Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2021 13:22:17(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello Everyone

I have a problem considering annual fee of my membership in Märklin Insider Club.
I wonder whether I am still member or not member, because Insider Club Staff don't answer my e-mails at all.

I send an e-mail to Club telling that my credit card is not valid anymore Because I have changed Bank. They cannot charge
my old card and my new card cannot be charged outside of Finnlad. ( This is security issue, I have had bad experiences ).
So I have asked how I could pay my membership fee to club in another way and they have not answered to my questions.

I could pay my fee using bank money transfer but apparently they have not red my e-mails at all.

I would like to be member and have all benefits from Märklin . . . or if not I will sell all my staff . . .
and forget the whole inetrest playing with Märklin railways.Crying Crying

I ask if you have any idea to wake up Märklin Insider Club staff to answer my questions

Jukka

Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2021 13:34:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I don't think that they will take bank transfers, because their bank will charge them a fee to accept your transfer..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline aos  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2021 14:08:41(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Jukka, I had a similar problem way back when Marklin were having insolvency issues around 2009. They seemed to be in a state of limbo. I could not get my credit card renewed on their system. They thought I was still a member and for several years they continued to supply me with member benefits. No amount of emails worked. Eventually, they stopped and I was no "longer" a member. I decided though that I would use the funds that I would have spent on the Insider Club to actually buy more Marklin. For me, it was a win situation. Alan.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aos
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2021 15:02:29(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have not been an insder meber since the early Millenium. I've never ordred any insider models. Too much money, and politics involved, plus I didn't like how Marklin began issuing so many "exclusives" as limited MHI models, then as they reissued later very similar models, any premium collectability is nill. I suppose a 5 year warranty on Insider models is a plus though.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 20 November 2021 15:08:54(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I don't think that they will take bank transfers, because their bank will charge them a fee to accept your transfer..

They do accept bank transfers, at least from Norway.
Offline Bogenschütze  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2021 15:38:03(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Yes, they do accept bank transfers. I had the same experience with my credit card being declined by my bank when I registered to join the Insider Club in June this year.. I contacted Insider Club customer service by email and after 3 months they eventually replied giving me their bank account details and instructing me to quote my membership number as the reference. I made the payment and 2 weeks later I received in the post 3 envelopes containing all the magazines and Club news, etc, that I had missed. It seems that their customer service is currently very busy and is taking a long time to respond.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2021 15:53:00(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello and thank You all telling me your thoughts.BigGrin BigGrin

I hope that perhaps Insider Staff might contact me in future because I want to be member still.

It's good to live in hopeBigGrin BigGrin
Jukka

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 20 November 2021 16:21:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Forget about being an insider and just enjoy your layout. I have purchased two insider models at less than the insider price and have not joined as I dont see any advantage. If they can not reply to you then why bother with them.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Mman  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2021 17:37:37(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I had similar trouble this year, my bank swapped from Visa to Mastercard and although I filled out a change of card online, (they won’t accept change of card details via telephone anymore) when M tried to take the money the bank refused for security reasons. Neither M or the bank told me.
As the year went on and I noted others were receiving the magazines and I wasn’t I emailed M - months ago from now. The email, like yours, was never answered so eventually I telephoned them at which point they advised me that the payment had failed back in March, I told them to try again which they did - not immediately but a couple of weeks later. Then the bank told me via an automated message that they had not only turned down M (again) but also turned down Gaugemaster, both on security grounds suspecting fraud.
After visiting the bank and getting them to remove M and GM from their fraud list I telephoned M again and asked them to retry. They said they would at some time probably in two weeks, whether they have tried and whether they were successful I don’t yet know until my next card statement, but the backlog 3 lots of magazine arrived on Thursday this week.
It was a lot easier when Gaugemaster handled the club within the UK, but mostly I’m lucky that so far those who answer the ‘phone at M speak good English - I had looked up a few key words in German first just in case!
So fingers crossed and best of luck with the system.
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 20 November 2021 18:31:36(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Never been a member, never missed anything. It is just a marketing trick.

