If you remove the decoder, you can test the loco by applying analog power to one and then the other coils. If both work, then the decoder is dead.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 22 November 2021 19:32:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's kindly Dale! I removed the body once, and didn't see the green wire had come off it's solder point on the motor field coil.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999