One can enjoy your Märklin trains just fine without feeling you have to be an 'insider'. As suggested, the 'advantage' is purely psychological... and you are getting more stress by trying to be a member.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Mman  
#11 Posted : 20 November 2021 19:33:46(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
I subscribe to 5 different periodicals, 1 of which is online and gratis, and each keeps me in touch with any developments or new items associated with each.
Only snag is the magazines/books begin to take up lots of space after a few years. This literature, particularly the Märklin stuff, helps to maintain my interest and I don’t begrudge any of it because each enhance my various hobbies.
Time may come when I have to drop one or more because of cost, this year I cancelled my subscription to a broadsheet newspaper that I had had for decades when I realized that it was costing £800 per year for basically the same news that was online and in the free newspaper (called ‘The Metro’).
ChrisG
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline mbarreto  
#12 Posted : 20 November 2021 20:01:02(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
In 2020 I stopped the Insider subscription. I liked it but it was getting a lot of space for the magazines and now I
look at the no subscription as a discount of 80 euros in 1 locomotive.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Mman  
#13 Posted : 21 November 2021 20:49:58(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
In the words of Victor Meldrew - I don’t believe it!
Another automated notification from my bank this morning to say they had refused Märklin’s request for my insider subscription yet again, third time this year. They assure me that these refusals are completely random, yeah.
I will have to think of another way to get them the money. Also they repeated that anything beginning with ‘Gebr’ is highly suspicious.
ChrisG
Offline hxmiesa  
#14 Posted : 22 November 2021 14:20:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post

I would like to be member and have all benefits from Märklin . . . or if not I will sell all my staff . . .
and forget the whole inetrest playing with Märklin railways.Crying Crying

Are you a 5 year old kid??? LOL

I agree that exclusive clubs are marketing ploys for the fanboys.
All the stuff can be gotten online; Documentation thanks to helpful members, and train-products thanks to Ebay and the like.
I recently got an anniversay BR10 steamer for less than €200,- including shipping.
I also have other stuff (all from Ebay, and all like-new); Kessel-waggons, cleaning waggons...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Don Morris  
#15 Posted : 16 December 2021 04:23:15(UTC)
Don Morris

New Zealand   
I also am having the same issue regarding payment of membership fee. Eventually I got an email suggesting that I register my card with 3D secure, I checked this out with my card provider, they said it was something to do with card security. I did this resent card details still to no avail. I have emailed Insider a couple of times, get a reply referring to some ticket number and they will contact me in due course, does not happen. so much for so called German efficiency. I get a lot from the magazines as I am not that knowlegable with electronics, the promotion of products are not important. Like another correspondent I also considering going to another brand.
Cheers and best wishes to you all.
Ted
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 16 December 2021 06:11:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
We've had lots of comments telling you not to bother with the Insider Club, it's just a marketing ploy. They might be right in their opinions but they don't do diddly squat to solve the issue at hand.

You need some patience when dealing with the Insider Club, emails going unanswered is not unusual. The key is to keep trying.

Sorry that there's no magic solution when dealing with them other than persistence.

You could try calling them, but be aware they only take calls at certain times - see https://www.maerklin.de/en/clubs/contact

They do have some English speakers, hopefully you can get one that can help.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 16 December 2021 09:04:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Don Morris Go to Quoted Post
so much for so called German efficiency
Märklin is in Swabia. They do not even speak real German there.
There is a joke in Germany: How can you make a long thin copper wire? Just toss a penny between two Swabians.

They are very efficient at cost-cutting. This may have a negative side-effect on the service quality.

Girocards are very common in Germany, but credit cards are not.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 16 December 2021 10:48:39(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Re; not real German? There are three dialects. High, middle, and low.
So one could say that people in the southern USA don't speak real English?
Or that those in Australia don't? Some British and Aussies don't understand each other well.
Even in the UK there are a few dialects.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 16 December 2021 12:06:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jukka
The best is to call Märklin Insider (+ 49 (0) 71 61 / 6 08 - 2 13), then they solve the problem immediately. German (I did it many times) and probably English.
A few days before Christmas is very busy so you need to be patient
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline PJMärklin  
#20 Posted : 16 December 2021 12:29:32(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hi '99

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
...So one could say that people in the southern USA don't speak real English? ...

Well, I could understand them all ! BigGrin One Southern Lady even commented to my wife in conversation "I love your accent", whilst we were entertaining the same reciprocal thought Laugh.

... Some British and Aussies don't understand each other well...

No, I am at variance there and when it does happen, I have found it has nothing to do with English language.

Whilst there are indeed "dialects ", I do not otherwise agree with you.

I feel I am passably widely travelled amongst the "English-Speaking Peoples of the World" (as Winston Churchill beautifully described our wonderful language geography) and whilst finding accents and colloquialisms most interesting, I have found all these folk to be understandable, indeed I believe this is a valid generalisation ; (yes, even the Kiwis to our East, after some pondering of what they are saying OhMyGod)

PJ Smile

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 16 December 2021 16:48:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Sez he from the land where 'six' is pronounced 'sex' and 'fish and chips' comes out 'fush und chups'. I've been watching the Ashes on the TV and have had to listen to a continuous commentary of Aussie accents raving on about how wonderful their team is

And they aren't even the number 1 ranked side or World Test playing Champions...

Kath, the side line commentator, while no doubt knowledgeable about the game is especially bad with the Aussie accent.

But I can understand them, especially when they use common slang terms - a particular discussion about the word 'grouse' comes to mind....

I'm sure it's the same between Swabians and the rest of Germany.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline stevebkk  
#22 Posted : 16 December 2021 18:11:48(UTC)
stevebkk

Thailand   
I disengaged from the Insider Club 5 years ago Jukka when I realised that they did not care about people resident in Asia.....but maybe it's outside Germany!? Called them, emailed them, even sent a detailed letter addressed to Florian Sieber, CEO, listing how I'd been treated. Nothing. Pity that such a great company is so incompetent with this initiative.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevebkk
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 16 December 2021 23:47:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Cant believe how anybody would give up Marklin because they cant join this club. I am not a member but I fail to see how it is really that important.
I had a look at magazines and any offers but just bought a couple of insider models cheaper from a dealer.
However everybody has a different view on the hobby and for those enjoying the club then the members bank should be told to accept the payment.
I buy all my Marklin from Germany and Mastercard is accepted with no problem so why not the club membership. Can cash not be sent to the Clubs bank by bank transfer.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 16 December 2021 23:56:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The differences in a peoples/national culture is a minefield.
I have two daughters living in Europe and I hear lots about Germans and Danes, English and Germans etc etc ..........
That is why we pay big bucks for diplomats and diplomatic services, although it is doubtful they can do the job 100%.

When dealing with firms overseas, you "have to keep your wits about you".
I don't know if that is a widely used English phrase so some may not understand.
Translated it means "be careful"".

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#25 Posted : 19 December 2021 17:51:15(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Re; not real German? There are three dialects. High, middle, and low.

I beg to differ:
Continental_West_Germanic_languages.png
Source: Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedi.../index.php?curid=1485476
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Markey  
#26 Posted : 14 February 2022 21:48:08(UTC)
Markey

Ireland   
I have not been an insder meber since the early Millenium. I've never ordred any insider models. Too much money, and politics involved, plus I didn't like how Marklin began issuing so many "exclusives" as limited MHI models, then as they reissued later very similar models, any premium collectability is nill. I suppose a 5 year warranty on Insider models is a plus though.

I totally agree with what you said about the Insider Club Me like a clown thought I'd make money long term on insider models as a collector item.I nearly bought the Senator Set ref 39100 then a year or 2 later they brought out another version.
I got 2 locos as part of the Carl Bellingrodt edition ref37965 and 37452 thought I'd make money long term but have decided to use them ebay has destroyed any chance of making money long term on models plus both come in a huge box and I will keep what the locos are packaged in on the the locos and the rest will go up the attic.
The one and only Insider model I bought was ref 39050 and I plan this year to run it on a layout I'm planning.
I didn't bother paying the membership since that year whatever it was for 39050.
All they want is your money end off.
My rule is buy what you personally like not because its meant to be a limited run.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markey
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 14 February 2022 22:03:44(UTC)
H0

I suppose a 5 year warranty on Insider models is a plus though.
The 5 year warranty comes with all MHI models - and Insider models are a special variation of MHI models.

Sometimes the only thing "exclusive" about Insider or MHI models is the road number. Take the UP Big Boy as an example.

Only few Märklin models have increasing collector value. And sometimes the increase could be short-lived. Probably better to buy shares, houses, or gold if you are looking for long-term profit.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 15 February 2022 10:22:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've given up 30 years ago, the thought of having any investment value for my trains

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Mman  
#29 Posted : 15 February 2022 11:25:41(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
When I switched to Märklin in the 1990s I kept my collection of Hornby Dublo and Wrenn railways in the hope that they would appreciate in value. They did - but then the price came down again. So I just enjoy looking at (some of) them in their display case beside the stairs.
I’ll let my heirs worry about the value of my model railways.
ChrisG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#30 Posted : 15 February 2022 13:27:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
My experience with dealing with the Insider Club is that you need to be patient with them and above all be courteous, even though you might be on the verge of whacking your screen with your keyboard.

It usually take 3 or 4 emails to get something done. I recently had an issue with getting my credit card details entered on the Insider website - not an issue actually entering the details but getting Marklin to believe that I had entered the correct card details. It took several attempts at entering the card details and it wasn't until I used the verification process on the website that they believed I entered the correct card number.

Another member of our Marklin Club had exactly the same problem with the same resolution.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#31 Posted : 15 February 2022 19:01:05(UTC)
Goofy

There are thousands of the member and many of them write mail to Märklin which seems a full time work for the staff personal to try answers someones questions and do some service.
Try to write in both german and english if they did got mail to understand too.
Märklin is a big company.
I agree service are too slow and here should Märklin fix the problem.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy